U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,786,908 times

Advertisements

From the report: According to U.S. Census data from 2000 to 2012, the population in Orlando’s city center grew the most of the largest five metro areas of Florida, increasing 34.2% over the period. Tampa’s city center had the second-fastest rate of population growth at 14.5%, followed by 14.2% in Miami and then 13.7% in Jacksonville.

Florida Retail Report: Orlando leads urbanization trends - Orlando Sentinel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 38,082,545 times
It's good to see people are maybe thinking of forgoing sprawl. That's a sizable percentage increase but don't see any census number indication of what the population numbers were in 2000 versus 2012. I would guess it has more to do with smaller numbers comparatively speaking when one sees an increase of 34%, particularly when Orlando's population of 249K is factored against much larger cities like Jacksonville (836K), Miami (413K) and Tampa (347K).

Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 AM

3,607 posts, read 6,555,281 times
It's amazing that even with the skyline explosion Miami has had, million dollar 1 bedroom condos in shinny monolithic high rises does not a thriving urban core make. Orlando really has something special going on downtown and once some more basic retail services locate themselves in the core, residential will increase by an even larger percentage. Perhaps all the sprawl surrounding downtown Orlando might actually be the driving force behind the change.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,813,620 times
It also helps that Orlando is landlocked city so their is less competition with coastal areas. Tampa has a nice downtown as well, but when you can choose to be on the water or downtown, the coast seems to win out.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 AM

It also helps that Orlando had a relatively low population in terms of downtown residents which more greatly influenced population growth rates. Other downtown areas in the state already had sizable populations prior, as well as larger populations in general. I would guess that Tampa's growth rate was about equal to Orlando's over the same time period if one looks at a numerical comparison.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,813,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It also helps that Orlando had a relatively low population in terms of downtown residents which more greatly influenced population growth rates. Other downtown areas in the state already had sizable populations prior, as well as larger populations in general. I would guess that Tampa's growth rate was about equal to Orlando's over the same time period if one looks at a numerical comparison.
I would doubt that. Not many people live in Downtown Tampa, unless you include Davis Island (I get the impression more people live in DT St. Pete than Tampa). There are apartments and condos going up all over Downtown Orlando. Just sheet numbers, I would guess Miami with Brickell Ave would have the highest number of new residents.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would doubt that. Not many people live in Downtown Tampa, unless you include Davis Island (I get the impression more people live in DT St. Pete than Tampa). There are apartments and condos going up all over Downtown Orlando. Just sheet numbers, I would guess Miami with Brickell Ave would have the highest number of new residents.
I cannot find any designations for either Orlando or Tampa as to what is considered "downtown" in terms of population count. There are also many new condo/apartment buildings in Downtown Tampa I noticed over the past weekend, though occupancy rates are a better measure versus physical presence in both instances. I seem to recall one of the existing major Orlando residential highrise projects was virtually empty at one point within the past couple of years.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,173,200 times
The best way to know the population of Downtowns or neighborhoods is to get access to the Census Block data. Census Blocks are more detailed than city, metro and state data.

Unfortunately, the Sentinel is referring to a report than was held at a private conference. So its hard for us or anyone in the Sentinel to even see the actual data without doing extra work (looking up Census Block maps, putting the CB numbers in American Factfinder, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando