U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

If you have a car, move to Seminole County ,checking out the Sanford, Lake Mary and Altamnte areas, It's not all expensive and there are apartment dealsaround that are much better than in Orlando and way better than NYC
Crime here really is not a big thing depending n where you're coming from in NYC. It's just that it's increased recently and people here aren't used to it and the press does nothing but exaggerate it.
But this area is not NYC. I'm a native New Yorker and have lived here since '93, an d still miss NYC. But Central Fl is a nice place to live if you can live without really good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 PM

90 posts, read 215,335 times
Default Winter Haven, Lake Wales, Lakeland

Good places for family. Slower paced living. I have a young adult daughter and her and her friends would go to Orlando or Tampa for dancing, etc.

Lakeland and Winter Haven will have everything you want, evening dancing nights out. Do a search at the Orlando Forum to find out more about Lakeland, Winter Haven and Lake Wales. K

Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM

40 posts, read 154,634 times
I will suggest doing some research on Winter Park. I lived there for a few years, via NYC. It is 5 minutes from downtown Orlando and you will find several Starbucks, a Whole Foods, decent (non-chain) restaurants including sushi, Thai, Italian, Greek, etc., and fun things like Jazz festivals and outdoor farmers markets. It's about 1/2 hour from Disney and Universal Studios.

If you are coming from the suburbs of NY, it won't be as much of a culture shock, but if you are coming from Manhattan, prepare to slow down a bit and get used to strip malls and lots of driving. Unless you are going into witness protection.....stay away from Sanford! You will think you have died and woken up in an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard!

Here are some links to check out........

Welcome to the City of Winter Park (http://www.ci.winter-park.fl.us/2005/index.asp - broken link)

City of Orlando

Harry P. Leu Gardens

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 11,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR007 View Post
Hi Guys ,

I'm moving to Orlando, by end of this month and wanted to know if Winter Haven is a good neighborhood to settle down. If not, I am looking for apts rentals around Lake Wales? Any Suggestions are welcome..

Sorry buddy but you're in the wrong area. Thats in Polk County!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 28,411 times
Crime isnt that bad. Compared to how it was in early 90s yes its gotten worse but not like it may be in NYC. Thats what happens when a city starts to grow and get crowded. You do hear about alot of accidents though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey10 View Post
Stay out of florida, crime is really bad, if you teens have issues, they will only get worse with the bad influence already here.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Where is a good place to live near Orlando, where crime is not jumping off the charts?
Also how much should I expect to pay in rent for a two bedroom?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,798,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
Where is a good place to live near Orlando, where crime is not jumping off the charts?
Also how much should I expect to pay in rent for a two bedroom?
Lake mary, Longwood, Winter springs, Oviedo. Windermere and for a more hip area near Downtown, Winter park the cops there are right on top of things so crime stays out of there compared to Orlando Proper but there is alot of traffic in some aras.

The Park ave area in Winter park has a kind of urban vibe to it

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
how is the community in blackstone landing in kissimmee

Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM

29 posts, read 71,851 times
The original poster (KPR007) said they were moving from NY, not necessarily NYC. NY is a large state from Long Island all the way up to Buffalo. So crime and cost of living depend on the area. BTW, I'm also from NY (Long Island) an am thinking of moving to the Orlando area. I'm glad I came upon this site so I know what places to avoid before we come down to take a look.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
Thumbs up Blackstone Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by patash3 View Post
how is the community in blackstone landing in kissimmee
Hi Patash:

We were worried when we moved down from NYC too -- but 4 years later I am very happy we wound up in Blackstone. I love it.

Blackstone is a subdivision -- it is not a gated community but it's pretty quiet. The high school is walking distance. The middle and elementary school kids are bused to our front entrances.

At first it was kind of weird for us because Blackstone is surrounded by cow fields so the change was drastic for us but 5-10 minutes on the road and you hit the tourism capital of the world - so if you have an option.

Blackstone is close enough but far enough from everything so that we are not affected too much by the influx. They expanded the shopping plaza south on Poinciana Blvd and constructed a Lowes, restaurants, clothes stores, etc. -- looks great and they are constructing one at the light -- they put a Home Depot so far.

We have about 300 families. Although it is a community that is 4 years old - it is just starting to pull together -- we have a Neighborhood Watch in our community. We are starting a soccer team soon and are having a Family Day Event in May.

It is a mixed community but it is pre-dominantly Hispanic. Most of the homeowners live in the community -- there are a few renters but not too many. The association fees are about $400/year.

I'm glad I moved to Blackstone -- my kids are happy here. It's a middle-class family-oriented community. Weekends you can see the kids riding their bikes and playing -- by evening all you hear are cows and donkeys in the fields.

Downside to Blackstone -- doesn't have a clubhouse. On a scale from 1 to 10 -- I'd say it's an 8. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando