Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:35 PM

35,344 posts, read 20,707,005 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need some churches or something near here for some of you to attend and repent of some of those attitudes, people are not perfect and most have ambitions and in OUR real world they been hit hard by the economy. In the "house" some politician was explaining that over 600 economist have agreed that the min. wage should go to $10.00 and hr. (experts) Many were used to 40 hr a week,,, that is unheard of anymore. You can't all to just turn around get a college degree in 3 yrs and wala no more homelessness. Wake up already! this is the new AMERICA- it will get back but it will take time. Remember some of you ragging on some of these -who are our VETERANS. FACT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 AM

24 posts, read 43,901 times
People jumping on this board and judging, I've seen people making money all of a sudden fear going homeless. I once had a decent job at a retail giant-moved up in the company. I worked there years and saw myself there for life (no joke) but what we "see" for ourselves isn't what always happens. This amazing company shut its doors. I was left stunned and not ready for any sort of career change. The only job I could find was with our competitor for a measly 7.75 an hour/12 hours a week. I hardly have family so if it wasn't for a relative I would be living out of my car for that kind of money. I took lowly office jobs and now have a fairly decent job but job stability is awful here..so who knows my future. I don't have kids, I am lucky as I only worry about myself. Just be wise and humble in life, you NEVER know where your path might lead you. This economy is about cutting cost and if you make decent money-I guarantee your bosses are wondering if a "newbie" can do your job for an hourly wage.
Kindness, compassion and understanding is what we all should strive for in live.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM

I part timed with a big home improvement store,,, because of politics they cut their hours with out notice. They so afraid that you may go over the 29 hrs they give you only 20,, I sadly saw 3 employees got to jail from stealing cash, one was a mom with 4 kids and a hubby w heart problems . Not justifying her wrong at all- but then the fat.. CEO gets on TV and said he is against the living wage and proud to be the 1%. I worked for this co over the yrs. especially with the lay offs etc and always made it,,,now can't count on that EVER. Thank God I have a solid job now. Co's NOT to be trusted specially in FL. Homelessness is shameful to all. Now we are collecting goods for the homeless teens who graduate in the area. They go to school and live in cars woods etc. IT is no JOKE! be surprised what goes on down the road of your little white picked fences. Point the finger at them, you don't really care. I hope these new jobs in Orl, help someone. The only problem is they keep coming from the north and west.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM

116 posts, read 261,084 times
Homelessness can happen to anyone but many find themselves in that boat due to poor planning. Up and moving to another state with no jobs, no housing with just the shirt on your back because you like the weather or want to live near the beach is insane. Hawaii is much like Florida in the number of homeless because people just decide it would be a great place to live. They plan very little beyond that point. There's a another post from a kid on here that has no job, no skills but he doesn't like it at home and wants to move to Fl. and doesn't mind living in a drug neighborhood because it would " give him something to do". I agree however that with today's economy and the downsizing of the work force to part time status is only going to add to the problem. The push for an increase in minimum wage is only going to push many businesses into further cuts or moving their companies abroad.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 PM

The economist say no- he folks who paid for services etc will pay- and if more can afford it more will buy... Realistically our salaries are in the DARK ages. food going up rent going up what do you propose people do CouchTater? and I do agree some folks just simple thinkers and come with out plans, no more than those building the pipelines living in Walmart parking lots in RVs because there is no housing. PEOPLE do what they can... when their babies need to eat! thank GOD if you never had to worry.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,225,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The economist say no- he folks who paid for services etc will pay- and if more can afford it more will buy... Realistically our salaries are in the DARK ages. food going up rent going up what do you propose people do CouchTater? and I do agree some folks just simple thinkers and come with out plans, no more than those building the pipelines living in Walmart parking lots in RVs because there is no housing. PEOPLE do what they can... when their babies need to eat! thank GOD if you never had to worry.
Go to where the jobs are. If you are lucky enough to have skills that will work in any state, good for you.

If not, go where you will get a job. ND and TX are where it is at these days

Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM

We just offered 400 jobs at some park in ORL - prob it is min wage and prob not 40 hrs,,, some states have NO jobs to offer, I can say I have worked 2 jobs at least 10 yrs of my work life to make it work- and not once was it my fault, some downsizing, some greedy idiot did price rigging and they lay off 5K people in one week... no it is not always just so simple. Specially if you have kids. The answer is not always a 2 line resolution.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,037,184 times
Joblessness is a nationwide issue. TX and ND may have -some- jobs but they'd be quickly filled if we sent EVERYONE to them.

There are def. jobs in Engineering, but if we put a whole generation of students through Engineering school we'll have a surplus in the tens of thousands and graduates offered rock bottom wages because of it.

If there's a lesser need for work these days, we need to as a nation find a cultural norm that 40 hour work weeks are excessive and cut back so everyone can contribute, and everyone can earn.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM

If we got politics out of our money and money out of our politics, we do much better.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,892,534 times
I am sympathetic to the truly poor, but the person is in this position largely due to a series of poor decisions.

Why would you have a bunch of kids by 24 with no means to support them? Family planning supplies are often cheap or available from the health department. They could have also simply been abstinent for a 100% chance of not having kids.

These people don't look like the "planning type," and I bet they were doing poorly in GA, and thought moving to FL would solve their problems. They probably moved on the spur of the moment without nary a thought as to how it's going to turn out.

I highly doubt they are educated or bring any skills to an employer. My bet is they dropped out of high school or have only a GED.

They obviously don't care about their appearance and probably not much about their health, either. If I knew someone was going to take pictures of my living space for a news article, I'd at least tidy it up. The place is hoarded.

You can be poor and still carry yourself well and have some semblance of class. These people have neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando