Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times

Advertisements

I've lived in North Carolina since 2005 (Greenville in eastern NC, then a rural area outside of Raleigh, now in a suburb of Winston-Salem). I've also lived in Oregon (Portland area), Utah (St. George area), Nevada (Mesquite, about 80 miles north of Las Vegas), California (San Diego), and New York state (northern Westchester County, NYC suburbs). It may now be time for another change. Although I do accounting, I have specialized in construction accounting with privately-held, family-run firms, so my choices are somewhat limited in finding a management-level position. Work is slow at my current job in NC, and I've had two phone interviews for a new position just west of Orlando; I fly down tomorrow for my first in-person interview.

It's 3 of us: my wife currently stays at home; we're in our late 40s. Our daughter will be entering 8th grade, so this is far from an ideal time to move. I'm doing some home research. We'll be looking in the upper $200s to lower $300s. A pool is a "must have" for an existing home, but we're considering new construction as well, in which case we'd have to put in a pool later.

I've been focusing on schools in either West Orange or Olympia High School districts. Good idea? I'm working with a Realtor, but would appreciate any thoughts people on here might have. I've resigned myself to small lots (around 1/4 acre), character-less gated subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
I would suggest looking at both the 32819(Dr. Phillips), and 34787(Winter Garden). Both zip codes have excellent schools, and plenty of homes in your price range. 32819 doesn't really have much construction, as it is mostly built out. On the other hand 34787 has tons of new construction ,and in your price range too! These two zip codes are zoned for West Orange, Olympia, and Dr Phillips winch is currently undergoing a 60 million dollar renovation all three schools are great. I would recommend Bridgwater, Sunridge, Gotha, and Southwest Middles for middle school in that order. Also, throw in 34786(Windemere) into the bunch as their are many options in your price range there. I feel lie you will fall in love with the area once you make it down!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Also, I forgot to add that if you end up choosing the West Orange District to be open to possible zone changes. WOHS is experiencing rapid growth with all the new construction in the area by the time your daughter gets there, there will most likely be 4000+ students for a school where the maximum capacity is 4000. There was supposed to be a new school built to relive overcrowding and it was supposed to open for the 2017-2018 school year, but because residents in the area opposed it. The school will be delayed most likely.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Most of the homes I've looked at online are in Ocoee or Winter Garden. Hadn't looked at Dr. Phillips but will check it out - thanks.
Middle school is less of a factor, but the homes I've looked at online have been Bridgewater or Gotha.
If we leave the area, I'll miss the fact that we just passed a referendum to pay for a brand new high school in our district. Daughter is attending a brand new middle school, and the new high school will probably be ready for her sophomore year.

My hesitation about a potential move is mainly the climate. I've gotten used to hot, humid summers here in NC, but the worst couple of months here is probably about what it's like there for several months out of the year. A pool in the backyard will help though. I'll miss the change of seasons - NC has been my favorite climate, except perhaps San Diego. I'll also miss the rolling hills and being close to mountains. It's so much prettier here IMO.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Its not that the district doesn't have funding for the new school, its that there is no convenience location for it! The climate will be very different not as different as you may thin though. It is pretty much hot and humid from May to October. In the summer here though it rains every afternoon, winch typically cools us down for the evening. The winter as i'm sure you've read maybe a million times is pretty mild. Compared to NC the summer weather temps, and humidity are virtually the same, but the winter and fall are majorly different.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Well if you're willing to expand your search out a little more than you can consider areas in Clermont, which is about as close as you can find to NC terrain here. Although probably not as high and steep as the NC hills there are rolling hills in Clermont which give it a character not found in most of FL. Within your price range you should be able to find a nice home with a pool. It's just a little farther west than the area you are looking at now. It would be a fairly easy commute to west Orlando.

Another area to consider is Lake County, specifically the Mt. Dora, Eustis and Tavares areas. It's a much more rural area, rolling hills as well, great fishing/recreation lakes and again you should find something nice in your price range. It's also much less cookie cutter in these areas. Although it seems far away mileage wise, with the completion of the new 429 expressway you can easily get to west Orlando in about 30-40 mins in traffic.

Finally, I would recommend the Wekiva area. Great older community with a much more natural feel. Great family area, great schools in the Lake Brantley HS district. Homes are more 70's - 80's build, larger and most have pools. Its a wooded area so it tends to stay cool. Again, you could use the 429 and some of the backroads to get to west Orlando in a reasonable commute time.

All these areas are what I would consider nice family areas. They all have some hills (by Florida standards) so you won't have just flat country. Because there are mostly oaks those types of trees you will see some changes in season, but not what you'd see in NC of course. And for whatever reason the northwestern side of the metro always tends to be cooler than the rest of the area. It's not unusual for these areas to be 5-10 degrees colder than the city in winter time. Central Florida is hot and oppressive about 4 months a year, the other 7 are actually fairly nice. Winters do get colder than most expect, we do have cold streaks where it gets down into the 30's and 40's. Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 AM

My Realtor suggested Clermont; I do see some homes that look promising in the area. I'd prefer to stay closer to Orlando, primarily to be a bit more centrally located. But I will check out the area. It would be nice to not be a pancake-flat area - that's what it was like in eastern NC. and I didn't care for it.

Wife much prefers newer homes, so I'm focusing on homes built in the past 10 years. If momma ain't happy...
Ideally, we'd find new construction with a pool, but I realize that won't happen. Only place I've ever seen that was in Dallas, TX, where a builder included a pool with each home.

Thanks for the additional comments!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Check out Independence, Stoneybrook West, and other areas around 535 -- Winter Garden-Vineland road area. If you stay on the Winter Garden side of the line rather than Windermere you can save money. People like to tack on a bit because your address is 'Windermere'.

We moved from Wilmington at the beginning of the year and are really enjoying the lifestyle here. There's a lot of lakes around (not that you can swim in them) which make for a pretty landscape. Wonderful bird-life and we've seen the elusive Florida armadillo more than once.

And some builders *do* include pools -- ours did -- but perhaps not at your price range? Sometimes, if things are slow, a builder will offer one as an incentive. However, there's a bit of a boom going on right now so that might not happen. Nevertheless, there are community pools accessible in almost every development.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 AM

Glad to hear someone that has lived in NC likes it there - we run into quite a few people that moved to FL and didn't care for it.

We have a community pool here also, but want one of our own. I loved being able to go out the back door and jump in if even for just a few minutes.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Western NC is more beautiful than Florida, hands down. However the rest of the state is rather unremarkable.

Sure you have more rolling hills but here you'll have a more lush, almost tropical feel that isn't found in the Carolinas.

IMO, NC is a great place to visit. Give me a week in the smokies and I'm a new person. But I just can't live without warm beaches, palm trees, Cuban food, citrus growing in your yard, natural springs to swim in, bigger cities like Miami nearby, year round green, al fresco dining in the winter, no heat bill, daily thunderstorms, world class theme parks for free, pro soccer, short boat trips to the Bahamas and Caribbean, Spanish spoken almost everywhere, and so much more that NC doesn't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando