U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 18,615 times

Advertisements

This has certainly been an interesting thread for someone moving to the Orlando area as soon as our Illinois house sells. We are moving to Winter Garden/Windermere area, although we still aren't sure exactly where. We have spent a lot of time in Florida and in Orlando over the years and while we might have picked another part of Florida if our daughter didn't work for Disney, I find it surprising that people are shocked it is hot and humid in Florida! It is hot and humid in Illinois too, and I will do what I do here, I will stay in the air-conditioning. We look forward to having so much to do. We are both educated, I would say cultured and what some posters might call "old" but the idea of all the concerts, sporting events, festivals, art shows, farmer's markets and simply seeing sunshine, flowers and trees all year long really appeals to us. Of course I have concerns about crime and Florida creatures, but I live in tornado alley now...there is always something to worry about wherever you are. My biggest concern is meeting people and that may take some effort. I think much of this depends on what a person wants their life to be. We could move to Chicago easily, we have family there. It is a great place to visit and the museums are amazing. However, we like to drive not take a train, we don't like opera we like rock, we have visited the museums more time than we can count, we like eating a little earlier than 10:00pm and the winters here are brutal. I will miss Fall and I will miss my winter wardrobe. The best thing is, if you make a mistake...you can always move.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,067,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4000 View Post
This has certainly been an interesting thread for someone moving to the Orlando area as soon as our Illinois house sells. We are moving to Winter Garden/Windermere area, although we still aren't sure exactly where. We have spent a lot of time in Florida and in Orlando over the years and while we might have picked another part of Florida if our daughter didn't work for Disney, I find it surprising that people are shocked it is hot and humid in Florida! It is hot and humid in Illinois too, and I will do what I do here, I will stay in the air-conditioning. We look forward to having so much to do. We are both educated, I would say cultured and what some posters might call "old" but the idea of all the concerts, sporting events, festivals, art shows, farmer's markets and simply seeing sunshine, flowers and trees all year long really appeals to us. Of course I have concerns about crime and Florida creatures, but I live in tornado alley now...there is always something to worry about wherever you are. My biggest concern is meeting people and that may take some effort. I think much of this depends on what a person wants their life to be. We could move to Chicago easily, we have family there. It is a great place to visit and the museums are amazing. However, we like to drive not take a train, we don't like opera we like rock, we have visited the museums more time than we can count, we like eating a little earlier than 10:00pm and the winters here are brutal. I will miss Fall and I will miss my winter wardrobe. The best thing is, if you make a mistake...you can always move.
You will be fine because you have the right attitude. As with all of us, those things and experiences from "home" will always have a special place in our hearts, but what separates you from some others is that you are eagerly looking forward to exploring the unique things that Orlando has to offer. Even if you ended up moving to Houston, San Francisco, or Atlanta, you would most likely end up having a good experience because of your mindset.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM

626 posts, read 702,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4000 View Post

Great post and you know what, the humidity here is lower than the humidity there. Check it out.The entertainment here is fantastic so much so, we never even get to the beach!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM

98 posts, read 101,135 times
Default Hmmm

I believe this thread was about Orlando though, not Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillStyles View Post
This is my leaving tampa rant The months have now turned into days!! Im outta this "wanna be city"
ok like so many others who finally got out of tampa they left the people coming to tampa a message on what to expect

I graduated from U of South Florida(the only good thing in Tampa) and thought maybe id like to stay and see what tampa has to offer.

f your horrible street design centered around U turns
f your old retires who slowly are taking over all the beaches
f you outrageous hs drop out rate
f your every corner bums asking for a dollar, that just got off a bus from another state
f your over precence of police on every corner
f your glamorous post card of "downtown" thats acutally empty
f your gated communities where nobody inside even talks to each other, and if they do it reeks of fakeness
f your "night life" that only consist of either hanging out in ybor with kids or in south tampa with post frat boys and sorority girls
f your 12 dollar an hour jobs with no benefits
f your baseball team that NOBODY goes to. Espn can not even show a wide shot because people are too broke in tampa to support a professional baseball team.
f your football team where the players play like crap on purpose so they can get traded to a real city
f your private schools that are really just normal public schools in other states
f your outrageous housing insurance
f your large amount of running from somthing in another state population
f your terrible civil enginerring in which the idea was to spread everything out as much as possible
f your comfortable miserable mentalities
f your overly depressed population, how is a place with 300 plus days of sunshine leading the country in stress?
f your subliminal racist conservative population in south tampa
f your public schools that are just large baby sitting institutions.
f your mass transit system that only doesn't even cover 1/3 of the city
f your genuis idea of putting a theme park in the ghetto
f your super shady population. its true its the "sunny place for shady people"
f your painfully boring "im a server, or im a DJ, or i work at a call center" population
f your i just just got out of prison or i just got out of rehab population thats EVERYWHERE.

Tampa you deserve 1 big FU!

I hope everybody that is coming to tampa reads this so you don't end up disapointed. More people move to tampa and leave than move and stay. Is living in sunshine all year really worth it?? IM OUT, GOOD LUCK

Old 10-23-2014, 04:06 PM

479 posts, read 354,681 times
Actually, the title of the thread is why do people move out of Orlando OR Florida..... Tampa is part of Florida last I looked....

Such negativity from this person though. If he/she thinks that there are better sports teams in Chicago (for example), or that the population of people aren't depressed pretty much everywhere, he/she is in for a rude awakening. The grass ain't always greener....

Much of this list describes a LOT of America.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
The grass ain't always greener....

The grass may be greener on the other side, but you'll have to mow that too.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 11,590,903 times
Quote:
Actually, the title of the thread is why do people move out of Orlando OR Florida..... Tampa is part of Florida last I looked....

Such negativity from this person though. If he/she thinks that there are better sports teams in Chicago (for example), or that the population of people aren't depressed pretty much everywhere, he/she is in for a rude awakening. The grass ain't always greener....

Much of this list describes a LOT of America.

The thing is, narrow minded people dont realize what is happening in other places. People like that need the security blanket they left at home. Get some assistance, some stamps, hang with the homies. Ah, just like when they left it. He will, hopefully spread the word and prevent others from making any attempts at living here which is good for all of us.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:20 PM

479 posts, read 354,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The thing is, narrow minded people dont realize what is happening in other places. People like that need the security blanket they left at home. Get some assistance, some stamps, hang with the homies. Ah, just like when they left it. He will, hopefully spread the word and prevent others from making any attempts at living here which is good for all of us.
Yes, good point.

He needs to come to Chicago, really. If he doesn't like bums begging on every corner, don't come here. He needs to go to the south side and see what a low police presence looks likes (it looks like a higher murder rate than Afghanistan).

And that foul language - it's no wonder he feels so miserable. The filth coming out of his mouth will prohibit any kind of upward mobility. But I think he probably thinks he should be allowed to be/do/say whatever he wants in life and be rewarded for it.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM

The Two Travelers and the Farmer

North America

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

Source: Folktales for Travelers

Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 11,590,903 times
Quote:
Yes, good point.

He needs to come to Chicago, really. If he doesn't like bums begging on every corner, don't come here. He needs to go to the south side and see what a low police presence looks likes (it looks like a higher murder rate than Afghanistan).

And that foul language - it's no wonder he feels so miserable. The filth coming out of his mouth will prohibit any kind of upward mobility. But I think he probably thinks he should be allowed to be/do/say whatever he wants in life and be rewarded for it.

Yep. I know what u mean. The guy screwed up and places the fault of his failure on a city.
Right, people like that always wind up on the short end of the stick complaining all their lives that it was the fault of everyone and everything except themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando