U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,851,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Ive explained it in 2 long posts that i feel addresses it. Many warned me of this before i came here but i didnt get it. Now i do but would rather not dwell on it. You take the good with the bad. Overall orlando can be a very nice place to live and if u look hard enough you can meet good people.
Fact is, you shouldn't have to look hard ....

Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,769,203 times
i think some places are definitely better than others. but after living in both FL and NC, i totally see a difference, like leftee and sean stated.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM

18,909 posts, read 9,494,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
excellent question Tiny. Read this article for the answer.
New York
the new yorkers have been coming since I was at least ten and watched them every winter have a blast in south beach. My dad ran 2 hotels during the seasons and we had an apt on the 2nd floor overlooking the street facing the beach (ahh those were the days) - the population of the baby-boomers is about to spike in the next 2 to 5 yrs. are they coming here? My take was that the younger generation looking for better jobs was leaving Florida. NOW all that being said, we just went through a bad season with the housing boom etc so let see how it plays out after it gets just a bit more normal.

Last edited by tinytrump; 08-10-2014 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM

782 posts, read 856,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i think some places are definitely better than others. but after living in both FL and NC, i totally see a difference, like leftee and sean stated.
Depending on the part of NC, I agree. I have family in Asheville, Rocky Mount, Henderson, and Raleigh. You'd have to pay me seven figures before I would ever think of moving to any of those….so I could save up for a couple years and leave as soon as possible! Then again, if people feel that is the place for them, I hope they go and stay there so I don't have to interact with them.

I love my family, and love visiting them, but I hate leaving their home and going out in their "communities" and "cities". It just isn't my idea of quality of life.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 PM

you're in the minority lol. living in orlando and would not want to live in asheville or raleigh... all good, not every place is for everybody.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
you're in the minority lol. living in orlando and would not want to live in asheville or raleigh... all good, not every place is for everybody.
Well, part of it is we're a bi-racial couple, and that gives us less than polite service (to put it mildly) when we have stayed at hotels or gone to restaurants. We don't go to church, which is a mark against us outside of the cities. Watching my family deal with the snow in Asheville every year is like my own idea of hell. In the past few years, family closer to the coast have dealt with some pretty miserable mega storms and the problems that go with them (which is far worse than what we've experienced down here). My family in the Raleigh area doesn't go in the city much if they can avoid it because they talk about how crime-ridden it is, and may or may not feel the need to carry when they go out for a sense of security. The summers I've spent down around there involves sitting around at home because, in their own words, there isn't anything to do aside from go to the Outer Banks if you can afford a beach house rental. (And traffic down there on a Sunday afternoon. Zoinks!) There is some wonderful BBQ down there, and we have found one Mexican restaurant that isn't bad, but everything else is mediocre. There's also not good options in the places I've listed (except for Asheville) for public schooling.

Now there are benefits to that area. If you really want to "get away from it all", and set up on a cheap piece of land with a garden and hunt your own food, that's much more feasible down there than it is here. And I'll be the first to admit that fresh venison sausage is ah-maze-ing!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Raleigh and Asheville especially, in my opinion, is much more tolerant as far as race goes, than most areas of FL. My 2 cents. Especially Asheville.

I lived in Asheville, cant really say I know what they are talking about when they say they are "dealing with snow." LOL. Most ppl love it there and they dont get it often, so that's weird that they say that lol.

Crime in Raleigh- sure there's some. Its a decent sized city, but I dont know about feeling the need to carry a weapon when going there. Do they visit you in Orlando? Hahaha. Seems like they'd avoid Orlando like the plague if they think Raleigh is bad lol!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Raleigh and Asheville especially, in my opinion, is much more tolerant as far as race goes, than most areas of FL. My 2 cents. Especially Asheville.

I lived in Asheville, cant really say I know what they are talking about when they say they are "dealing with snow." LOL. Most ppl love it there and they dont get it often, so that's weird that they say that lol.

Crime in Raleigh- sure there's some. Its a decent sized city, but I dont know about feeling the need to carry a weapon when going there. Do they visit you in Orlando? Hahaha. Seems like they'd avoid Orlando like the plague if they think Raleigh is bad lol!
The family I've got in Asheville moved there from SW Florida for a career advancement, and loved the first snowfall they had. And then they were okay with the second one. By the time the third one rolled around and they were driving on roads that were covered in ice to get into the office because the job opened even though the schools were closed, the swearing started. At the time, I was up in DC and had been through Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse a few years before, so I had to laugh at them, but also was determined not to visit them in the winter. They only got about 6" of snow the whole winter, but if you don't have the equipment to deal with it, that can be worse than a foot, supposedly. Then again, the only good use for snow is in a cone with artificially flavored technicolor syrup!

For the ones who worry about the crime in Raleigh, they won't travel any farther south because they fear the heat.

FWIW, I didn't think that crime in Raleigh was all that as long as you use common sense about where you go and where you don't. Then again, I don't find the crime in Orlando to be all that bad… but that's from the perspective of living in the less desirable parts of D(eath) C(ity) for a few years.

I could theoretically deal with the snow and the bad weather. I could deal with the "crime" in that area. I could probably find a place where religion and race weren't two strikes against us. But the lack of things to do? That's really the deal-breaker for me. But I do know that there are people who absolutely crave that, so I do hope that things stay as they are up there for those people.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 PM

love the 4 seasons and occasional snow in AVL. just got back from there, came back to Orlando and realize how nice it is up there, especially when you have a family.

i like the activities the area has to offer. i'd miss the beach and the occassional trip to disney, etc. most of all i'd miss all the family i have here in FL, but they would totally understand if we decided to go back to WNC, many of them would like to themselves!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 PM

433 posts, read 786,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, I think you have a lot to learn about people and inter-personal actions.

Your expectations are beyond what reality is.
I just expected the people here to be at least equal to people everywhere else when it comes to being descent human beings. A surface level of politeness doesnt make up for the complete lack of personalities here and many others feel the same way. The only ones fooled by the fake pleasantries are the tourists. A lot of people are extremely self centered selfish shallow and ignorant in this state and thats the biggest reason people gave me on why they move away. That and the wages here.

If u dont notice this stuff then you either have lived here all your life or dont get out much.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-10-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando