Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:20 AM

251 posts, read 637,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtownMotown View Post
The Trayvon Martin case does not illustrate this point. Stand your ground was not used in this case. The outcome of the trial had nothing to do with stand your ground or anything specific to Florida gun laws.
The had everything to with florida backward rednecky vibe...

Not to mention it's satanic history of the lynching and Black men and feeding Black children to Alligators.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
I'm sure there is no racism in Atlanta's history.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM

251 posts, read 637,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I'm sure there is no racism in Atlanta's history.
Tell how Orlando is better for a BLACK AMERICAN family than Atlanta a city with over 1 million Black people in general area several of the best HBCU and thriving numerous thriving Black businesses? I'm listening.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
The had everything to with florida backward rednecky vibe...

Not to mention it's satanic history of the lynching and Black men and feeding Black children to Alligators.

You need help.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 32,228 times
Ok all these messages I just an up front answer I'm planning moving here myself im African American woman will be ok cause crime racism and etc will happen

Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Terrible decision. Your moving from one of the few centers of Black American culture in this country to Disney world and friends inc. Be prepared to suffer a series of serious setbacks as well as an wanted culture shock. The "Tragic Kingdom" is NOT good place for Black Americans. By the way, your moving just one town away from the where Travyon Martin tragedy took place. An a few minutes where his killer lives and parades around like some kind of perverted version of a hero. My advice to is to NOT move here!
Orlando is not a good place for Black People?? Thats an interesting statement.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 PM

118 posts, read 199,150 times
OP - My wife and I are black and we just made the same move. Lived in Cumming, GA and worked at Georgia Institute of Technology..... I LOVED Atlanta, but hated the weather (we hate cold).

We came down, bought a better house, make more money than I did in Atlanta, and love the weather by a long shot. ATL and ORL demographics seem pretty similar to me, I don't think you'd skip a beat. I will say there will probably be some features of ATL that you might miss (for instance, Buckhead, Parks, Lucrative Downtown), but the tropical feel of FL I think proves to be a viable alternative. Altamonte Springs is a nice area.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Safe, safe, safe.... With all the nonsense going here please don't mention Florida and a safe in same sentence let alone the same thread. ATL is at least 10x better than Orlando in every way.
Atlanta is not better than Orlando. I see your point about nonsense in Orlando though. Orlando doesnt have the Aids HIV problems that Atlanta has. The Aids situation in Atlanta is bad like a 3rd world country in Africa.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:49 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Atlanta is not better than Orlando. I see your point about nonsense in Orlando though. Orlando doesnt have the Aids HIV problems that Atlanta has. The Aids situation in Atlanta is bad like a 3rd world country in Africa.
You realize dade broward and Pbc are the three worst for AIDS and hiv in the nation correct? The three worst in the nation, all south fla counties. You think it's far fetched to think orange co fla probably is very high too?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,131 times
I cant believe phillystress is still in orlando. I've lived in philly and tons of people in philadelphia would love to live in orlando. So much so that they bought wawa to orlando to satisfy all the transplant philly people in orlando. LOL i kid.

Philly stress if orlando doesnt work for you MOVE. NO excuses just MOVE. Orlando does work for some black people and they like it. Different strokes for different folks. Dude you make yourself look bad.
Move on please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Phillystress-

I'm one of those crazy people who loves the heat and humidity. Florida is one of the few places where I never have to use lotion to combat dry skin! I am a freelance writer and novelist, so I'm not dependent upon the local job market. We also have rental units in NY to fund our lifestyle. Since we won't be working for someone else, we should have all of the time in the world to seek out culture in other places. While we are always willing to mix with others, we mostly like to explore places on our own. We both would likely take a class or two and spend the majority of our time together hiking, biking and doing other activities. You can find dense, superficial and phony people anywhere, but it is easy to remove them from your life when you aren't beholden to them in any way.

My family is Bahamian. My grandparents came over in the 1920's, so I've got that culture locked down. I've always been able to fit in with different groups of people and if I can't do that in Florida- Well, I doubt that it would kill me. I do have a few friends and former co-workers who have moved to Florida over the years and I suppose that we'd probably get together from time to time. I have always been involved in the philanthropic world and would probably get involved in some sort of cause or nonprofit. Someone who can write grants is always in demand!

Florida isn't perfect... Neither is NY, Atlanta or Philadelphia. I'd like to think that a positive attitude can allow people to find the good in any locale. I've had negative experiences in all of the places that I've just mentioned, but the good tends to outweigh the bad. To a person like me, the glass is half-full. To others, the glass is half-empty and it's probably dirty, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucas001 View Post
OP - My wife and I are black and we just made the same move. Lived in Cumming, GA and worked at Georgia Institute of Technology..... I LOVED Atlanta, but hated the weather (we hate cold).

We came down, bought a better house, make more money than I did in Atlanta, and love the weather by a long shot. ATL and ORL demographics seem pretty similar to me, I don't think you'd skip a beat. I will say there will probably be some features of ATL that you might miss (for instance, Buckhead, Parks, Lucrative Downtown), but the tropical feel of FL I think proves to be a viable alternative. Altamonte Springs is a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando