U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 AM

782 posts, read 856,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I just expected the people here to be at least equal to people everywhere else when it comes to being descent human beings. A surface level of politeness doesnt make up for the complete lack of personalities here and many others feel the same way. The only ones fooled by the fake pleasantries are the tourists. A lot of people are extremely self centered selfish shallow and ignorant in this state and thats the biggest reason people gave me on why they move away. That and the wages here.

If u dont notice this stuff then you either have lived here all your life or dont get out much.
I've lived in six states, spent extended time (weeks on end) in another five, and visited another thirteen (plus one territory) for a few days here and a few days here, and what you're describing is pretty consistent in the U.S. The only difference is *how* this behavior expresses itself, not the type of people. Some places don't even bother with the fake pleasantries and show themselves outright as selfish, shallow, and ignorant, for instance.

That said, no matter where you go, once the honeymoon phase of being in love with a new place has worn out, you will find decent people if that's the kind of people YOU attract into your life or you will find people who aren't decent if that's the kind of people YOU attract into your life (with "you" being the greater you, not directed at any individual). If you're not finding them…. well…. perhaps some introspection as to why you are unable to find them might be worthwhile. Is it the kind of socioeconomic status you are trying to maintain? Is it the kind of religious or a-religious people you are affiliating with? Is it the type of people who share common interests with you that have a certain personality type? Is it a age/race/gender/sexual orientation trait?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 11,590,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the new yorkers have been coming since I was at least ten and watched them every winter have a blast in south beach. My dad ran 2 hotels during the seasons and we had an apt on the 2nd floor overlooking the street facing the beach (ahh those were the days) - the population of the baby-boomers is about to spike in the next 2 to 5 yrs. are they coming here? My take was that the younger generation looking for better jobs was leaving Florida. NOW all that being said, we just went through a bad season with the housing boom etc so let see how it plays out after it gets just a bit more normal.

Time will tell but yes, nationally, things are improving. Money is being spent.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
you're in the minority lol. living in orlando and would not want to live in asheville or raleigh... all good, not every place is for everybody.
What minority? 3 people on CD who think its the best thing since sliced bread does not make a majority.

You said jobs pay more there, yet.......

Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I just expected the people here to be at least equal to people everywhere else when it comes to being descent human beings. A surface level of politeness doesnt make up for the complete lack of personalities here and many others feel the same way. The only ones fooled by the fake pleasantries are the tourists. A lot of people are extremely self centered selfish shallow and ignorant in this state and thats the biggest reason people gave me on why they move away. That and the wages here.

If u dont notice this stuff then you either have lived here all your life or dont get out much.
Ive been in Fl 25+ years. I also served in the military and I grew up in NYC. Those places exposed me to people from all over the country and the world. Not all of them were people I would consider as a friend, a lot of them I hardly considered as normal and that includes people from the same place as another.

If I was to invite all of them to a party and put them together in a ballroom there would be discourse among a few of them after they got to meet each other. Not everybody I know would see eye to eye with everybody else I know. That's people. That's individuality. All of them are or were good friends of mine though. I learned to accept variations in thinking and situations that people came from. I never sought out people from a certain set of requirements.

Having had the opportunity to meet and know people from all walks of life has made me a better person.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,851,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What minority? 3 people on CD who think its the best thing since sliced bread does not make a majority.

You said jobs pay more there, yet.......
We don't need a majority, no more than you do when you post on other issues. Comsense and I have lived in both places (NC/GA/SC); you have not unless you have not told us everything. Visiting is NOT the same as experiencing life day-to-day in a place. I'm sure there are millions of people with visit Orlando every year that would never live there for whatever reason.

That's enough for me ...

Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
We don't need a majority, no more than you do when you post on other issues. Comsense and I have lived in both places (NC/GA/SC); you have not unless you have not told us everything. Visiting is NOT the same as experiencing life day-to-day in a place. I'm sure there are millions of people with visit Orlando every year that would never live there for whatever reason.

That's enough for me ...
That's true. I never lived there. Funny thing. I was almost born in Augusta Georgia. Long story.
Anyway, I agree that living some place day tlo day is not the same as visiting a place.
If you like the mid atlantic states and the offerings then more power to you. Enjoy it.
Me? I prefer Florida.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,896,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There really isnt a lack of jobs, its a lack of people qualified to do a particular job. Another factor is the huge increases in population leave a lot of people jobless because of the competition for any particular job.
This;

There are plenty of jobs here in FL. My main issues lie within the wages offered for professional jobs here, versus other areas with similar costs of living.
The complaint about there not "being jobs" in FL in general comes from people with little to no education/professional background who think they deserve more than a min wage job for working at places like Wal-Mart. This is actually a national trend, emphasizing the laziness of my generation. It's not just Orlando/FL.
Orlando/FL merely suffers from extremely poor wages (check the statistics. And not average overall wages, but average wages within single professions.)
I had no issues landing a decent job within my field, and there are MANY openings for better positions once I attain the required credentials (P.E. license, experience, etc.)
My sister had no problems at all landing a job after earning her degree, despite having NO WORK experience aside from on-campus college jobs. She moved in order to earn a significantly higher wage working for the same company.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM

429 posts, read 897,190 times
this is a really long thread to try to catch up on after a weekend, lol.

I'll put in my 2 cents, I really enjoy Orlando, been here for ~5 years and basically my only thought to move would be work related. Yes, I found work easily in IT, but as you become (or want to) move up higher, there are less jobs and less pay it seems.

I've made threads recently regarding this and that would be the only reason we'd leave is for job opportunities.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 AM

214 posts, read 621,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
... loved the first snowfall they had. And then they were okay with the second one. By the time the third one rolled around and they were driving on roads that were covered in ice to get into the office because the job opened even though the schools were closed, the swearing started. ...
I could theoretically deal with the snow and the bad weather. I could deal with the "crime" in that area. ... But the lack of things to do? That's really the deal-breaker for me.
Wow Jul, that speaks to my heart. Before I attached the funny story here, one of the main reason I have been looking to leave central OH was due to absolute 0 things to do here. We got 6 months nice weather here, but in the other 6 months the kids and adults are fully confined to in-buildings, and only if the icy road co-operate. There are weeks of no sunshine, rain, months of snow/icy road that we just don't bother to go out. Not mentioning tons of flu/sickness running around non-stop. Dr blamed winter sickness on not enough outdoor activities and sunshine, and some blame on dryness of air (10% humidity) that inflame the respiratory system, etc. Did I tell you how many YEARS of sleep we lost on the children waking up in night of sickness?

Even during best weather times, when thinking about vacation, every human soul in central OH would have to travel far distance. So during bad times, stuck at home or travel far far south. During good times, we also have to travel far, with shortest distance 5 hrs to pristine lakes in Michigan, 6 hrs to Chicago, 7 hours to Toronto, etc.

Guys, Enjoy the joke! At least now you know why people are moving to Florida!

===============================================
Diary of an Indian Immigrant to Canada

Aug. 12 Moved to our new home in Canada. I am so excited. It's so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see them with snow covering them.

Oct. 14 Canada -- it is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves have turned all colours and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful countryside and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animals on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here!

Nov. 11 Remembrance Day. Deer season starts soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it snows soon. I love it here!

Dec. 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shovelled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won). When the snow plough came by we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Canada!

Dec. 12 More snow last night. The snow plough did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

Dec. 19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. It's beautiful here but I'm exhausted from shovelling. Fxxking snow plough.

Dec. 22 More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands and a sore back from shovelling. I think the snow plough hides around the corner until I'm done shovelling the driveway. Asx hole.

Dec. 25 Merry F...ing Christmas! More frigging snow. If I ever get my hands on the sonovabitch who drives the snow plough, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the fxxking ice.

Dec. 27 More white **** last night. Been inside for three days now except for shovelling out the driveway after that snow plough goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, the car's stuck in a mountain of white **** and it's so frigging cold. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the **** again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

Dec. 28 That fxxking weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of the **** this time. At this rate it won't melt before summer. The snow plough got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to my door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him that I had already broken six shovels shovelling out all the **** he had pushed into my driveway, I damn near broke my last one over his fxxking head.

Jan. 4 Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on my way back a damned deer ran in front of the car. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those fxxking beasts should be killed. The bastards are everywhere. Wish the hunters had exterminated them all last November.

May 3 Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusted out from all that fxxking salt they put all over the roads.

May 10 Moved to Florida. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever want to live in such a God forsaken place as Canada!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 AM

214 posts, read 621,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
We moved from Maryland to Windermere in April for the same list of reasons that you have....

Had we to do it all over again, we would…

"Compared with where Arcenal352 lives, we get depressingly little afternoon rain here "
Jul, sorry if this is not the appropriate title.

Did you spend time in looking for great schools in Orlando? I think Windermere and Winter Park are the only 2 with all elementary~High rated 8 and above by GreatSchools.org. It is so difficult to find great schools in Florida without having to move again for schools later.

And based on your reply, it seems like Windermere area have a lot less rain that greater Orlando area? I would be very surprised. At least looking through Weather.com, I see that they are compatible.

During the summer months so far, does the rain come and go (heavy down pour over in 2 hrs), or is it like drizzle and grey for the whole day?

Average Weather for Orlando, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Windermere, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Thanks!
Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando