Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,832,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I said it in my post... "country"

Compared to most desirable areas in the country, Orlando is one of the most affordable.
it's more expensive than charlotte, winston-salem, greenville sc, atlanta, raleigh... that shouldnt be...

so i agree a little... cheaper than nyc or chicago... i dont consider those desirable tho. so i guess it just depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 PM

oviedo is great but what ppl charge is a little nuts. more expensive for half the house i had in asheville. pft, thats a joke. doesnt make sense.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 AM

26,867 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
However most other cities weren't already behind the eight ball with economies reliant on Tourism and the Service Industry. It's about the proportions and Orlando clearly is lacking there.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
it's more expensive than charlotte, winston-salem, greenville sc, atlanta, raleigh... that shouldnt be...

so i agree a little... cheaper than nyc or chicago... i dont consider those desirable tho. so i guess it just depends.
Exactly. It shouldn't be more expensive than similar sized cities with more diverse economies or similarly paying jobs (or better), plus to compare Orlando to actual "large" cities is ludicrous.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly. It shouldn't be more expensive than similar sized cities with more diverse economies or similarly paying jobs (or better), plus to compare Orlando to actual "large" cities is ludicrous.

Agreed, I dont understand why rent in Orlando is higher than Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, Winston-Salem, etc... other medium to large cities throughout the Southeast that have better economy and more diverse jobs, with an overall (in some cases) better quality of life.

If someone moved to Orl from Chicago or LA, I'd say, yeah, much more affordable here. But the Southeast is far more desirable than the Northeast - people dont move from NC to NJ - lets get real.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:16 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando has a lot more of an international presence than those others, perhaps outside of Atlanta. It's the most visited city in the country and has been a place for central and south Americans to buy up real estate. That probably pushes up housing prices more than they otherwise would be

Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Housing costs are a matter of supply and demand, and not related to payscales in the community.

Frankly housing costs are still very affordable here. Try living in places like NYC and San Francisco. I hear a lot of whining, but it seems that those who whine the loudest haven't done anything in particular to better their situation in terms of education or training or finding a better opportunity because they "like" their current job.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Housing costs are a matter of supply and demand, and not related to payscales in the community.

Frankly housing costs are still very affordable here. Try living in places like NYC and San Francisco. I hear a lot of whining, but it seems that those who whine the loudest haven't done anything in particular to better their situation in terms of education or training or finding a better opportunity because they "like" their current job.
It is a matter of "supply and demand" but that's not always a positive sign as the demand in Central Florida rentals is tied to a high number of individuals who have been displaced from their homes through foreclosures as well as others who cannot afford the cost of homeownership since nearly 40% of the population makes less than 25K per year. Those people could possibly go out and get some kind of new/advanced skills but given the lack of diversity in the job market where exactly would you propose they find the work locally??? Lastly, a nice majority of people live quite well in NYC and San Francisco due to much higher salaries and diverse economies where a majority of jobs don't require polyester uniforms as they do here.

Orlando foreclosure rates rise - Orlando Sentinel

Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
I have never had a problem finding a job, even in the worst of the economy. Sometimes people need to be more flexible or spend the time to get better skills. Many local employers offer a range of online classes that employees can take to better their skills and increase opprtunity with that or other employers. Unfortunately, most employees don't availa themselves of teh opportunities for whatever reason.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

my job in SanFran or NYC would probably pay me a bit more, but i would never leave the southeast.

i went to college for 6 yrs. dont need any more anytime soon. lol. but if you want to live in oviedo, which to me is the most desirable, and desirable around orlando metro is becoming fewer and fewer, we pay the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando