Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

Hello there 21 yr old female here. A little bit about myself I live in Long Island New York. I have horrible credit, I am about 6500 in debt due to horrible credit card spending and a small student loan. I have a high school diploma, no kids, I have 2 years working in child care and 1 year working in logistics (importing). I want to move back to Orlando. I lived there between 2011 - 2013 and even though I was making peanuts working at the YMCA I was 10x happier, I moved back home to go back to school but dealing with my mothers depression and her boyfriends constant complaining I just want to pack up and go.

Currently I make 750 a bi weekly.
337 goes towards my car (leasing a car).
420 goes towards my insurance (progressive is a **** ton I know)
120 for my phone (in a contract, don't know how to get out of it)
150 for my credit card bill (4000 in debt)

Only been working for a year and the rest of the money goes towards school but I am no where near close to graduating yet.

I just want to know what should I do, what steps should I take. I was thinking of paying off my credit card debt, lowering my phone bill, all while applying for massive amounts of jobs in Orlando. I just want to know if it would be wise for me to move back or should I pick another state. I chose Orlando because I do have family down there that even though I cannot stay with them, its nice not to be alone. I just want a lot of advice, I only have to provide for myself and I know what I need and what I do not need. I already cut up my credit cards so no more swipe, I was looking at cheap studios.

Also if someone could give me an idea on how much utilities would be that would help.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM

45 posts, read 78,108 times
Look on craigslist and rent a room. it will be FAR less expensive and possibly manageable. Hopefully your car insurance will go down too...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Orlando isn't the place to move to get ahead with a job market that offers overwhelmingly lower-paying jobs if one doesn't have pertinent skills, a cost of living that's not compatible to those lower paying jobs and to top it off given your credit history, age and other factors don't think you'll see much of a drop in your car insurance. Comparing your current situation to one in the past (YMCA) isn't logical because you're in a different situation now and it's not going to be the same when you move back. I would recommend "sucking it up" and dealing with the issue of your mother/mother's boyfriend, pay off your debt and finish school in Long Island. You could just as easily rent a room there and no doubt have friends (or they know friends) who have an extra room you could move into.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 AM

My mother has Major Depressive Disorder and doesn't take her medication regularly so the matter of "sucking it up" is hard to do. I cannot even focus on school knowing that she might want me out the next day. In the year I have been living back home I have been thrown out twice for leaving a piece of cardboard in the garage and killing a mosquito because it was one of gods creatures. Renting a room, in long island plus utilities would get me a two bedroom in Orlando. I have more friends there than I do here.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Sounds like you've already decided. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori328 View Post
My mother has Major Depressive Disorder and doesn't take her medication regularly so the matter of "sucking it up" is hard to do. I cannot even focus on school knowing that she might want me out the next day. In the year I have been living back home I have been thrown out twice for leaving a piece of cardboard in the garage and killing a mosquito because it was one of gods creatures. Renting a room, in long island plus utilities would get me a two bedroom in Orlando. I have more friends there than I do here.
Kyle has beef against CFL. Long Island is crazy expensive compared to here, and if all you have is an entry-level job, you'll probably still do better here than there.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Kyle has beef against CFL. Long Island is crazy expensive compared to here, and if all you have is an entry-level job, you'll probably still do better here than there.
Yeah chopchop0 I lived there before and I do not understand why it gets hated so much. Its way better than the north. No harsh winters, and people aren't *******s. I never experienced any racism (and I am half spanish & half african american) and even though I made close to nothing I was happier. I moved back home to help my mother with my sisters medical expenses.

I just want to know if my plan of paying off my bills first is a good decision. Then saving (I can probably save about 9700 from now until next December) after paying off my debt.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Hello there 21 yr old female here. A little bit about myself I live in Long Island New York. I have horrible credit, I am about 6500 in debt due to horrible credit card spending and a small student loan. I have a high school diploma, no kids, I have 2 years working in child care and 1 year working in logistics (importing). I want to move back to Orlando. I lived there between 2011 - 2013 and even though I was making peanuts working at the YMCA I was 10x happier, I moved back home to go back to school but dealing with my mothers depression and her boyfriends constant complaining I just want to pack up and go.

Currently I make 750 a bi weekly.
337 goes towards my car (leasing a car).
420 goes towards my insurance (progressive is a **** ton I know)
120 for my phone (in a contract, don't know how to get out of it)
150 for my credit card bill (4000 in debt)

Only been working for a year and the rest of the money goes towards school but I am no where near close to graduating yet.

I just want to know what should I do, what steps should I take. I was thinking of paying off my credit card debt, lowering my phone bill, all while applying for massive amounts of jobs in Orlando. I just want to know if it would be wise for me to move back or should I pick another state. I chose Orlando because I do have family down there that even though I cannot stay with them, its nice not to be alone. I just want a lot of advice, I only have to provide for myself and I know what I need and what I do not need. I already cut up my credit cards so no more swipe, I was looking at cheap studios.

Also if someone could give me an idea on how much utilities would be that would help.

Thank you
If you are netting $1625 a month, I'm not seeing how you are going to do any better in Orlando. You'll be lucky to make $9 an hour with your experience. That leaves you with approximately $200 a month net.

My advice is to stay where you are, find a second job, save every dime of that paycheck, and get more experience in logistics, which is a field with a lot of room for growth and a lot of jobs being created. Get another year or two in that field under your belt and then move--by then you'll be done with the contract on the phone, most likely be done with that car lease--or close enough that they will let you break it early if you lease another (and it can be much less expensive) car from them, have at least 25% of the credit card debt paid down, and you'll be older and hopefully no tickets or accidents, so your insurance will drop.

At this point I wouldn't be going to college, I would be using your spare time to earn money for a cushion. Two years from now you can move here with a higher earning potential, lower monthly bills, and then once you are settled and have been here a year, go to UCF p/t with in-state tuition.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you are netting $1625 a month, I'm not seeing how you are going to do any better in Orlando. You'll be lucky to make $9 an hour with your experience. That leaves you with approximately $200 a month net.

My advice is to stay where you are, find a second job, save every dime of that paycheck, and get more experience in logistics, which is a field with a lot of room for growth and a lot of jobs being created. Get another year or two in that field under your belt and then move--by then you'll be done with the contract on the phone, most likely be done with that car lease--or close enough that they will let you break it early if you lease another (and it can be much less expensive) car from them, have at least 25% of the credit card debt paid down, and you'll be older and hopefully no tickets or accidents, so your insurance will drop.

At this point I wouldn't be going to college, I would be using your spare time to earn money for a cushion. Two years from now you can move here with a higher earning potential, lower monthly bills, and then once you are settled and have been here a year, go to UCF p/t with in-state tuition.
Not netting 1625, I get paid 1500 per month exactly. My lease is up October 2014 Then I will be taking public transport to work, there goes my car note and car insurance. All that is left is a massive credit card debt and phone bill. It is my mothers depression that is the driving force for me to move. I cannot bear it any longer if she doesn't take her medication regularly. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Not netting 1625, I get paid 1500 per month exactly. My lease is up October 2014 Then I will be taking public transport to work, there goes my car note and car insurance. All that is left is a massive credit card debt and phone bill. It is my mothers depression that is the driving force for me to move. I cannot bear it any longer if she doesn't take her medication regularly. Thanks for the advice.
I was referring to netting $1625/mo in Orlando, which would be about right with a $9/hr job as we have no state income tax.

If you will have no car, it might be harder--although not impossible--to find work in logistics near the airport. You'd have to be willing to walk a mile or so each way to the bus stop.

I would still set school aside for now. You are basically in survival mode. Find a p/t job, work as many hours as you can, put that entire paycheck into a bank account. As I see it, your biggest problem isn't the debt but rather the lack of savings to fall back on in an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: