Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 14,494 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a little help on deciding if this is a good idea. I am thinking about redoing my main living space about 1800 sqft. As it sits there is rug and 12x12 tile dividing up rooms as you walk around the house. I am thinking I would like to put down hardwood through out the main area so all the rooms flow. I would leave bathrooms and bedroom alone for now. Maybe upgrade those to tile someday. Just trying to make sure I have thought of everything before I pull the trigger on this big job. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
I would at least consider the porcelain tile that is made to look like wood. We just installed it in a playhouse and it looks amazing and is incredible durable. I love (old, real) wood floors but am not a fan of the engineered hardwoods. I just don't think they are durable enough.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound14 View Post
I am looking for a little help on deciding if this is a good idea. I am thinking about redoing my main living space about 1800 sqft. As it sits there is rug and 12x12 tile dividing up rooms as you walk around the house. I am thinking I would like to put down hardwood through out the main area so all the rooms flow. I would leave bathrooms and bedroom alone for now. Maybe upgrade those to tile someday. Just trying to make sure I have thought of everything before I pull the trigger on this big job. Thank you.
Hi, I can tell you engineered hardwood as others said is not durable, especially with a slab foundation , we live in NC ( but I want to return to Fl) and have a ranch with hardwood floors let me tell you anything that fall on it will leave a dent, our builder (adams Homes) glued the floor down, another mistake, because when the slab settled and cracked it pulled apart the wood floor leaving gaps in the floor, so with that said, think about it, PS they say you can sand the floor maybe 2X at most , not like reg. hardwood, good luck !

Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
I'd go laminate...if you put down a quality underlayment you don't get that irritating clacking noise. It looks great and is pretty much impervious to dents and scratches.

Definitely go 'floating' floor, do not glue down. Whatever you do, double-check that your installer has lots of experience.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Ok, so looks like I will be headed towards high end laminate. I have heard they came out with better underlayment. Maybe cork or something like that. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, so looks like I will be headed towards high end laminate. I have heard they came out with better underlayment. Maybe cork or something like that. Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure that's the route I would go. High end laminate is like saying boutique Wal-Mart.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 PM

laminate has always bothered me. From the weird glossy finishes to the sound of walking on it. I love the wood look that's why I am confused. I am trying to stay away from tiling the whole house lol.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
laminate has always bothered me. From the weird glossy finishes to the sound of walking on it. I love the wood look that's why I am confused. I am trying to stay away from tiling the whole house lol.
I hear you. I didn't realize you were going to do the work yourself.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
There are many different quality levels of engineered hardwoods. We went with Ua brand, which has a very good Aluminum Oxide finish, and picked a harder wood species that doesn't dent easily, had installers who were willing to go heavy on the glue/moisture barrier (important down here) and are still very happy with the floors going on three years later.

Laminate.... ugh.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
I'd advise against it. If I lived in Greenville SC or Asheville I would do it, but not in FL. Hard to not have the gaps on a slab like mentioned above, and what about the moisture down here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando