U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 06:47 PM

782 posts, read 856,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Have you ever met anyone in FL that moved here from NC?
Well, as of today, there were three cars in different parts of the apartment complex where I live that have NC plates, making it tied for the top out-of-state license plate collection here. The next social is next week, so I'll ask around and see if I can find who those people are and where from NC they came from.

In case anyone is curious, the other places that people here seem to have come from are Ohio and Pennsylvania (each tied with NC), one person from Indiana, one other person from Maryland, one other person from Georgia and one person from Washington state (based on license plates) and Germany and Brazil (based on languages spoken at the pool).

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,850,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Thats not even close to what I said.
No, you said ...

"Who keeps the servers and systems operating? the janitor? "

And I say ...

"What makes you think the servers and systems need attention in Orlando ? In a Schwab branch, most sales and financial reps are using laptops that connect to a server located elsewhere."

Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,766,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Well, as of today, there were three cars in different parts of the apartment complex where I live that have NC plates, making it tied for the top out-of-state license plate collection here. The next social is next week, so I'll ask around and see if I can find who those people are and where from NC they came from.

In case anyone is curious, the other places that people here seem to have come from are Ohio and Pennsylvania (each tied with NC), one person from Indiana, one other person from Maryland, one other person from Georgia and one person from Washington state (based on license plates) and Germany and Brazil (based on languages spoken at the pool).

Hahahahahahaha! Ok. They're probably visiting hahahaha (not kidding).

Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 PM

782 posts, read 856,244 times
Quote:
Hahahahahahaha! Ok. They're probably visiting hahahaha (not kidding).
I did a quick search of the forums here, just to see if there were any NC to FL folks that might be able to explain their decisions to move down here…but when I found the forum posts, you had replied to almost every one of them, so I didn't see any need to redirect you to people that you already have talked with about their moves from NC to FL, even if you don't remember them. Is it a case of superficiality that comes about through forums that made those people wholly unmemorable? Is it the higher than the national average percentage of memory-challenged people found in Florida? Who knows…

Anyhow, need to get back to work for tonight. Getting near some deadlines for book projects I'm working on, and they don't pay additional bonuses for missed deadlines. Have a great evening, and hope that you'll be able to head up to wherever makes you most happy if you have the ability to relocate. And if ever we meet, the drink's on me…as long as it isn't in the Carolinas. :P

Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 AM

433 posts, read 786,861 times
Ok one more post but i just want to make it clear there is a lot of things i like about people here too. Ive got lots of advice in the past here and your heading caught my attention. Had i been explaining this to myself 5 years ago maybe id have decided against florida but i doubt it.

Being in the tech industry would be an advantage for you in orlando although i can think of other cities with better tech industries that have good weather.

I too use to be a tourist and had many fond memories of florida and people in florida in the 90s. Consider that most of florida industry is tourism and you may come to understand why many put on a good act. The people certainly know how to put on a good show here but a lot of it is just that - a show. Many warned me on here as well as friends who spent a few years in florida and i didnt understand it either. I just remember wondering why they seemed to hate the people here very strongly and wondering why. Truth its not easy to explain it.

Ive never been to cali so i cant compare it to that but if i had to compare the average floridian to south cali culture id say that in florida u get all the negatives of that culture but without the positives. If people arnt trying to get something from hou they are judging you. Theres really not much in between.

If you want one example my roomate of 2 years who acted like my best friend kicked me out with no notice on a holiday for a petty reason. Thats just an example. The minute i was not needed anymore im gone. Theres no loyalty or class.

I have been to new york and new england. The people in florida are better mannered and more polite. They are not rude like they are there and are more self aware. They value positivity way higher than being honest in florida. For this reason you will often find yourself wondering what happened to this new friend of yours or why your co worker u have lunch with threw u under the bus. In new england or new york they are less concerned with politeness or positivity. However u know where u stand and when u make a friend up there you have a real friend even if u have a bad day or disagree sometimes. Not true here.

Ive also been to nc/sc. They can be judgemental but only if you lack morals and manners or come off that way. They are good people who will give u a chance. Thats the true south.

Traffic mirrors the culture here. The issue is not the same as new york or la. The issue there is being stuck in traffic. The issue here goes back to the self centered thing. I cant tell u how many times ive had to bail out of my lane because another driver came into my lane. Youll have huge trucks on your butt going 95 mph reving their engine up even though your already speeding. The traffic itself isnt bad and yet there are accidents every day all the time. More people get run over here than any other place. People just dont care here. The morning shows think its funny to joke about crime sprees and murders here. This place just lacks class.

Overall you will just have to see for yourself. As a family with money and jobs lined up you can live in a good area and live in a bit of a vacum and that will certainly help. Theres also lots to do here and you can meet activity partners easily. There is some tech jobs in orlando. Orlando is very clean and entertaining for its size. The weather is great most the year. Lots of pluses.

As far as interaction with the average floridian? Personality and being different is looked down on. Lay back see who your dealing with act exactly like them. Be very calm and laid back. Never say anything negative or challenge them in any way and you will make some temporary friends and activity partners easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Wow Eagle, I really appreciate you putting a lot of efforts in writing me the details about Orlando. Make me pause and think.

From your perspective I see that you are more into people and cultures, and perhaps the general lower income in Florida are creating many social conflicts than you desire?

You mention about rudeness, superficial appearances, and advantage-seeking people in Florida.
1) How is this more prevalent in Orlando/FLorida than other places? I mean, there are many of these people around, esp at high cost places like CAL, NY, major cities, no? I would say I found more genuine heart people in mid-west or farmland culture places. But then to me, I felt I wasted 50% of my life (6 months winter/all-day-grey-rain) due to cold weather + lack of activities.

Would you mind share some relevant examples? I felt like I am a tourist here, seeing only all the roses! From chinese ancient cultures, there were 2 philosophies -- People/babies born of natural good heart, and the opposite view that all human would be evil that's why we need laws and social guidance. Of course, now we learn to combine both.

About the crazy drivings. I think I can live with that, as both me/wife immigrated from 3rd world countries and we have seen much crazier traffic behaviors. We drove through Florida a few times -- Orlando, Tampa, Marco Island, Key West. But so far I did not notice things outside of my comfort zone. But maybe we were at Tourist areas, or maybe better place of town. Frankly, maybe I am the problem -- in Ohio highways I drive cutting left/right frequently, or cut the lines sometimes. Sh.... So far in life, I drove very careful and no fault accidents ever on my part.
2) Are there specific area with very bad traffic that we should avoid in Orlando? Crazy Jam, driving, etc.

The scam things. Funny some older people told me about this also in my last trip to Tampa. It seems like scams are more prevalent in Florida.
3) Would you mind letting me know what sort of things/tactics I should be careful to not fallen as a victim?

Finally, and forgive me if I understand it incorrectly, the one overwhelming theme in your issues with Orlando people behaviors, seems mainly driven by lower income? I can sense that lower income in a big cities would bring "advantage-seeking" behaviors due to large gap of wealth-poorness divide, and people tend to be superficial to either catch up with jones, or being selfish because well, too busy and too little left to give. Me & Wife are both IT professionals.

So would the experience be much better in an affluent place with better schools?

Thanks Again,
Sean

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-12-2014 at 02:54 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,587,675 times
Quote:
Have you ever met anyone in FL that moved here from NC? I bet not. Very few ppl have I met in FL who moved here from NC. However I've met tons of people that have moved to NC from FL. Remember, I've lived in BOTH states and I know what I'm talking about.

I dont remember saying jobs pay more there, maybe if you're talking Raleigh or Charlotte vs Orlando. But in general, I'd say they're about the same.
Funny you should mention it. Yes. Ive met several NC and SC people here.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 AM

You do realize that most of the FL population isnt from here. FL's population draws people from all 50 states. If someone was a jerk in their home state they are still going to be jerks here. If you were a good to know type person in your home state, you're going to be the same type of person here.
I was out this a.m. putting out my trash. My neighbor was out working on his law (even though the grass and ground is soaking wet) and we chatted for more than 15 mins and covered several subjects.
He's from Michigan, younger than me. This is pretty normal. I run into neighborhood people out shopping now and then and we always engage in conversation. The usual stuff, weather, houses for sale in the neighborhood, the price of gas and what not. Mostly like it was when I lived in NYC.
You recognize people who live in your building and stop and chat a bit. Some people didnt want to be bothered with their neighbors but the majority were friendly and helpful. Regardless, 1000 a day come to live here. Surely just as many leave everyday but the population stays in balance with a trend of growth.

Frankly, Ive never seen so many people with social difficulties as Ive seen on C-D.

Maybe its because the majority of you folks live in or just outside of a major city. The further you go from the stress and annoyances of the city the more enjoyable life can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Ok one more post but i just want to make it clear there is a lot of things i like about people here too. Ive got lots of advice in the past here and your heading caught my attention. Had i been explaining this to myself 5 years ago maybe id have decided against florida but i doubt it.

Being in the tech industry would be an advantage for you in orlando although i can think of other cities with better tech industries that have good weather.

I too use to be a tourist and had many fond memories of florida and people in florida in the 90s. Consider that most of florida industry is tourism and you may come to understand why many put on a good act. The people certainly know how to put on a good show here but a lot of it is just that - a show. Many warned me on here as well as friends who spent a few years in florida and i didnt understand it either. I just remember wondering why they seemed to hate the people here very strongly and wondering why. Truth its not easy to explain it.

Ive never been to cali so i cant compare it to that but if i had to compare the average floridian to south cali culture id say that in florida u get all the negatives of that culture but without the positives. If people arnt trying to get something from hou they are judging you. Theres really not much in between.

If you want one example my roomate of 2 years who acted like my best friend kicked me out with no notice on a holiday for a petty reason. Thats just an example. The minute i was not needed anymore im gone. Theres no loyalty or class.

I have been to new york and new england. The people in florida are better mannered and more polite. They are not rude like they are there and are more self aware. They value positivity way higher than being honest in florida. For this reason you will often find yourself wondering what happened to this new friend of yours or why your co worker u have lunch with threw u under the bus. In new england or new york they are less concerned with politeness or positivity. However u know where u stand and when u make a friend up there you have a real friend even if u have a bad day or disagree sometimes. Not true here.

Ive also been to nc/sc. They can be judgemental but only if you lack morals and manners or come off that way. They are good people who will give u a chance. Thats the true south.

Traffic mirrors the culture here. The issue is not the same as new york or la. The issue there is being stuck in traffic. The issue here goes back to the self centered thing. I cant tell u how many times ive had to bail out of my lane because another driver came into my lane. Youll have huge trucks on your butt going 95 mph reving their engine up even though your already speeding. The traffic itself isnt bad and yet there are accidents every day all the time. More people get run over here than any other place. People just dont care here. The morning shows think its funny to joke about crime sprees and murders here. This place just lacks class.

Overall you will just have to see for yourself. As a family with money and jobs lined up you can live in a good area and live in a bit of a vacum and that will certainly help. Theres also lots to do here and you can meet activity partners easily. There is some tech jobs in orlando. Orlando is very clean and entertaining for its size. The weather is great most the year. Lots of pluses.

As far as interaction with the average floridian? Personality and being different is looked down on. Lay back see who your dealing with act exactly like them. Be very calm and laid back. Never say anything negative or challenge them in any way and you will make some temporary friends and activity partners easily.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 AM

214 posts, read 621,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Who keeps the servers and systems operating? the janitor?
No. Spring, all the IT systems (servers/clients) connect to each others through the physical wires, and that's what enabled many jobs today to be "virtual", which means say a system admin can "remote" connect from his computer (a "client") into the server physically far away and perform all the server computer jobs, as if the admin is right on the physical server.

These days, in order to save cost and be more efficient, servers are bundled together in places like "Server Farm" in a far away location, where you have thousands of powerful server computers located together, to save electricity, water, storage/rental, and staffing cost. These farms require just a handful of maintenance staff to clean, fix utilities, and be there to physically turn on/off/relocate the servers because sometimes servers itself can hang and need physical reboot.

But most other IT staff, like 10 times more, are working at other locations or headquarters. A branch of Charles Schwab would have only the client computer connect remotely to the central server to enter data or execute trades, so the branch would not need a single IT staff. Maybe they contract out, or maybe a few branches can share just 1 IT staff in the case the local client PCs get into trouble of connecting to the central server.

But those many highly-paid server admins jobs or software designers, likely located with the headquarters, would work with the Charles Schwab executives to report day to day operations, or get new requirements to change server system/trade-interface design.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:25 AM

214 posts, read 621,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Being in the tech industry would be an advantage for you in orlando although i can think of other cities with better tech industries that have good weather....

...They value positivity way higher than being honest in florida. For this reason you will often find yourself wondering what happened to this new friend of yours or why your co worker u have lunch with threw u under the bus. In new england or new york they are less concerned with politeness or positivity. However u know where u stand and when u make a friend up there you have a real friend even if u have a bad day or disagree sometimes. Not true here.

Thanks Eagle. Your post is an opening for me. Having only lived in OH so far, I have not had the opportunity to experience the difference in cultures across the whole USA.

Your note about "positivity trounce honesty" concerns me somewhat. I am an engineer, and I hate BS, because a bad apple is always a bad apple, and denying it and eating it would only cause harm. I like positivity, but I would likely raise the issues and facts as I see it.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the explanation. They still need someone to troubleshoot in house PC problems, connect, disconnect or setup workstations, deal with on site hardware issues.

Call some of the places I mentioned and ask for the "IT department" and see what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
No. Spring, all the IT systems (servers/clients) connect to each others through the physical wires, and that's what enabled many jobs today to be "virtual", which means say a system admin can "remote" connect from his computer (a "client") into the server physically far away and perform all the server computer jobs, as if the admin is right on the physical server.

These days, in order to save cost and be more efficient, servers are bundled together in places like "Server Farm" in a far away location, where you have thousands of powerful server computers located together, to save electricity, water, storage/rental, and staffing cost. These farms require just a handful of maintenance staff to clean, fix utilities, and be there to physically turn on/off/relocate the servers because sometimes servers itself can hang and need physical reboot.

But most other IT staff, like 10 times more, are working at other locations or headquarters. A branch of Charles Schwab would have only the client computer connect remotely to the central server to enter data or execute trades, so the branch would not need a single IT staff. Maybe they contract out, or maybe a few branches can share just 1 IT staff in the case the local client PCs get into trouble of connecting to the central server.

But those many highly-paid server admins jobs or software designers, likely located with the headquarters, would work with the Charles Schwab executives to report day to day operations, or get new requirements to change server system/trade-interface design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando