Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

216 posts, read 913,009 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will be relocating from NH and my husband will be working at Lockheed Martin on Lake Underhill Road. We are looking at buying a home in Winter Springs, Oviedo or Lake Mary (those are the areas we have narrowed it to). School districts are extremely important, but also, the commute is important.

My question is, which of these three areas would make for the easiest and quickest commute to Lockheed? This is something a map can't quite help me with because I don't know traffic patterns, road conditions, shortcuts etc.

Also, if someone could give me a best guess on the time it would take to make the commute I would appreciate it very much! Thank you kindly in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Winter springs or Oviedo forget Lake Mary way too far. You can take the 417 to 408 and get off at rouse and that is right there near lockheed.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
Agreed with previous posters, stick to Oviedo and Winter Springs if you are concerned with commute time. The 417 isn't a heavily traffic'd road in Seminole county. He may hit a small slowdown around University BLvd. but nothing bad at all. from there he need only hop onto the 408 and take the Rouse Rd Exit that is 1/16th of a mile from lockheed's main entrance off Lake Underhill.

Depending on what parts of Oviedo you are in (access to 417) it should only take about 10 minutes.

Depending on what parts of Winter Springs, about 20 minutes.

Lake Mary is much farther North and a great area, but your looking at about a 35-45 minute drive on the 417, and the nice $2 toll over Lake Jessup each way. In my opinion not worth the drive if the previous two area's meet your needs.

Check out Tuskawilla area between Winter Springs and Oviedo, it is an absolutely gorgeous area with great schools.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM

21 posts, read 71,302 times
Default You should also look into Waterford Lakes

Did you ever take a look at the Waterford Lakes area? Your husband would be at work within 10 min. The schools are really great as well. My son goes to Waterford Elementary . Next to it is the Discovery Middle School. Check it out, everything is close by and it is a beautiful place to live. Good luck

Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM

85 posts, read 365,631 times
sounds like u have money. why not move to avalon park

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Default to Lockheed

the commute from Oviedo isnt too bad it is a straight shot down Alafaya to Lake Underhill. If the 417 --> 408 is close it has access close to Lockheed.
I would suggest looking at Waterford Lakes, Eastwood, Stoneybrook and Avalon Park as well. They are very nice areas with good schools. Some parts of Oviedo Im not a fan of... there are parts that are not on the "good" side of the tracks sort of speaking. tuskawilla is a nice area and pretty convenient to the 417 otherwise the backroads are tedious. hope that helps. feel free to ask any questions. Welcome to Florida when it happens.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Seminole has better schools.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,610 times
Nobody mentioned that the 417 is a toll rd. So expect to pay a few dollars a day each way to commute to Oviedo or Winter Springs.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 AM

973 posts, read 2,228,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Seminole has better schools.
A generalization, but I do agree. I've had enough friends teach in Orange county and Seminole county to tell me enough about it. However, there's a new high school within Avalon Park that is supposed to be decent.

It's worth sticking to Seminole county schools and property for the $2-4 per day in tolls. Also keep in mind that many Lockheed employees work at projects not on the Lockheed property. I work with quite a few Lockheed people in the UCF Research Park. I live in Oviedo and have commuted to the Lockheed building during rush hour. It took about 15 minutes from the time I got on the Red Bug Lake Road / 417 exit to the entrance of the Lockheed parking lot. It ended up being about a 25 minute commute with traffic around Oviedo factored in.

I agree with the previous post about the Tuskawilla area around Red Bug Lake Road - a nice area not as far as Winter Springs. There are plenty of nice areas in Winter Springs and Oviedo as well, so keep your options open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando