Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:36 AM

123 posts, read 134,330 times

Advertisements

Whoa, whoa, whoa. When the light turns green only 3 ppl go b/c they are going so slow? My ass! Only 3 ppl can go b/c ppl are running the light and cant go. There's a 10 second rule in Orlando. When the light turns green, dont go yet! THAT IS WHY PPL DONT GO RIGHT AWAY WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN.

The fine should be 500 dollars, not 183.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That is easy enough solved if the lights were timed where at the end of every green light there was a few seconds where all directions are red. This would allow the intersection to always be clear when the next group of cars enter. It would also allow cars making a left to safely complete their left before being faced with on coming traffic. This is not brain surgery and you could save lives with simple solutions.

Macguy, it wouldnt matter. That's the problem. If people knew that had a few more seconds they'd keep doing it anyway. Besides Miami, Orlando is the most aggressive, rude, and impatient place I think I've seen on the roads.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM

"To me the crime is the $183.50 charge those people will face Why has the outrageous fines imposed been approved by us?"

The disappointing thing is, is that you feel like the crime isnt running the red light, but the fine in which you have to pay by not OBEYING THE LAW. The sad thing is, a lot of fellow "Orlando'ns" might agree with you. And that's the sad part. The mentality of some of the people here in Orlando.

Like I said, God help me if someone blatantly runs a red light and puts my family in danger.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:00 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major League View Post
Macguy, it wouldnt matter. That's the problem. If people knew that had a few more seconds they'd keep doing it anyway. Besides Miami, Orlando is the most aggressive, rude, and impatient place I think I've seen on the roads.
Since running a red light causes one of the greatest impacts and probably accounts for the most moving deaths then just make it the most expensive fine there is. Start it at like $400.00 and see how many people do it. Money talks, you don't see anyone parking in handicapped spots since they went to $250.00 to $500.00 fines. Make driving violations so expensive only an idiot would break the driving laws. Heck, cities will fine you $250.00 a day and slap a lien on your house for violations. Bad drivers kill more people then any terrorists ever will and I have no tolerance for them. Fine the hell out of them.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:14 PM

135 posts, read 711,317 times
Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. When the light turns green only 3 ppl go b/c they are going so slow? My ass! Only 3 ppl can go b/c ppl are running the light and cant go. There's a 10 second rule in Orlando. When the light turns green, dont go yet! THAT IS WHY PPL DONT GO RIGHT AWAY WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN.

Exactly! At major intersections I wait a few seconds when the light turns green to make sure no one comes flying down the road to run the light (I've seen it happen time and time again). I'd rather inconvenience someone who didn't leave the house on time than risk getting injured or killed. I've seen people fly through red lights after it's been red for awhile and the car in the other lane is at a dead stop. I was walking when this happened and had time to get to the median after getting the signal to walk when a car came hauling through. The guy stopped in the second lane was in disbelief. This happened more than once. The worst part was this crosswalk was right in front of an elementary school(Princeton).

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 135,443 times
Quote:
Wow, one cop set up shop and was handing out tickets for red-light runners at one intersection in Orlando today. He got 45 people for running red lights in only 2 1/2 hours. Doesnt this tell us something about how bad it is here? Yikes!

Grinch's red-light detail busts 45 motorists for red-light running -- OrlandoSentinel.com
about freeeeeeekin time.. if and when I get hit by one of these bastards with my kids in the car.. well lets just say, that person will be walking with a limp for the rest of there life...

Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 AM

23 posts, read 135,443 times
Quote:

amen to all that....

Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Quote:

totally agree! I can't get through a green light almost daily because of people blocking the road from running a red light. If you give out a huge fine a few times then maybe people will finally get the point.

Also, these cities need to get their acts together and get these roads fixed so the intersections are not so crowded to begin with!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
oh my goodness! dallas IS very frightening to drive in! we entered onto one freeway (cant remember the number but im sure you know what im talking about) with my husband driving (he is a pro and isnt afraid of ANYTHING!) but he practically ended up in tears because it was soooooo crazy and dangerous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
No kidding! I think there's too many slow drivers here especially on one-lane roads like Boggy Creek. Most people driving here would not last one day in Dallas! If Orlando wants to be a big city than start driving like it! Peace

Old 12-09-2007, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
As I live in California and work in Orlando I am blessed with idiot drivers on both sides of the country. I do know that running a red light in Cali will get you a $381.00 minimum fine. I am now starting to see signs up here about fines. I think $183.00 is not enough of a deterrent to some of these people. When I can sit at a red light and count not 1,2 or sometimes 3 cars attempting to get through the intersection,thats like 3 cars too many. You know what,if they stopped they would be first in line

The other said fact is that in order to try and make the light they really stand on the gas which will make the impending collision that much worse.

I don't know what it is about HWY50,sometimes I can do the speed limit and make all green lights for some distance. Other times,I end up having to stop at every light....puzzling to say the least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando