Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Black people are not welcomed? I hope it's not like that. I'm driving to Orlando tomorrow morning to look at some places. I'm Hispanic, but I can see how some people may take me as a black person..light skin black person. I have a lot of mixture. People are always trying to guess what I'm which is silly.
Winter Park actually has a small Black neighborhood within its city-limits. Also, one of America's first Black towns, Eatonville, is right around the corner. Matter of fact, Eatonville's city-limits touch Winter Park's city-limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM

148 posts, read 339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Winter Park actually has a small Black neighborhood within its city-limits. Also, one of America's first Black towns, Eatonville, is right around the corner. Matter of fact, Eatonville's city-limits touch Winter Park's city-limits.

Even closer and adjacent to old Winter Park is Hannibal Square. It is actually in the 32789 zip code. Last time I was there, old homes were being demolished and custom homes were being built.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 AM

399 posts, read 719,371 times
I drove to Orlando. For me it felt like a sleepy town more than a Metropolis. Everything seemed spread apart and doesn't seem to be crowded for a city. It had a country like feel to it. Very different from what I'm accustomed to. But it's fine, I'm not a nightlife party type person. The slower pace should be better for a family. I found a place that was simple and I liked it in the Winter Park/Seminole County area. Maybe I'll end up there.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
It's very segregated from the White areas and one almost never sees any Blacks in the main commercial areas of Winter Park. It's not a Winter Park phenomenon though since it's the case in most of Central Florida.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM

251 posts, read 637,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's very segregated from the White areas and one almost never sees any Blacks in the main commercial areas of Winter Park. It's not a Winter Park phenomenon though since it's the case in most of Central Florida.
Smh...

Old 05-25-2014, 05:19 PM

I'm wondering does anyone know of any parks, rec centers or any of the like that I can play basketball, jog, walk, or just take my wife and kids to have fun out doors for free in the 32792 zip? When I looked at places last week everything felt so spread out. I didn't see any parks or much of anything in the area.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Blue Jacket Park in Baldwin Park, MLK Park in Winter Park, and Jay Blanchard Park off dean road are all nearby.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM

66 posts, read 114,317 times
Winter Park has two sections:
  • City of Winter Park... Zip Code 32789... which is in Orange County
  • Unincorporated Winter Park... Zip Code 32792... which is in Seminole County
I'll be honest without intention to offend anybody here. According to my experience, I suggest you to avoid any area where whites are majority. Why? Because these are usually very wealthy areas, rent will be higher and you won't be as welcome as in other communities of Winter Park.

For example, avoid the area near Rollins College (a wealthy mostly white college) or Downtown Winter Park, unless you can afford living there. Downtown Winter Park is beautiful, but you'll find a contrast of some pockets of very poor residents surrounded by a majority of wealthy residents (mostly whites). The area near the City of Maitland borderline is wealthy too.

You'll be fine in the area near Semoran Blvd or near Aloma Ave. The unincorporated section in Seminole County is fine too.

Believe it or not, the Orlando Metro Area is very segregated economically and racially. Just drive by Colonial Drive @ I-4 and you'll notice the change immediately. This is the way in which Orlando was planned. The poor with the poor and the wealthy with the wealthy... whites among whites, latinos among latinos and blacks among blacks. Some spots are integrated, but this isn't the norm.

I wish you the best.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 AM

I'm near Semoran Blvd. The rent is not high. When I visited certain places during my search I got that vibe that I was not totally welcomed. I hate that feeling. I didn't grow up in a racist household and grew up around all kinds of people. So when I encounter these things it just feels odd.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 PM

18 posts, read 21,576 times
I'm from Winter Park - what Crane's Rooster said is correct. Ignore the black comment - you will be fine. There are racists in all cities, but Orlando and Winter Park are pretty good places to be for diversity. The core of Winter Park is definitely populated heavily by an older, upper-class white crowd the closer you get to Park Ave and the million dollar homes, but the typical homes and neighborhoods are very diverse and accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando