Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM

554 posts, read 2,494,036 times

Advertisements

I was in Florida for my past Spring break, where my friend's family has a house in Apopka in one of the newer subdivisions. While the subdivision wasn't built out, the homes were very nice. Doing some research, they were also reasonably prices (generally around 250k). The Orlando area, aside from having to drive everywhere, seems like a pretty good area to live in and raise a family; however, as my grandparents are retiring and (HOPEFULLY!) moving away from the arctic tundra of the Midwest, I was thinking about suggesting they move to Florida or somewhere warmer. They really have no idea where they want to move.

I liked Apopka for them because it was close enough without being TOO close. It also had a rural feel to it, and a lot of greenhouses, which my grandparents (moreso my grandmother) would love. Not being familiar with the area, I wanted to get some input from fellow Orlandoans before I have my grandparents looking to move to the wrong area.

Since I'm most familiar with Apopka (which isn't really saying much), I'll start there. Is it a good area? I looked at school ratings, and they seem pretty subpar (5/10, 6/10, etc). That's not really a big deal for my grandparents as they probably won't be having kids anytime soon, but that definitely affects resale value (should that occur). I also noticed that S. Park Ave didn't seem like the greatest area. I'm assuming that's still Apopka. Are there areas in Apopka to avoid? Where my grandparents live now, the whole town is more or less the same; there's really not any areas of town to avoid. I don't know what the case is for Apopka.

Furthermore, is Apopka even the best place to begin looking when suggesting areas in which to live in Orlando? The area I stayed in was pretty nice, so I may be biased. There may even be better options at a lower cost, right? What towns or areas would you suggest for living in the Orlando area? My grandmother LOVES planting/growing/nature, so the climate is ideal. She also loves shopping, and Orlando has some pretty nice malls! When I saw all the greenhouses nearby, I was pretty much sold on telling them about Apopka. They're peaceful and friendly; I don't want them stuck in a neighborhood or town that is projected to change for the worse. Any help is greatly appreciated, as my grandfather will be retiring soon and they'll likely be looking to move within the year. I want to help them out as much as I can.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,347,886 times
That area along South Park Avenue and south of Main Street is considered South Apopka and it should definitely be avoided. Also, it really isn't part of the City of Apopka, but just some unincorporated area of Orange County. Therefore, that area won't have much of an impact on city resources. But it's possible that there can be spill off crime and that some of the schools might pull students from there, hence the lower school ratings.

With that being said, Apopka also has some good areas. There are some newer good communities around North Apopka. You also have some nice areas by West Apopka (I think they have a retirement community by Zellwood). But if I were you, I would consider nearby Wekiva Springs, which I think is much better than Apopka imo.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,290,539 times
If you like what you see now in Apopka, I suggest you look further out towards Lake County because a few years from now Apopka will be a fully developed suburb. My family has lived in Apopka now for almost a decade, when they first moved out there, they were just about the outskirts of development. Today they are more near the middle. For better or worse shopping plazas, other subdivisions and traffic is grown tremendously around them. With the completion of the Wekiva Parkway I only see it getting worse. I would say look further out west than Plymouth Sorrento road for good retirement areas. I think those areas are also zoned for much less dense development so they will retain their country charm. I would also look at places like Mt. Dora, Eustis, Umatilla, Tavares, even Leesburg. More laid back, more retirees, more old Florida.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM

388 posts, read 787,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
If you like what you see now in Apopka, I suggest you look further out towards Lake County because a few years from now Apopka will be a fully developed suburb. My family has lived in Apopka now for almost a decade, when they first moved out there, they were just about the outskirts of development. Today they are more near the middle. For better or worse shopping plazas, other subdivisions and traffic is grown tremendously around them. With the completion of the Wekiva Parkway I only see it getting worse. I would say look further out west than Plymouth Sorrento road for good retirement areas. I think those areas are also zoned for much less dense development so they will retain their country charm. I would also look at places like Mt. Dora, Eustis, Umatilla, Tavares, even Leesburg. More laid back, more retirees, more old Florida.
Agree 100%, especially with the recs in Lake County like Mt Dora and Eustis.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 AM

26,836 posts, read 43,315,276 times
I agree regarding the choices further out in Lake County....especially the Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora triangle. It's past the growth crawl of Orlando and unlike Leesburg the growth/expansion happening in and around The Villages. If those areas are too remote for shopping and day-to-day activity I would recommend switching up the focus area to places like Viera, West Melbourne or Suntree/North Melbourne in Brevard County (east of Orlando on the coast), which are very nice areas without the congestion plus offer plenty to do in terms of shopping and other activities.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
My husband and I purchased a home in Clermont about 5 years ago, (come down every other month not sure what we are called) until we move permanently mid May. Lovely area but it is becoming a bit crowded. However there are so many things to consider before buying a home in FL that no one tells you about. We also own a home there but it is far different in FL. I had no idea of the amount of upkeep it requires. There are certain types of grass required by HOA on front lawns that must be continuously and properly maintained. If not, it is subjected to bug infestation. If you are anal like I am, the grass in the back (Bahia) must also be hand weeded if not, it is festered with weeds some I never knew existed. Must have termite coverage. Homes are not built with gutters; so those must be installed. It is so difficult to find a good reliable maintenance contractor and if you do, they are overpriced. Need to find someone to trim the bushes, but don't hold your breath because they may not show up; There are no buses to rely on so one must be able to drive. I can go on and on... Had I known all of the above I would have reconsider and own a condo or an over 55. But if you can surpass all those hindrances then you would appreciate an hour to the beach from here - It is wonderful. And oh - how lovely it is on a sunny day!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 PM

554 posts, read 2,494,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
That area along South Park Avenue and south of Main Street is considered South Apopka and it should definitely be avoided. Also, it really isn't part of the City of Apopka, but just some unincorporated area of Orange County. Therefore, that area won't have much of an impact on city resources. But it's possible that there can be spill off crime and that some of the schools might pull students from there, hence the lower school ratings.

With that being said, Apopka also has some good areas. There are some newer good communities around North Apopka. You also have some nice areas by West Apopka (I think they have a retirement community by Zellwood). But if I were you, I would consider nearby Wekiva Springs, which I think is much better than Apopka imo.
Yes, I noted S. Park Avenue wasn't the greatest area. We took that road to avoid toll roads while in town, and it was such a stark contrast to the subdivision we were staying in (Off of Plymouth-Sorrento road). I will definitely look into Wekiva Springs as well. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! My grandma is a bit tricky. She's definitely a country gal, but she also enjoys the shopping and city/suburban amentities (my grandfather is a city boy, but he's pretty much a typical suburbanite now). Where they live now in Northwest Indiana, they're basically at the center of everything - a very large and busy shopping center literally 2 minutes away, restaurants, etc., but their neighborhood is very quiet and very little traffic. Almost like the best of both worlds. Only downside is they're currently living in a condo, so she only has a few plants. I can tell she wants a yard though, because she always plants some plants in front of our building every spring. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding the choices further out in Lake County....especially the Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora triangle. It's past the growth crawl of Orlando and unlike Leesburg the growth/expansion happening in and around The Villages. If those areas are too remote for shopping and day-to-day activity I would recommend switching up the focus area to places like Viera, West Melbourne or Suntree/North Melbourne in Brevard County (east of Orlando on the coast), which are very nice areas without the congestion plus offer plenty to do in terms of shopping and other activities.
I will definitely look into those areas. I've been reading the Orlando forum occasionally since posting and I've seen a lot about "The Villages." What exactly are they? They sound similar to the tri-city area in Chicagoland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmf View Post
My husband and I purchased a home in Clermont about 5 years ago, (come down every other month not sure what we are called) until we move permanently mid May. Lovely area but it is becoming a bit crowded. However there are so many things to consider before buying a home in FL that no one tells you about. We also own a home there but it is far different in FL. I had no idea of the amount of upkeep it requires. There are certain types of grass required by HOA on front lawns that must be continuously and properly maintained. If not, it is subjected to bug infestation. If you are anal like I am, the grass in the back (Bahia) must also be hand weeded if not, it is festered with weeds some I never knew existed. Must have termite coverage. Homes are not built with gutters; so those must be installed. It is so difficult to find a good reliable maintenance contractor and if you do, they are overpriced. Need to find someone to trim the bushes, but don't hold your breath because they may not show up; There are no buses to rely on so one must be able to drive. I can go on and on... Had I known all of the above I would have reconsider and own a condo or an over 55. But if you can surpass all those hindrances then you would appreciate an hour to the beach from here - It is wonderful. And oh - how lovely it is on a sunny day!
That's a lot to consider! I checked out Clermont, and it looks very suburban. I found a pretty nice house in one of the gated communities (Legends, I believe) and my grandmother loves it. It has a large enough yard for her to plant flowers. I believe my grandma would actually like doing that stuff (provided it's not too hot outside.. she really does have a green thumb!) And my grandparents definitely aren't bus people, but it's always good to have the option. When I was in the Orlando area I noticed the lack of public transportation. But it is more of a car-centric city.
What exactly does an over 55 community entail? Obviously you're over 55, but how is it any different from an "any age" subdivision or neighborhood? What is the benefit? Lower housing costs I'm assuming?
Thank you so much for your response!

Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,512,104 times
Also consider that spring in Florida is quite different than summer. And by summer I mean May through September or October. It is blast-furnace hot in Florida. Oppressive, life-sucking heat and humidity.
If you are a person who stays inside in the air conditioning or just goes from house to car to restaurant to mall then you might like it. But if you like outdoor activities in the summer then you might want to look some place else.
Sure Florida is nice from January though March but my issue with Florida is that when the days are long when most people want to be outside it is really to oppressive and scorching.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,234 times
In a 55 + community at least one person must be that age....there is usually a pool, clubhouse, activities and instant friends....I will be moving alone so will definitely be looking for that type or possible a condo, however they seem to be very expensive.

lots of research is important and finding a realtor that will stick with you as you do it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,156,855 times
It's kind of boring. If they do the snow bird thing for a few years that might be a better idea. One problem about retired people in Florida is their relatives are all up North so when they get older and need help there is little if anyone to help them. It's warming down here and that's a nice feature but will they run out of things to do? Or perhaps, they don't care about that and just want to enjoy warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando