Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Omg lol, there are examples of random animal attacks, car accidents, hit and runs, violent crime in every city in every country virtually. Not going to wekiva because of bear attacks?!
Lol. Bears... bears in Florida are actually generally docile. Yes, there is the odd story of an angry one attacking someone, but, they don’t eat people, and have little to no reason to fight a human, barring protecting a cub. I’ve had them in my backyard before. Heard my dog going crazy. I looked out, and there was my dog, just running around with the cubs while mama bear kept a close eye. One the mom saw me, she and her cubs slowly walked away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 AM

113 posts, read 182,213 times
Default Correct.... Alligators are not afraid of humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
My grandparents live on the highly populated Chain of Lakes in Winter Haven. The "alligators are afraid of populated areas, noise, etc" is not the reality. Their neighbors across the lake lost their 2 year old to a gater. Like another poster said, if you have something larger than a puddle, they are attracted to it, and likely in it.
>>This<<

Alligators have no fear of humans. Yes they normally don't attack adults because it is too much trouble (not because they are scared though). However, they would certainly attack a small child near the water or in the water. A small child is prey and they are not safe near water in FL.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaguy12 View Post
Okay, here's probably a stupid one for you locals. We are looking in Windermere, Butler Chain of Lakes etc....We have small kids and grew up on the Great Lakes, swim without a care....SO my question is, can kids swim in that lake? Wakeboard sure, but can they swim for shore? Jump off the dock? Im guessing not. Thanks.
Play at your own risk is what I say. I grow up in Florida waters but Alligators & Crocodiles were never an issue. It was always water moccasins we had to look out for. From my experience most snakes will swim away from you, but they can attack if you dont see them and they see you. Its always best to ask the locals or pay attention to water way for some time. If you see others in the water on a regular basis. That is a green light.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:36 PM

147 posts, read 144,987 times
Quote:
Omg lol, there are examples of random animal attacks, car accidents, hit and runs, violent crime in every city in every country virtually. Not going to wekiva because of bear attacks?!
OMG exhibiting sarcasm I'm so sooooo offended. LMAO!!!

Quite frankly I could care less if you were attacked by bears or wild life. But for others who are seeking information on the area who have a family / children, unlike you, may be interested in that information.

But it's interesting you brought up "random violent crime" when you're the first one to refer folk to safe neighborhoods. HAHAHAHA

Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jveltriple7 View Post
OMG exhibiting sarcasm I'm so sooooo offended. LMAO!!!

Quite frankly I could care less if you were attacked by bears or wild life. But for others who are seeking information on the area who have a family / children, unlike you, may be interested in that information.

But it's interesting you brought up "random violent crime" when you're the first one to refer folk to safe neighborhoods. HAHAHAHA
I’d be more than happy to share statistics of being killed by a alligator vs a car accident, etc.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Lol. Bears... bears in Florida are actually generally docile. Yes, there is the odd story of an angry one attacking someone, but, they don’t eat people, and have little to no reason to fight a human, barring protecting a cub. I’ve had them in my backyard before. Heard my dog going crazy. I looked out, and there was my dog, just running around with the cubs while mama bear kept a close eye. One the mom saw me, she and her cubs slowly walked away.
Right. My point is that people often purchase homes in an area they may not know the history of, in this case prevalence of bears due to their natural habitats being imposed on so yes attacks are expected and possibly even increase. Naturally it's not daily but it's also not a farce.

Bears in the Neighborhood - Friends of Wekiva River

Bear kills dog, injures another in Seminole neighborhood: report - Orlando Sentinel

Woman Mauled in Florida Black Bear Attack | Game & Fish

Bear allegedly charges at local woman

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...e-walking-dogs

Woman injured in bear attack - Sun Sentinel

Old 08-06-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I’d be more than happy to share statistics of being killed by a alligator vs a car accident, etc.
1 - I know the statistics

2 - Likelihood of death in vehicle accidents to alligator deaths is clearly a given. I would be willing to bet the number of drivers on the roads to number of people swimming in gator infested waters is exponentially higher so naturally that explains that. It's like comparing the number of people sky diving to drivers on the road. LOL

Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jveltriple7 View Post
1 - I know the statistics

2 - Likelihood of death in vehicle accidents to alligator deaths is clearly a given. I would be willing to bet the number of drivers on the roads to number of people swimming in gator infested waters is exponentially higher so naturally that explains that. It's like comparing the number of people sky diving to drivers on the road. LOL
You obviously don’t

Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
You obviously don’t
You sound angry. LOL... Calm down you're gonna be ok.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando