Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times

Advertisements

Why not Maitland or Altamonte Springs? You'll be about halfway between the two. Rents in downtown Orlando are going to be a bit high for a recent college graduate just starting out, not unless you find a roommate or a high paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 AM

38 posts, read 52,042 times
I agree Thorton Park/downtown area is the best for your situation. Even for me, I would like to move there eventually. It is expensive though so you need to consider price. If price is a big obstacle I know one apartment in particular, St. Regis Apartments which is an older place but more affordable and in a good location for urban lifestyles. Lots of younger people living there. Just one idea.

You could also try the uptown area. It is just north of downtown and also lots of younger people. It is along Orange Ave starting at Colonial drive going north up to the train tracks. Here you could try renting a condo unit in Uptown Place or getting an apartment at Camden Orange Court. There are also new apartments opening soon (SteelHouse). There are some ground floor restaurants on orange ave there, but the main bars would still be a very long walk (maybe too far?) away. You could walk to Livingston St though and take the free Lymmo bus deeper into downtown.

Another thing to mention is since you will be working in Lake Mary, you could possibly commute via train starting in May when the Sunrail opens. It is a new train if you haven't heard and there will be 2 downtown stations and a station in Lake Mary as well. If your job is close enough to the Lake Mary station, you could easily find a place close to a station downtown.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahan View Post
Hello,

There is a very good chance that I will be moving to the Orlando area in May for a job in Lake Mary. I've done some research and it seems like Lake Mary would not be a great place to live for someone my age, so I have come to this group in search of advice.

I am a 23-year-old guy, I just graduated from college in May, and I currently live in the Philadelphia area. I prefer to live in a more downtown, urban environment that is close to a bar/club scene. I will be living alone, and I do not mind a commute to work but I do not want to be unreasonably far from the office in Lake Mary.

Where is the ideal area for me to look when it comes to apartment hunting? Is commuting from Orlando to Lake Mary unreasonable? If so, where is the best place to live for someone like me? What is the approximate cost of living for someone in a one-bedroom apartment?

Any advice/information you can provide would be awesome. Thanks!
If you are looking for a true urban vibe the best place for you would be Downtown Orlando/Thornton Park area, this area is about as urban as you will find in the Central Florida area, the area is filled with bars/clubs, high-rise condo towers with trendy studio lofts, Lake Eola and city parks, major sporting/concert venues nearby, and lots of young professionals and young couples.. Baldwin Park and Winter Park are also nearby..

The SunRail system will open later this year and will have three stations in the Downtown area and will take you all the way up to Lake Mary station.. In the meantime, you would need a car for your daily commute to Lake Mary which could be anywhere from 30-60 min depending on traffic and conditions on I-4 which is the busiest interstate highway in the area.. It is most definetly doable and is worth the sacrifice if you are seeking an urban vibe and when SunRail opens you can try that out and possibly not even need a car anymore!!!

Last edited by MrKnight; 01-13-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,288 times
Thornton Park would be a nice place, but there are plenty of other places that would suit what you're looking for. Try checking out College Park or Colonial Town. A friend of mine lives in Colonial Town and she loves it. She is close I-4 but far enough away to get away from the noise. She is a bike ride away from a couple bars and a short drive to downtown. Mills Avenue and the streets off of it have a lot going on as well as Colonial Ave.
I would advise against Altamonte. There are a ton of people and not many bars or clubs for the young crowd. It's very commercial and generic there with a mall and corporate restaurants and shops.
Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

52 posts, read 200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie2Fattie View Post
Thornton Park would be a nice place, but there are plenty of other places that would suit what you're looking for. Try checking out College Park or Colonial Town. A friend of mine lives in Colonial Town and she loves it. She is close I-4 but far enough away to get away from the noise. She is a bike ride away from a couple bars and a short drive to downtown. Mills Avenue and the streets off of it have a lot going on as well as Colonial Ave.
I would advise against Altamonte. There are a ton of people and not many bars or clubs for the young crowd. It's very commercial and generic there with a mall and corporate restaurants and shops.
Good Luck!
Yes, agreed. I forgot about Mills/50.

Also agreed with you about Altamonte.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
College Park's nigtlife is extremely limited. No real bars, only restaurants where people relax and hang out. Mills 50 and Ivanhoe Village are both districts with growing nightlife and have bars. Any of those areas just outside of downtown (Colonialtown mainly) put you within striking distance of downtown. I would still go for Thornton Park first, and if it is out of your price range start looking immediately north and east of downtown. It might be hard to find rentals around there unless you don't mind renting a house from someone. The growing Uptown area has a lot of apartments. Steel House is brand new and looks really nice. NORA is going to open this year and will be more upscale. You can take an O-cartz (stretch golf carts with baring music) from a lot of those areas to the downtown bars for $4 each way rather than drive.

O-CARTZ - Get Around Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando