Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,010 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Orlando from Washington, DC in the next few months.

I have 15 years of experience in Information Technology (Web Design, Software Development) and I'm wondering about the technology job market in Orlando. Is it good, bad?

Also, is it hard to get a tech job there when you're from out of state?

I would like to move there with a job offer, but right now, I've been applying and I haven't gotten a bite in weeks.

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Why not San Francisco? You will go the furthest in your field there.

Anyways, I don't know how the job market is for experienced people in your field in Orlando. However, one of my buddies who will be graduating from UCF with a bachelor's degree in May was just hired for a tech position with a starting salary of $50k. He really didn't think he would get it because he is still in school. They had him redesign the company's homepage using various tools, followed by an interview with some more knowledge based tests and he got the job, so I can't imagine it's very competitive. The lack of quality jobs in that field would be the bigger concern.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,010 times
I've already worked in Silicon Valley and it was too expensive, which is why I moved to DC.

I still want the nice weather, but not the expense. I do realize I will be taking a pay cut moving to Orlando, but I am hoping the tech job salary will still be competitive.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeriAmbitious View Post
I've already worked in Silicon Valley and it was too expensive, which is why I moved to DC.

I still want the nice weather, but not the expense. I do realize I will be taking a pay cut moving to Orlando, but I am hoping the tech job salary will still be competitive.
If you can find anything even close to your salaries in those cities here, I'd take it. Your dollar will go much further

Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeriAmbitious View Post
I'm considering moving to Orlando from Washington, DC in the next few months.

I have 15 years of experience in Information Technology (Web Design, Software Development) and I'm wondering about the technology job market in Orlando. Is it good, bad?

Also, is it hard to get a tech job there when you're from out of state?

I would like to move there with a job offer, but right now, I've been applying and I haven't gotten a bite in weeks.

Any advice is appreciated!
There isn't much of a tech industry here as evidenced by your lack of responses and would say that your experience is probably a bit of a hindrance when companies can willingly hire someone just out of school or with a few year's experience at around 50K. The pool of candidates is just too large in other words. If you're kind of deadset on Florida you might check out the Jacksonville area which has seen a lot of growth in the IT sector over the past 10 years.

The Best Cities For Tech Jobs | Newgeography.com

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,031 times
There are jobs available in the IT as those numbers are growing. I am entering the IT field myself as a small business owner who wants a change of career. I have a few buddies in IT who are employed by the major businesses here such as Disney, Lockheed Martin, Softrock, TravelClick and so on. With the expansion of Creative Village and many hospitals within the area those numbers are poised to grow. Here are some links that discuss what is going on within the Greater Orlando Area:

Ten Emerging Tech Cities

The 7 most popular Orlando technology stories of 2013 - Orlando Business Journal

Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 AM

Forgot to include this awesome trailer for a documentary coming out in February about technology in Orlando.

Orlando Rising

Hope all this helps!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressenterprise View Post
There are jobs available in the IT as those numbers are growing. I am entering the IT field myself as a small business owner who wants a change of career. I have a few buddies in IT who are employed by the major businesses here such as Disney, Lockheed Martin, Softrock, TravelClick and so on. With the expansion of Creative Village and many hospitals within the area those numbers are poised to grow. Here are some links that discuss what is going on within the Greater Orlando Area:

Ten Emerging Tech Cities

The 7 most popular Orlando technology stories of 2013 - Orlando Business Journal
Except there is this from the article you left out...

"The gaming boom in Orlando, and Florida in general, however, may be threatened. Although the State of Florida had been offering generous incentives for gaming companies to relocate or set up offices here, those incentives have recently been cut off. We don’t like to think about how politics can influence popular technology, but the proof may be in the pudding."

In this day and age it's all about economic incentives, and without those the Mickey Ears alone won't be enough.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Except there is this from the article you left out...

"The gaming boom in Orlando, and Florida in general, however, may be threatened. Although the State of Florida had been offering generous incentives for gaming companies to relocate or set up offices here, those incentives have recently been cut off. We don’t like to think about how politics can influence popular technology, but the proof may be in the pudding."

In this day and age it's all about economic incentives, and without those the Mickey Ears alone won't be enough.
Yes, correct the state is cutting back on incentives to lure companies here and I agree with the incentives. There is also a great deal of business "technology" accelerators downtown and around the area focused on helping start up companies. If you take a look at bizjournals for Orlando and floridatechnologyjournal.com you will find many start ups coming along.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There isn't much of a tech industry here as evidenced by your lack of responses and would say that your experience is probably a bit of a hindrance when companies can willingly hire someone just out of school or with a few year's experience at around 50K. The pool of candidates is just too large in other words. If you're kind of deadset on Florida you might check out the Jacksonville area which has seen a lot of growth in the IT sector over the past 10 years.

[URL="http://www.newgeography.com/content/002848-the-best-cities-for-tech-jobs"]The Best Cities For Tech Jobs | Newgeography.com[/URL]

Thanks for the info Buddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando