Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 12,472 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There is a very good chance that I will be moving to the Orlando area in May for a job in Lake Mary. I've done some research and it seems like Lake Mary would not be a great place to live for someone my age, so I have come to this group in search of advice.

I am a 23-year-old guy, I just graduated from college in May, and I currently live in the Philadelphia area. I prefer to live in a more downtown, urban environment that is close to a bar/club scene. I will be living alone, and I do not mind a commute to work but I do not want to be unreasonably far from the office in Lake Mary.

Where is the ideal area for me to look when it comes to apartment hunting? Is commuting from Orlando to Lake Mary unreasonable? If so, where is the best place to live for someone like me? What is the approximate cost of living for someone in a one-bedroom apartment?

Any advice/information you can provide would be awesome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Thornton Park/South Eola. That is where you want to be rather than right smack downtown which is loud. Rent would be between $1000 - $1600 depending on which condo building you choose. You would be living next to Lake Eola which is the focal point of downtown with the conveniences of a full grocery store located at the Paramount. Lots of bars and clubs are a short walk to the downtown core and the Thornton Park area itself has some low key bars as well.

The Paramount and Aspire are managed properties that you can visit and get tours. There is also Post Parkside which is an apartment building. A couple blocks north of Aspire is a brand new apartment tower called Skyhouse opening soon. There are also other towers that are condos that you can rent from people. Check out craigslist and type in Lake Eola.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 28,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Thornton Park/South Eola. That is where you want to be rather than right smack downtown which is loud. Rent would be between $1000 - $1600 depending on which condo building you choose. You would be living next to Lake Eola which is the focal point of downtown with the conveniences of a full grocery store located at the Paramount. Lots of bars and clubs are a short walk to the downtown core and the Thornton Park area itself has some low key bars as well.

The Paramount and Aspire are managed properties that you can visit and get tours. There is also Post Parkside which is an apartment building. A couple blocks north of Aspire is a brand new apartment tower called Skyhouse opening soon. There are also other towers that are condos that you can rent from people. Check out craigslist and type in Lake Eola.
I agree with Pete C. Thornton Park is one of the best places close to downtown Orlando and walking distance. You would not be disappointed. Camden Orange Court is another place within walking distance to downtown and its relatively reasonably priced.

Another option that comes to mind would be Altamonte Springs - near the Altamonte Mall. There are places available for a bit less than in downtown Orlando. Still relatively close to it though and there are number of local bars and restaurants close by.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

28 posts, read 61,797 times
just out of curiosity, what kind of job are you getting?

and yes, downtown orlando may be the best place for you to live.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM

290 posts, read 688,641 times
Yeah, anything downtown would be your only option..because Orlando in general is extremely boring for a young person your age unless you're right there in the bar/club scene, which downtown is the only place for consistency with that. Especially coming from somewhere like Philly. Driving on I-4 (Interstate 4) will be miserable though.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM

112 posts, read 328,038 times
orlando to lake mary commute on I-4 wouldnt be too bad because most of the traffic would be going in the opposite direction during rush hours.

on the otherhand, im not sure how much traffic you would encounter downtown getting to and from the I-4 on/off ramps during rush hour.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
I don't think anyone familiar with traffic in the northeast will find I-4 to be anything they haven't seen before. I-4 is nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM

133 posts, read 277,643 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone familiar with traffic in the northeast will find I-4 to be anything they haven't seen before. I-4 is nothing out of the ordinary.
^ this.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 PM

290 posts, read 688,641 times
Quote:
I agree it won't be anything they haven't seen before..but 2-3 people I work with here in NY have family in Orlando, and it's funny because they all tell me they despise driving down there, especially on I-4, and say Orlandoans are the crazy drivers..to which I just smh.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM

52 posts, read 200,555 times
Thorton Park dude. Take my word for it. If I fit your profile, I would want to live there.

The commute wont be great, but you'll make up for it on the weekend

cheers and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando