Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM

49 posts, read 105,331 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into relocation to Florida this year. We were considering the suburbs of Tampa. But have also considered Clermont and the areas that border, Florida to be near adopted family who offered to help us if we do take the leap to relocate to Florida. Though my husband would prefer to be near the water and myself to the beaches, I figure this may be a good option for our first years there, and that we could always drive over and venture out as we feel the place out for the first couple of years in the state. We had considered the suburbs of Tampa, because all throughout this forum I couldn't find too many posts and threads where people had nice things to say about living and raising a family in the Orlando area. I also thought it may not be good to be around the hustle and bustle of all of the tourist hooplah. Some have suggested that the suburbs of Tampa have more of a family appeal and a better feel for what Florida life is about.

What are some areas that border Clermont that are equally as nice? Any multi cultural non denominational churches in the area? We were told that the schools in this area are great. I prefer to be close to shopping but had noticed during our one week stay that Clermont is quite spaced out and somewhat rural. We like to be relatively close to shopping and recreation.

For the Tampa area, we had been considering Wesley Chapel. But haven't visited the area yet. On the other hand, we spent a whole week in Clermont (with our adopted family to visit them and spend time at Disney). Overall we liked the area, but had a few concerns about it being somewhat far away from things. However, as I get deeper into planning, brainstorming, and other things that initial "relocation anxiety" sets in it seems it would be easier to move somewhere closer to people we know and have offered to help with the transition. We would have no other family in the area all of our family is in MD and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,832 times
Clermont is nice, yes it's rural, long way to Tampa. Consider Lakeland, central, good shopping, and it is almost in the center of the state on I-4 so you can go to Tampa or Orlando pretty quick, easy beach access without all the high insurance risk of living on the coast. We live in Polk City and commute to Lakeland to work- we like the country with city access.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM

49 posts, read 105,331 times
I had stumbled across a few Lakeland rentals when looking for rentals on websites run by Tampa area real estate management companies. But I was not sure how the city/ town was situated as far as location, the SFH rentals were nice though.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
ok kids went house looking again today,,, seems all the rentals in Clermont are w a certain 21 group-in their price range,,, and they want arms and legs for deposit -perfect credit /extra paperwork and the rest of your income tax return with promise of your next child -- what is up with that? almost wondering if they are bordering on HUD policies for equal housing... The last rental they went to was a scam 24-7,,, I called the clerk of courts and found out a few more things,,, I know how to spot mess--
seems they only want to rent to certain folks?? hmmm I'm looking into it--

Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
ok kids went house looking again today,,, seems all the rentals in Clermont are w a certain 21 group-in their price range,,, and they want arms and legs for deposit -perfect credit /extra paperwork and the rest of your income tax return with promise of your next child -- what is up with that? almost wondering if they are bordering on HUD policies for equal housing... The last rental they went to was a scam 24-7,,, I called the clerk of courts and found out a few more things,,, I know how to spot mess--
seems they only want to rent to certain folks?? hmmm I'm looking into it--
High demand I can rent a house in a day so I can be very picky on who I rent to.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 PM

picky sure -as long as no law is broken... people know how things work, and with mass media. no secrets any more. I personally do not like Clermont, but kids have great jobs and grands are in honor roll, so they like it. I see the rip- offs and scams, and a lot of room for not so nice things going on. Maybe its my job that makes me see things that way.

Last edited by tinytrump; 01-31-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
picky sure -as long as no law is broken... people know how things work, and with mass media. no secrets any more. I personally do not like Clermont, but kids have great jobs and grands are in honor roll, so they like it. I see the rip- offs and scams, and a lot of room for not so nice things going on. Maybe its my job that makes me see things that way.
Sounds like your trying to find a problem and I would see right through that just by your post that I have read I would find a way not to rent to you.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Actually I have a great rental history- and a very good job, once many years ago-was apt manager,,, my sister is her own real estate broker, owned 4 houses when I was younger- (I no longer want the headache, taxes, HOA's etc etc)- and received every penny of my deposits with great recommendations. So you would miss out. Anyhow I am looking out for my kid -who makes over $80K, just has less experience with this rental thing etc, and people... he thinks all people are good. I do look under the rug to make sure, they are not ripped off with the scams that go on. Making it so hard for normal people to rent, throws them into the arms of the scam artist. You rent to whom you please, my hubby paid that ultmate price for our freedom to do so.. just with in the boundaries. Good luck to you. Just got a call from son - another person who listed a home and nothing of what was listed coencides with what he said. Glad they are there doing the footwork and I check the properties from home to make sure they are legit with no hidden agendas. For the renters, it's renter BEWARE...

Last edited by tinytrump; 02-01-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 04:49 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Real Estate agents essentially have no fines or accountability for things that they list.

Right now in a sellers market rentals can be incredibly picky and many mortgages are ONLY going to those who are in incredible financial shape.

You'll have a bigger divide between renters and owners because of this.
It's not really fair- but it is what it is, until they stop selling.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Yea- just want them to play fair, and I know enough, to know when something is not right. The scamers are what are worrysome but when the realtors do NOT post correctly with transparency to their dealings and changes things as they go along on a property, they are just as bad... Tell it like it is, up front...
they have stooped down like the old shady car salesman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando