Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,843,401 times

Advertisements

I am straight (but not narrow) and have a number of friends in the LGBT community, including two married lesbian couples. There will always be haters regardless of where you go, but overall this entire area is very welcoming to LGBT's. There is a super active LGBT social scene here, loads and loads of fun!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 57,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am straight (but not narrow) and have a number of friends in the LGBT community, including two married lesbian couples. There will always be haters regardless of where you go, but overall this entire area is very welcoming to LGBT's. There is a super active LGBT social scene here, loads and loads of fun!!
Awe thank you annerk, I read all of your forums and posts and your kind words means alot to me. I am more than 100% sure now my wife and I will be comfortable in Orlando. We have plenty of haters right here in NYC so I know exactly what you are saying. Cant wait to come down next week and look at places and now Winter Park is a possibility providing I can stand the commute to work.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
Winter Park would be my choice! Great shopping, restaurants, trendy bars and coffee shops, parks. I think you will find Central Florida as a whole to be very welcoming to the gay community. Your move will be fine, wherever you land in the Orlando area. Good luck!
Thank you Beachgoer44, we are looking forward to it.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,843,401 times
FYI--Several of my gay (male) friends are in the Windermere area and love it there. Two are fully out and neither have ever had any type of problem in that area. One is closer to Dr. Philips and hasn't had any problem there, either. MIght be two other areas to consider.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,421,015 times
Have you considered looking into Downtown Orlando/Thornton Park area? Downtown is a very gay-friendly area with lots of young adults and a vibrant urban atmosphere, In your situation I think you would really enjoy that area, it is also a reasonable commute from Dr. Phillips (Thats where your job is right?), it would be a straight shot on I-4.

Either way, I think you will enjoy Orlando. Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Have you considered looking into Downtown Orlando/Thornton Park area? Downtown is a very gay-friendly area with lots of young adults and a vibrant urban atmosphere, In your situation I think you would really enjoy that area, it is also a reasonable commute from Dr. Phillips (Thats where your job is right?), it would be a straight shot on I-4.

Either way, I think you will enjoy Orlando. Best of luck!
I have looked into that area but we want something a littlw more laid back. That's why I was interested in Lake Nona and now will look into Winter Park and some other areas. Thank you for your suggestions and time! I feel the love already.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,032,219 times
Wondering why we dont see posts entitled "Hetrosexual Couple Moving to Orlando"?

What does sexual orientation have to do with a relocation?

The days of burning people at the stake because of their views or lifestyle are over.

Just be human, stop labeling yourselves.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 PM

219 posts, read 374,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Wondering why we dont see posts entitled "Hetrosexual Couple Moving to Orlando"?

What does sexual orientation have to do with a relocation?

The days of burning people at the stake because of their views or lifestyle are over.

Just be human, stop labeling yourselves.
I am also straight but not "narrow" and the question posed in not unrealistic. Had the OP posted this on a different city forum in Florida, there would have been responses that told her as a gay couple it is hard to integrate into other communities within the state. Better to be safe than sorry. Who wants to live somewhere that the neighbors are unfriendly, etc.?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
I am also straight but not "narrow" and the question posed in not unrealistic. Had the OP posted this on a different city forum in Florida, there would have been responses that told her as a gay couple it is hard to integrate into other communities within the state. Better to be safe than sorry. Who wants to live somewhere that the neighbors are unfriendly, etc.?
Exactly! Enough said! Thank you Beachgoer44!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,372,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
Thank you kyle19215, I understand what you are saying however we dont mind driving to restaurants. Lake Nona has 2 very good wine bars that I have visited already since I was down there for work a couple of months ago. However I told my wife what you said and now she wants to look in Winter Park LOL Can you give me some zip codes I can look into? We will test out commute to my job etc when we go down next week. WOW I feel completely comfortable going down there. Never knew my biggest challenge would be where to living e LOL
Happy to hear you're possibly reconsidering. : ) I can't stress enough about how much happier I think you'll be in Winter Park with a much less heightened case of culture shock. Bear in mind Winter Park is completely different from Lake Nona with much older housing stock which in your price range have largely been redone to today's standards with homes of character, versus the shiny new Lake Nona style cookie-cutter version. Winter Park is quite walkable for the most part and in my list of homes I attached below you can convert to map view to see their proximity to shops/restaurants/parks, etc. The zip codes are 32789 and 32792 though I wouldn't use them as guidance as there are some areas within those areas while not so much dangerous, just wouldn't be appealing. Roughly anything from a few blocks west of SR436 over to US17-92/Orlando Ave, south of Lake Maitland/Howell Branch Road and north of Lake Sue/the Orlando city line would be the easiest focus point for a map. It also places you into an area with excellent public schools.

Winter Park 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando