Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Worst idea ever, but I do agree that this debate should move over there since I'm sure the OP has gathered all they need from our back and forth.
Especially since I'm not in Charlotte. lol

It's fine though...at this stage, any information is good. It's good when people are passionate about where they live. I'm almost certain I'm better suited for NC, but I can be happy almost anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Wonderful NYers? That's a new one.
Yeah, that's probably the first time I've heard "wonderful" and "NYers" in the same sentence. And I grew up in the NYC suburbs.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Especially since I'm not in Charlotte. lol

It's fine though...at this stage, any information is good. It's good when people are passionate about where they live. I'm almost certain I'm better suited for NC, but I can be happy almost anywhere.
Right. I hope you've gained enough knowledge to feel comfortable with you decision. Leaving the Carolinas was the best decision my family ever made, but we so enjoy our trips back to visit the mountains.

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably the first time I've heard "wonderful" and "NYers" in the same sentence. And I grew up in the NYC suburbs.
I'm sorry but the people of NYC are one off it's richest treasures. No offense to southerners, but I'll take the loudmouth NYer who's blatantly honest everytime over the backstabbing, sweet as pie, southern "hospitality."

Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry but the people of NYC are one off it's richest treasures. No offense to southerners, but I'll take the loudmouth NYer who's blatantly honest everytime over the backstabbing, sweet as pie, southern "hospitality."
I know what you mean...we were a bit disappointed when we moved here in 2005. We live in a subdivision filled mostly with people from other states, and neighbors have been friendlier than in our first home, which was in eastern NC, a smaller community, in a subdivision mostly of people from small towns in NC. There are exceptions of course, but I warn people from other areas about moving to smaller southern communities. But it was still the first time I've ever heard NYers referred to as "wonderful".

The NYers here are generally great. My theory is that they can't be as obnoxious as they can get away with in NY. lol

It's kind of funny when people ask my wife if she's from NY/northeast - she gets that quite a bit (she grew up Utah). I grew up in the NYC suburbs and I'm never asked if I'm from there. Of course, growing up we would say they taught us how to speak properly (without the NY accent) in northern Westchester.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM

45 posts, read 78,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Maybe he likes vanilla while you prefer butterscotch.

People really need to be where they are the most happy.
Couldn't possibly be more right.

My entire family lives in Charlotte and I Orlando. I would NEVER consider living there. I think its a massively prettier and absolutely love the natural landscape but little else interests me. I am aware of their stronger corporate culture and to some degree better jobs and the fact this it is always rated as a strong place to grow a "Mary Poppins" type family.

I would choose the attitude, culture, diversity, tempo and location of Orlando over it any day. But thats me. I've had several friends and family members live in Orlando and be disappointed on a daily basis.

Everyone has a place that works. If they are unhappy they should consider another. Life is too short to waste time in a place that doesn't work. For me, Orlando is home.

Best of luck on the move! As long as you keep an open mind and are open to change (I suspect you have already grown accustomed to this), you will be happy here.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Right. I hope you've gained enough knowledge to feel comfortable with you decision. Leaving the Carolinas was the best decision my family ever made, but we so enjoy our trips back to visit the mountains.

Thats sooooooooo overblown.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
No, I believe to be correct. For the most part, Charlotte has better jobs, better payscale, is prettier with a nicer downtown/core, a lower cost of living, the people are definitely friendlier, less transient, more sense of community, has 4 seasons, a better highway system with no tolls... thats just stuff I thought of off the top... oh... Less road rage, less hot, you never feel "lost" in CLT, its prettier and cleaner in my opinion. More educated population...

Did I leave something out? I didn't mention schools or safety b/c those I'm not sure about but I'm sure neither are anything to write home about...

Certain ppl are attracted to certain things are cultures. I just prefer the CLT culture and have more in common with then they typical person moving to ORL, which sux to say b/c I am from FL originally. It's just not what it once was.
How is Charlotte prettier than Orlando?! I just recently got back from there, and i'm just understanding.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
So did I, but we moved when I was 15.

I love NYers when they're in NY. They are actually friendly and quite hilarious.

It's true that they don't beat around the bush. I just get tired of the aggression and the loud-mouthed know-it-all stuff.

Again, I'm speaking to a certain stereotype.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 PM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
Quote:
world class theme parks for free.
Is this Orlando you're talking about?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Is this Orlando you're talking about?
Yes, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando