Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

When the whole entire group lodges a rant on one nationality, then you have a valid point.
The servers I know have no complaint against anybody much less a particular nationality.
Also they do pretty darn good on their net incomes from tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Way to disparage a whole entire group of service industry folk, in a town that is built off it.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM

There ya go!!! Its all about the service rendered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaSellsOrlando View Post
How old are you, brilliant mind? And what is your level of education?

Have you heard about motivation? What do you think is a better motivator -- the fear (of losing the job) or the money (that you get for providing a good service)? And what do you think managers learn the first thing to be more effective?

And in regards to replacement -- do you know how much it costs to the business to train an employee? and how long does it take to get back to the smooth operation after bringing a new person? and how it affects the company's revenue?

Maybe, it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to use some of that Pell Grant and get at least AA in Business Administration -- that would save you some of those questions and possibly make you happier on your job.

Back in my first year of college, I served in one of the chain restaurants in the evenings, and I always had fun because I treated every guest in my own house yet I tried not to bother them with lengthy conversations, and I always made in tips by far more than I would get with the fixed pay; therefore, it's up to us to make a lemonade.

No offense and good luck with everything!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:44 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
I dont even take the OPs posts seriously.....for somebody who calls themselves "HappyGoing" they certainly aren't very happy

Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM

I am sure that the attitude of the OP is a cause for their unhappiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont even take the OPs posts seriously.....for somebody who calls themselves "HappyGoing" they certainly aren't very happy

Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am sure that the attitude of the OP is a cause for their unhappiness.
I'm not the most positive person in the world myself but I hate seeing posters like them come on here. I think they are just a troll trying to stir the sh*t one pot at a time if you ask me

Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaSellsOrlando View Post
How old are you, brilliant mind? And what is your level of education?

Have you heard about motivation? What do you think is a better motivator -- the fear (of losing the job) or the money (that you get for providing a good service)? And what do you think managers learn the first thing to be more effective?

And in regards to replacement -- do you know how much it costs to the business to train an employee? and how long does it take to get back to the smooth operation after bringing a new person? and how it affects the company's revenue?

Maybe, it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to use some of that Pell Grant and get at least AA in Business Administration -- that would save you some of those questions and possibly make you happier on your job.

Back in my first year of college, I served in one of the chain restaurants in the evenings, and I always had fun because I treated every guest in my own house yet I tried not to bother them with lengthy conversations, and I always made in tips by far more than I would get with the fixed pay; therefore, it's up to us to make a lemonade.

No offense and good luck with everything!
Okay newbie, who whizzled in your Wheaties? You quoted me and act like you're talking to the OP so who knows what's going on here...I'm 53 and worked successfully in the Hospitality Industry for 18 years, 15 years of which was as a Waiter in all levels from casual to fine dining and have a Bachelor's Degree....while you're apparently still in college given your worldly response. I know well of motivation and there is no single definition as it ranges across the board in terms of types and what works with whom...though given your limited experience you no doubt haven't figured that out yet. Don't bore me with your Business 101 blah-blah about costs of doing business, I've been in management for quite some time (10+ years) and get the cost benefits of lower turnover which plagues the Restaurant industry for the very reason we're talking about. The point being made that with the current payscale of $2.13 an hour and the reliance on a certain level of tips, it's difficult to maintain a quality staff in some establishments. A move to an hourly wage system would help not only those establishments maintain a higher level of service, it would also provide a higher wage for a more motivated employee who will stick around for awhile. While the CEOs and higher ranks in corporate-restaurant land could give a flip about employee longevity, I can guarantee unit management would do backflips for a salaried waitstaff.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Just reading this post you can tell who is a decent tipper and who's giving $2 on a $18 dollar check.
If the service was so bad that it warranted such a small tip, I'd talk to the manager and leave nothing--but possibly slip the bus boy a few bucks if they were doing a good job.

I tip 20% on the entire tab including tax, rounded up. If I BYOB I also toss on an extra $5-25 to cover the lost tip on the bottle I didn't buy from the house.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM

411 posts, read 831,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If the service was so bad that it warranted such a small tip, I'd talk to the manager and leave nothing--but possibly slip the bus boy a few bucks if they were doing a good job.

I tip 20% on the entire tab including tax, rounded up. If I BYOB I also toss on an extra $5-25 to cover the lost tip on the bottle I didn't buy from the house.
If people don't like the service, yet they decide to stay anyway, they still should leave a 20% tip. If people don't want to leave a tip they should leave the restaurant immediately, rather than sitting there like a moron receiving service that they don't enjoy.

I suspect you, like me, probably always get great service wherever you go. If you notice the people who are always complaining about receiving bad service are total morons who don't deserve any service. My main restaurant experience comes from eating in them every day, but I imagine that being a server in most restaurants is a horrible job, primarily because you constantly have to deal with moronic fools that are on some sort of power trip and really get a thrill out of treating food service workers poorly, so I always make sure to tip these people well.

I was in a restaurant once and some foolish moron was complaining to the server like an angry little baby that she brought him the wrong side dish and I asked the server if she would like for me and my associates to take the guy outside and break every bone in his body to teach him a lesson about how to properly speak to people. The guy quickly turned his anger toward me, but then quickly changed his tone once he realized that me and my friends were fully ready to beat him to death in front of his family. The funny thing is that I'm the one that got asked to leave by restaurant management, but I still paid my bill and left a tip and informed the guy that we'd be waiting outside.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Exactly. Always harping & carrying on about something.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM

53 posts, read 120,557 times
The OP post should be taken off. To say Americans hate anyone is offensive to me. I don't hate anyone, let alone the Brits. They are delightful to me. The OP needs therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando