Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Tiny once you make the move I would look in the same areas we suggested for the OP. Stay away from cookie cutter subdivisions, those neighborhoods tend to be people who live within the confines of their 4 walls. The older more established neighborhoods are generally more neighborly.
I disagree. My neighborhood is a new neighborhood and is very, very friendly. We smile and wave, but also socialize with dinner, drinks, card games, sports, etc. Some neighbors even travel together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. My neighborhood is a new neighborhood and is very, very friendly. We smile and wave, but also socialize with dinner, drinks, card games, sports, etc. Some neighbors even travel together.
Would you say your neighborhood is the exception or the norm? Again I was just saying generally speaking the older more established neighborhoods tend to have a community sense more so than the cookie cutter subdivisions. My family also lives in a newer neighborhood in Apopka which is very friendly but I don't feel that's the norm.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Would you say your neighborhood is the exception or the norm? Again I was just saying generally speaking the older more established neighborhoods tend to have a community sense more so than the cookie cutter subdivisions. My family also lives in a newer neighborhood in Apopka which is very friendly but I don't feel that's the norm.
As long as it's mostly owner occupied, I think it's the norm. When you are talking about neighborhoods in areas with a lot of rentals (short or long term) it's more the exception--that's the case with older neighborhoods and newer ones. I think people who live in SFH's tend to be more social with neighbors than those in condos--not sure why, but maybe because many condo owners think of them as a stop gap on the way to SFH ownership. (I'm not knocking condos, I have owned one in the past and might buy one in the future if the house becomes too much to manage.)

Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As long as it's mostly owner occupied, I think it's the norm. When you are talking about neighborhoods in areas with a lot of rentals (short or long term) it's more the exception--that's the case with older neighborhoods and newer ones. I think people who live in SFH's tend to be more social with neighbors than those in condos--not sure why, but maybe because many condo owners think of them as a stop gap on the way to SFH ownership. (I'm not knocking condos, I have owned one in the past and might buy one in the future if the house becomes too much to manage.)
I agree you make a very good point Annerk, as always. Many of the closed door neighborhoods tend to have a higher rate of rentals and investors. Once you buy a house, you're in it for the long haul. Might as well get to know the neighbors since you're all in it together. I have lived downtown for some time and have usually had good relationships with neighbors even as a renter. When I lived in a SFH we were one of the few rentals on the block and the longtime residents were very welcoming. When I moved to an apartment I still knew most of my neighbors as most of us were longtime residents. But recently when I moved out to Conway area I live in a community with alot of income and investment properties. Turnover is high and although I know my immediate neighbors this is the first time in a while I lived somewhere that lacked a sense of community. I'll be looking to move back downtown again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando