U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,412,385 times

Advertisements

I dont know where you folks find all this rude behavior that is being talked about. It sounds like you want everyone to kiss your as* everywhere you go. NC is overun with people with a New York Attitude as you call it due to the amount of transplants and half backs there. I am not quite sure what a NY attitude is anymore because the native population there has been so watered down by migration. The Ralph Kramden and Archie Bunker types have faded away for the most part. Here I hear "excuse me" when some needs to pass in a supermarket aisle, or a smile and a pause as they squeeze by without bothering to ask me to move. I dont hear "hey, you. move the damm cart". I have experienced "door holders" even when I am not close to the doorm I greet people with a smile andm usually get one back. I am known to make funny comments to strangers. I like getting a chuckle out of people. Sure, you cant get a chuckle from everyone, there are a lot of people out there with a lot of stuff on their minds. Especially older folk who are suffering from the problems of old age. I try to brighten the day of people that I interact with.

I would like to know how someone would "put you in check".

Discussions with servers? Wouldnt they have a job to do instead of discussing nonsene with you?

Some times I think that a few of you are living in some fantasy land where people fart rainbows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It sure does. And you're spot on about FL attracting "different folks".

You couldn't be more wrong. The problem with FL vs other southern states is that if you come down to NC or GA with a "New York attitude" they will put you in check.

FL is so overrun with transplants and so transient that the natives have long been outnumbered. Rude behavior has become the norm.

I remember having a discussion with a waitress in FL after coming back from a road trip through GA, SC, and NC and telling her much friendlier people were how you heard "excuse me" in the stores.

Her reply(she hadn't been out of FL in years) was "well I'm from NJ originally so I'm used to rude"...LOL.

There is definitely a noticeable difference when you go out to stores and restaurants and interact with people in GA/SC/NC. It was a real eye opener in fact.

And again I think the main factor is the natives aren't going to allow transplants to move there and have an "up north" attitude. You want to live here fine, but you're going as the saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"....FL(with the exception of the Panhandle) has been overtaken by people who don't mesh and think they're NY/NJ ways are acceptable, and in fact they have become the norm.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM

There really isnt a lack of jobs, its a lack of people qualified to do a particular job. Another factor is the huge increases in population leave a lot of people jobless because of the competition for any particular job.

If there are 5 applicants who are qualified to do the job, 4 of them are going to be out of work when the hiring process is over.

20 million residents.

6.2 percent unemployment rate.

Persons over 65 years of age are less than 20% of the entire population.

23,000 houses being sold each month in FL. Plus 1000 condo sales.

Average Annual Wage$43,211 for Floridian

In May of this year Governor Rick Scott celebrated Florida’s first place ranking in quality of living environment, taking the top spot from Texas, according to Chief Executive Magazine. This year Florida’s business climate continued to improve, and is closer to becoming the best state in the nation for business. Florida took over the second spot in 2013 and continues to gain ground on top-ranked Texas. Florida has been placed prominently on the business map with announcements by such companies as Verizon, Hertz, Amazon, Bristol-Myers Squibb, USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union and Deutsche Bank, demonstrating a confidence in the state’s workforce, infrastructure and tax policies.

In what ways would the senior population have an effect on growth? You state "those with money hate giving any of it away for future generations". In what world does anyone give away money unless they are ultra rich and do it for the tax breaks? Mary and Albert from Canton Ohio would leave their money, if any, to their children. Fred deLuca, owner of the Subway restaurant chain, Mickey Arison, owner of Carnival Cruise Lines and many other very rich people do contribute to many organizations and they pay their corporate taxes to the State of FL.

As to the question: what do you want Florida to be for you?

I think the answer from the majority of the states inbound migration would say
1. A decent job.
2. A home to live in.
3. A pleasant place to raise my family.
4. A variety of options on how to obtain what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
why move out? why you move in to start? most people are not from here come here to make it their own and find out they can't. many things that make it undesirable for the middle aged group is salary- lack of jobs- transportation and community. This elder generation has put a big stop to moving forward. Many on fixed SS income has not allowed the growth we need, and those with money hate giving any of it away for future generations. The influx of immigrants can be taken in both ways--- Cuba made the thriving city of Miami... immigrants make the state produce what it has-- veggies, fruits and TOURISM. with out the low paid immigrants workers- be NO Florida. The govt tries to bring business here with low tax benefits etc to extend that welcome and boy do people scream! I think the question should be-- what do you want Florida to be for you? I would say a good portion would say a peaceful retirement vacation home
till I die. The growing infrastructure has never come from these folks. they do buy, spend little and never invest in the community. Investors run Florida, they are cold. money making machines churning and tilling the state as a farmers does soil. People keep moving because everything keeps going up except salary. ONLY other institution thriving here is the medical field.. the rest of the state,the money maker is drugs.

Drug Money | South Florida Real Estate | Billy Corben

Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Most people arent looking for the fine dining, $100,000.00 + a year job, being surrounded by intellectuals,
et al as some of the pseudo-eliteists here on CD expect. The dangerous cities in FL are in south FL. with the exception of Orlando and Daytona Beach. In Orlando most of the crime takes place in certain areas. It seems that where there are larger concentrations of African-Americans there is a significantly larger amount of crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
And constantly scapegoating one's problems or shortcomings on a city is clear evidence of a negative agenda. You may see it as honesty, but I challenge you to go to another city's board and harp incessantly on said locations few downsides like they are epic problems (otherwise known as blowing things out of proportion), and see if people don't react the same way many of us do.

Oh and BTW, we punch way above our weight class in terms of entertainment options. But even still that's not the point. The point is you and some others like to pretend there is something wrong with Orlando for an urban area of well over a million people.

Plus it's not like somebody struggling here as a hotel housekeeper is going to move to Dallas or Raleigh and all of a sudden land a professional sector job, start going to art galleries, and be totally changed. But your delusional thoughts seem to suggest so, please say it ain't so?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM

18,558 posts, read 9,206,842 times
[quote)=Spring Hillian;36023974]There really isnt a lack of jobs, its a lack of people qualified to do a particular job. Another factor is the huge increases in population leave a lot of people jobless because of the competition for any particular job.
If there are 5 applicants who are qualified to do the job, 4 of them are going to be out of work when the hiring process is over.
20 million residents.
Persons over 65 years of age are less than 20% of the entire population. Springhillian-
Please see:

http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea...%20Budgets.pdf

quote: Nationally, the average income of retiree households is 75.5% of that of all households.
Florida’s seniors, however, are relatively more affluent. In Florida, the average income of households headed by seniors is 85.0% of that of all households.

The article states they may very well pay more home taxes as they have more expensive homes, but do not pay the sales taxes etc and only place they spend more money is on " medical"

ALSO SEE:
Retirees driving Florida population resurgence | HeraldTribune.com

quote( The state's 65-and-older population grew 4.5 percent according to new figures released today, faster than any other age group.
The data show that the aftermath of the Great Recession has left Florida more heavily dependent on retirees for growth. Seniors only accounted for 16 percent of the state's population increase from 2000 to 2010, compared with 64 percent last year)

quote (((Florida may be settling back into a more typical growth pattern, with seniors leading the way and the younger workforce following slowly behind as the expanding retiree pool creates more service sector jobs.)))

whoopee... finally.
Older Americans 2012: Key Indicators of Well-Being
  • n 2010, 40 million people age 65 and over lived in the United States, accounting for 13 percent of the total population. The older population grew from 3 million in 1900 to 40 million in 2010. The oldest-old population (those age 85 and over) grew from just over 100,000 in 1900 to 5.5 million in 2010.
  • The “Baby Boomers” (those born between 1946 and 1964) started turning 65 in 2011, and the number of older people will increase dramatically during the 2010–2030 period. The older population in 2030 is projected to be twice as large as their counterparts in 2000, growing from Trends in Population Growth

• Florida is a large and diverse state with over 17 million residents and host to many elderly persons, immigrants, and national and international visitors. The state has experienced tremendous population growth in the last several decades. The population in Florida has increased by 134.6% from 1970 to 2000. The 1990s was the third consecutive decade in which Florida’s population grew by approximately 3 million residents. Florida currently ranks fourth among the fifty states in population and continues to be one of the most rapidly growing states in the nation.
  • SOOO- why are people leaving Florida?

• With a population of 18.8 million according to the 2010 census, Florida is the most populous state in the Southeastern United States, and the second-most populous state in the south behind Texas. It contains the highest percentage of people over 65 (17.3%), and the 8th fewest people under 18 (21.9%).

Last edited by tinytrump; 08-10-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM

"We close by noting that Florida’s fiscal advantage from retirees exceeds that of most other
states,
where more revenue comes from the income tax. In fact, most states that have no income tax are able to substitute revenue from carbon exports, oil or coal. Florida is able to substitute revenue from retirees. Though EDR’s long-run projections implicitly include the effects of retirees, it could be useful to break out the retiree implications of long-run budget projections. In that could be
included how they will be spread across Florida, how they can be welcomed into their communities
and helped to better health and social interactions"

So this report says that retiree's are good for our state as they do make a large financial contribution to the states economy. The difference is sales taxes 65+ pay is less than $150.00

i still dont see where retirees are a hindrance to our economy as they pay taxes here for a year but arent actually here a year since many, if not most, retirees are snowbirds. I pay 2 taxes directly to FL.
My real estate tax and my sales tax. So do retirees. There are many hidden taxes we all pay.
Gasoline, utilities, etc. We all pay it.

QUOTE=tinytrump;36025210][quote)=Spring Hillian;36023974]There really isnt a lack of jobs, its a lack of people qualified to do a particular job. Another factor is the huge increases in population leave a lot of people jobless because of the competition for any particular job.

20 million residents.

Persons over 65 years of age are less than 20% of the entire population.

23,000 houses being sold each month in FL. Plus 1000 condo sales.

Average Annual Wage$43,211 for Floridian

As to the question: what do you want Florida to be for you?

I think the answer from the majority of the states inbound migration would say
1. A decent job.
2. A home to live in.
3. A pleasant place to raise my family.
4. A variety of options on how to obtain what I want.[/quote]

Please see:

http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea...%20Budgets.pdf

quote: Nationally, the average income of retiree households is 75.5% of that of all households.
Florida’s seniors, however, are relatively more affluent. In Florida, the average income of households headed by seniors is 85.0% of that of all households.

The article states they may very well pay more home taxes as they have more expensive homes, but do not pay the sales taxes etc and only place they spend more money is on " medical"
[/quote]

Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 PM

sorry Spring Hillian--sometimes I have to close before I finish posting- my bad- pot was burning on stove-

Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 PM

I think the question is " who " is leaving Florida? as in age group etc?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:20 PM

433 posts, read 778,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Something going here that does not happen anywhere else, eh?

Culture?? Explain please.

Most everyone you will meet here is from some place else. Sure there are a lot of people born here but their parents are for the most part from somewhere else.
Ive explained it in 2 long posts that i feel addresses it. Many warned me of this before i came here but i didnt get it. Now i do but would rather not dwell on it. You take the good with the bad. Overall orlando can be a very nice place to live and if u look hard enough you can meet good people.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think the question is " who " is leaving Florida? as in age group etc?
excellent question Tiny. Read this article for the answer.
New York

Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Ive explained it in 2 long posts that i feel addresses it. Many warned me of this before i came here but i didnt get it. Now i do but would rather not dwell on it. You take the good with the bad. Overall orlando can be a very nice place to live and if u look hard enough you can meet good people.
Well, I think you have a lot to learn about people and inter-personal actions.

Your expectations are beyond what reality is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando