Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

Ive been living in Orlando for a few years now and thought id answer this.

I am a single guy in his 30s dating and so my perspective is a bit different than a family with 3 kids but i will come at it from your point of view.

I'm actually thinking of moving away maybe even outside of Florida. When you first move here it's paradise. Good weather year round, you CAN meet friends although they are not really true friends. They are friends as long as they are sharing your situation and you bring them advantages only.

I will start with the good stuff:

1) The weather is great most of the year. The two worst parts of the year is when it first becomes summer and your body isn't adjusted. The other part to me is mid fall where you just get really tired of the humid hot weather and it's still humid and 95 degree's in October. Other than that you can't have better weather year round except maybe a place like Cali or Hawaii.

2) While it CAN be hard to meet like minded people that you want to be around if you apply yourself you can easily have a temporary circle of friends, much easier than in most parts of the country. This is due to many factors such as southern culture, the amount of people from other places that move here, the amount of ways to meet people down here. With so many people coming and going there are always new people to meet.

3) There is always something cool to do here, it's incredible

4) There is a lot of very great area's to live in Orlando that is away from the tourist area's and that are relatively peaceful but a short drive from anywhere you need to go including the beach (under an hour drive)

5) Orlando has stuff that other cities just don't and after living here living anywhere else is going to be an adjustment. With all the theme parks and other unique things to do because of that scene it just takes entertainment a notch up. There are many other things to do besides any of that stuff too.

6) Orlando feels like a smaller place even though it's a city. It's perfect for someone who wants big city amenities (even better than many big cities) and smaller town living. Just perfect for that.

7) With the economy getting better Florida is starting to really take off, the pay may not be as good but there is lots of employers hiring.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways the most common issues that may come up include:

1) Lower wages

2) Hard to find a targeted nitch job with higher wages even in comparison to other area's of Florida. Florida is already kind of bad for finding a good targeted job with fair wages and Orlando is towards the bottom in a state that is towards the bottom on that stuff. The better choices for number and variety of jobs are Jax, Tampa or South Florida.

3) Crazy and random drivers. (This is true in a lot of area's of Florida and not just in Orlando). Your basically taking an over average amount of real old retired people who should be off the road and meshing them with kids who think they are race car drivers and then tourists who don't know their way around. Because of this wild mix of people and driving styles it can cause issues. Especially when you consider that often there more cars on the road than lanes and things can be congested but not enough to control the traffic flow -- so it makes the driving worse than even a place like New York where everyone seems to be on the same page and forced to drive the same way. No one is on the same page on the roads in Florida. No one. It's like the wild west on the roads.

4) In fact the driving (and this site even) are reflective of the no one on the same page thing. In florida there is always someone on the same page as you somewhere but there are a bunch of people who arn't. Everyone marches to their own drum and for this reason it CAN be hard to make real friends. Mix that in with a culture where many people think they are from Southern California but lack the intelligence to pull it off and people can be extremely frustrating to deal with here. It's really a shame that a place so great has so many trashy fake ignorant stuck up people. (yes they are all these things at once). A lot of the people down here will simply blow your mind -- It's too bad.

A place like New york gets a bad rap for it's people but i actually find that "on average" new yorkers have more of a soul, are more real, less petty and just care more for other people. Yes it's true. Can they be obnoxious? Hell yeah but it's whats on the inside that counts. A lot of people down here are way better on the outside than the inside -- but they are good at hiding that fact and seem ignorant to it.

I will say that most people i use to ask that same question of (why did you move out of Florida) would say that it was the people, they just couldn't stand them any longer. It was too much for them over the long run. People just have no respect for one another down here at all. There are plenty of people out there and they find those people they feel mix with them and everyone else could get a bullet to the head for all they care and they wont even admit it. So just be ready for that part, Ive learned to just accept it.

5) I hear the schools are pretty bad, although there is plenty of selections to choose from.

6) There are a lot of poor uneducated people who don't have the money to live here. They try to find "creative" ways to make money. I will leave it at that.

*In the end you will probably like it here, as long as you have a good situation with income set up you will enjoy it despite the flaws. There's plenty of good area's to live in and if you have the money coming in you will be fine. Even despite all the bad things i mentioned i'm still here and that speaks volumes to how great this place is.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-08-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
many reasons i know of and i know a lot of ppl that moved to NC/SC from FL... heat/humidity, rat race, traffic/congestion, crime, flat terrain, the people, cost of living, poor economy, transient.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:01 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can name a few:

Also, Sunshine State? Think again. During the summer months (again, some 7 to 8 months of the year) at around 3PM, you will experience Doomsday; this phenomenon that occurs where the skies turn black and God unleashes oceans from the skies upon us. Every. Single. Day.

LOL. Literally...

Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
many reasons i know of and i know a lot of ppl that moved to NC/SC from FL... heat/humidity, rat race, traffic/congestion, crime, flat terrain, the people, cost of living, poor economy, transient.
Guess what. After all the halfbacks are there it will be a rate race, traffic congestion, crime, the people,. cost of living, transient there too...........

Old 08-08-2014, 04:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
^^^ its got a LONG way to go before it compares to here though. plus the people that move there are much happier people. believe me, FL attracts different folks than up there, and i'll leave it at that.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
I grew up in a mid-size city in the Deep South state.

Most people already touched on the big issues. There appears to be a lack of "professional" jobs outside of engineering, IT/computers, and healthcare, and when you finally get a job, you discover that they pay less than what's offered in other states. Then there is the weather...

I think the bigger issue for people who move here from other parts of the country is simply a lack of assimilation. Some are so busy trying to duplicate aspects of what they had at home that they miss out on the unique things that this area has to offer.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ its got a LONG way to go before it compares to here though. plus the people that move there are much happier people. believe me, FL attracts different folks than up there, and i'll leave it at that.
Your assumption that the people here or there are inherently different is ridiculous. You may perceive it that way but I think its just another way for your head to deal with the fact that you are here and there is so so much better. Keeps your dream alive. It didnt take too long for FL to get overcrowded. It will take less time to crowd up the carolina's. People are still bailing out of the NYC metro area. They are being priced out as their incomes cannot keep up with the financial demands put on them.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:18 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your assumption that the people here or there are inherently different is ridiculous.
Really ? So your assumption is that people are the same anywhere you live ? Guess that makes the community of maximum security prisoners at San Quentin the same as the community of missionaries that worked with Mother Teresa ... Comsense is right; there is a definite increase in civility in NC/SC/GA. C'mon up and see for yourself ..

Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It didnt take too long for FL to get overcrowded.
Aren't you one of the posters that brags how Florida has become the 3rd most populous state overtaking New York ? And now you say it's overcrowded ? Sounds a little bipolar to me ...

Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM

605 posts, read 711,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
It's really a shame that a place so great has so many trashy fake ignorant stuck up people. (yes they are all these things at once). A lot of the people down here will simply blow your mind -- It's too bad.
I guess I don't understand what this means in reality. Can you give me any kind of example of something that happened to you in real life that illustrates your point? What makes someone trashy, fake, ignorant and stuck up? What do they say to you? Like foul language? Like poor grammar? I am just not getting the picture here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando