U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,622,544 times
Reputation: 3313

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your assumption that the people here or there are inherently different is ridiculous. You may perceive it that way but I think its just another way for your head to deal with the fact that you are here and there is so so much better. Keeps your dream alive. It didnt take too long for FL to get overcrowded. It will take less time to crowd up the carolina's. People are still bailing out of the NYC metro area. They are being priced out as their incomes cannot keep up with the financial demands put on them.
I respect your opinion, but I'm right. There's a difference. I'm not going to get into it on here but just believe me, the people moving to the Carolina's are different than a lot of the folks moving to FL.

 
Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Really ? So your assumption is that people are the same anywhere you live ? Guess that makes the community of maximum security prisoners at San Quentin the same as the community of missionaries that worked with Mother Teresa ... Comsense is right; there is a definite increase in civility in NC/SC/GA. C'mon up and see for yourself ..
Yes. that is my assumption. The guests at San Quentin I am sure are a lot like the guests at
FCI Butner. However, the people outside the walls are probably very nice.

Your thinking is that the geographical place where someone is born causes them to be different than some one born elsewhere? Now that is ridiculous.

You may not know it, but when you get away from cities in FL the people are more civil than those in Orlando, Tampa, Miami. Cities wipe civility off the map due to the dense concentrations of people. I found civility in Winter Garden and Clermont, Mascotte, just to name a few. I see it here in Spring Hill, Homasassa Springs, Crystal River. City folks are stressed which takes toll on civility.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,622,544 times
Reputation: 3313
^^^ a lot of people just arent pleasant to be around, its not everybody of course, but definitely a difference in the way ppl act, especially if from other states in the south. whether it be rude, loud and obnoxious, nasty, etc. there's a lot of acting hard/ghetto mentality here especially amoung the youth. theres no shortage of it and that's my biggest complaint.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,622,544 times
Reputation: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes. that is my assumption. The guests at San Quentin I am sure are a lot like the guests at
FCI Butner. However, the people outside the walls are probably very nice.

Your thinking is that the geographical place where someone is born causes them to be different than some one born elsewhere? Now that is ridiculous.

You may not know it, but when you get away from cities in FL the people are more civil than those in Orlando, Tampa, Miami. Cities wipe civility off the map due to the dense concentrations of people. I found civility in Winter Garden and Clermont, Mascotte, just to name a few. I see it here in Spring Hill, Homasassa Springs, Crystal River. City folks are stressed which takes toll on civility.
I would agree that in smaller areas of FL, its much better. I'm realistic, I try not to be biased. But in general, there is a difference. Was in Charlotte this past week for 3 days... I noticed in comparison to Orlando that the ppl in CLT were definitely friendly and more professional. My 2 cents, take it or leave it, but I'm being honest.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ a lot of people just arent pleasant to be around, its not everybody of course, but definitely a difference in the way ppl act, especially if from other states in the south. whether it be rude, loud and obnoxious, nasty, etc. there's a lot of acting hard/ghetto mentality here especially amoung the youth. theres no shortage of it and that's my biggest complaint.

Yep. Sounds like the city. Rude, loud obnoxious, nasty. The ghetto mentality is a trend. Everybody wants "street rep". Wearing the pants around the knees is a statement. Back in my day in NYC hoods green laces on one sneaker and red on the other were symbolic. It was a racial thing. For the Puerto Rican kids gang affiliation was a sign of being outstanding. Being tough was the goal. White kids were demin jackets
bottles of beer and muscle cars. Everybody wanted to stand out in the crowd. They wanted to be recognized. Same crap today, different signs. Let me tell ya, when 8-12 of us walked from one end of the subway train to the other we were being tough. We got noticed. We instilled a fear into those watching us go by. Walking down the street in a large group was also meant to be intimidating and protective at the same time. Its really no different now except today there arent any limits. A street punk will put a bullet in your butt at the drop of a hat. We were more of the fists and garbage can kinda guys.

If am sure if you go out to West Charlotte you wont find too much civility.

Same in East and South Raleigh.
 
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,599 posts, read 2,791,564 times
Reputation: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your thinking is that the geographical place where someone is born causes them to be different than some one born elsewhere? Now that is ridiculous.
So a kid born in suburban Charlotte is no different than a kid born in the Bronx ? Maybe right out the womb that is true .. geography makes a huge difference in civility. If you grow up in a place where civility abounds and you are taught to respect other people, you are more likely to show civility than someone brought up in an area when folks are disrespected. Put that same kid from the Bronx in suburban Charlotte at an early age and it's a different story.

No one ever said that ALL of Orlando or Florida lacks civility. But a general rule, civility is demonstrated much more often in GA/NC/SC.
 
Old 08-09-2014, 12:13 AM
 
433 posts, read 778,510 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I guess I don't understand what this means in reality. Can you give me any kind of example of something that happened to you in real life that illustrates your point? What makes someone trashy, fake, ignorant and stuck up? What do they say to you? Like foul language? Like poor grammar? I am just not getting the picture here....
Its pretty complicated to try to explain and im not saying that everyone is like this but it seems the longer they have been here the more likely they are like this. Sadly it seems that its part of the florida culture at this point.

Basically you got a bunch of people coming down here to get something. Unlike other diverse areas the people dont mesh well here. If your not one of them you will be taken for a ride, ignored, or used. Something as simple as a word you say or a text is enough for them to rule u out as an acquantance if your percieved to be different.

On top of that you got other dynamics going on. Fact is there are not a lot of intelligent people to be found. Many are of lower education and stay here to either prey off tourists, because they have been here all their lives, or because there are a lot of jobs that dont require college. There are many other reasons to stay like weather and things to do but im just saying florida tends to draw and keep lower intelligence people.

Thankfully many do have manners. On the surface many will be friendly and polite. So its not like your dealing with rude people constantly its just they could care less if u live or die. End of story. People are way more selfish here than anywhere else ive lived. Things like morals ethics and true friendships are completely irrelevant to many here. Its more what can u do forme lately and if you dont have many superficial things in common and if there isnt some major benefit for them they wont stick around or will use you.

You could say that is how society is in general but after spending time here u realize that here in florida this attitude is way more extreme and seems to be a constant pattern. Now the older you are and the more family you have the less an issue this will be. There are also lots of ways to meet people so you will always have friends but you just wont have many that are real friends or stick around. Not many here value simple things or morals either. Many dont respect or even know what morals are as these things have zero value to them.

Theres also not much class here. There are people with manners who know how to make u feel good but not class. A lot of the nice things they say or do are on the surface with ulterior motives. So for example imagine if you had a boss who made u feel valuable maybe even make you feel they are your best pal until suddenly they fire you on the spot for some petty reason in a cold way then laughed at you with other employees as you left. Thats kind of how it is. people just dont care about you here. Accept it.

Another big issue is that floridians have seen their state go downhill and seem to blame it on "outsiders". This also can make it challenging to find real friends because many of the people who wont leave seem to want to stick to their own and not really associate aside from surface pleasantries. Doesnt matter how long your here for if your not floridian your not floridian.

Take all this ( segratory culture, come and go culture, ignorance, superficial culture, fake nice but no class) take all that and you can see how over time people can get frustrated. This is particularly true if u dont have family here, are younger, are intelligent, value things that many here dont, or are single. For you it may not be as much of an issue.

All that said im not a orlando basher or even a florida basher. I think this city is better than 75 percent of them overall. In addition ive made countless friends and have dated several girls. You can meet people here just realize they dont really give a **** about you and could move or not return your text tomorrow. Live for the moment. Thats florida.

The bad things are dealing with the attitudes i speak of on a near daily basis, a one dimensional economy, and the wages. The only other thing is if u like a real big city. Orlando has lots to do but its more of a small city with entertainment options of a bigger city.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-09-2014 at 12:46 AM..
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
So a kid born in suburban Charlotte is no different than a kid born in the Bronx ? Maybe right out the womb that is true .. geography makes a huge difference in civility. If you grow up in a place where civility abounds and you are taught to respect other people, you are more likely to show civility than someone brought up in an area when folks are disrespected. Put that same kid from the Bronx in suburban Charlotte at an early age and it's a different story.

No one ever said that ALL of Orlando or Florida lacks civility. But a general rule, civility is demonstrated much more often in GA/NC/SC.
Civility is one of the things that is taught by parents. Just like proper manners. Your knowledge of average new yorker is limited.
 
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
Reputation: 5981
I would bet that you dont have too many friends, if any at all. Your "I am better than you" attitude would be a good reason for it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Its pretty complicated to try to explain and im not saying that everyone is like this but it seems the longer they have been here the more likely they are like this. Sadly it seems that its part of the florida culture at this point.

Basically you got a bunch of people coming down here to get something. Unlike other diverse areas the people dont mesh well here. If your not one of them you will be taken for a ride, ignored, or used. Something as simple as a word you say or a text is enough for them to rule u out as an acquantance if your percieved to be different.

On top of that you got other dynamics going on. Fact is there are not a lot of intelligent people to be found. Many are of lower education and stay here to either prey off tourists, because they have been here all their lives, or because there are a lot of jobs that dont require college. There are many other reasons to stay like weather and things to do but im just saying florida tends to draw and keep lower intelligence people.

Thankfully many do have manners. On the surface many will be friendly and polite. So its not like your dealing with rude people constantly its just they could care less if u live or die. End of story. People are way more selfish here than anywhere else ive lived. Things like morals ethics and true friendships are completely irrelevant to many here. Its more what can u do forme lately and if you dont have many superficial things in common and if there isnt some major benefit for them they wont stick around or will use you.

You could say that is how society is in general but after spending time here u realize that here in florida this attitude is way more extreme and seems to be a constant pattern. Now the older you are and the more family you have the less an issue this will be. There are also lots of ways to meet people so you will always have friends but you just wont have many that are real friends or stick around. Not many here value simple things or morals either. Many dont respect or even know what morals are as these things have zero value to them.

Theres also not much class here. There are people with manners who know how to make u feel good but not class. A lot of the nice things they say or do are on the surface with ulterior motives. So for example imagine if you had a boss who made u feel valuable maybe even make you feel they are your best pal until suddenly they fire you on the spot for some petty reason in a cold way then laughed at you with other employees as you left. Thats kind of how it is. people just dont care about you here. Accept it.

Another big issue is that floridians have seen their state go downhill and seem to blame it on "outsiders". This also can make it challenging to find real friends because many of the people who wont leave seem to want to stick to their own and not really associate aside from surface pleasantries. Doesnt matter how long your here for if your not floridian your not floridian.

Take all this ( segratory culture, come and go culture, ignorance, superficial culture, fake nice but no class) take all that and you can see how over time people can get frustrated. This is particularly true if u dont have family here, are younger, are intelligent, value things that many here dont, or are single. For you it may not be as much of an issue.

All that said im not a orlando basher or even a florida basher. I think this city is better than 75 percent of them overall. In addition ive made countless friends and have dated several girls. You can meet people here just realize they dont really give a **** about you and could move or not return your text tomorrow. Live for the moment. Thats florida.

The bad things are dealing with the attitudes i speak of on a near daily basis, a one dimensional economy, and the wages. The only other thing is if u like a real big city. Orlando has lots to do but its more of a small city with entertainment options of a bigger city.
 
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL and Orlando, FL
828 posts, read 648,238 times
Reputation: 691
As a former Orlando Resident who grew up in the area, I relocated up north about a year ago to pursue a better career opportunity and to be honest that is the one and only reason why I left. I loved the Orlando area (and still do) and I dearly miss it, not only do I have lots of friends/family there but I miss the nice warm weather and the plethora of fun things to do every weekend (theme parks, beaches, museums, etc).

I would like to return to the area as soon as the opportunity arises but unfortuneatly that is one of the cons of the area, the job market is oversaturated and wages tend to be lower than the national average across the board for all industries and positions. Nonetheless, I know that when I take this step to move back I will likely have to take a pay cut which I am willing to do for the better QOL that Orlando offers.

In your situation, I say GO FOR IT! Orlando is a great area and I think you will very much enjoy it, especially consdering that you plan to live in nice areas (like Winter Park) that are reputable for a high QOL and community satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top