Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM

19 posts, read 23,109 times

Advertisements

I appreciate any input! We lived in Winter Garden area for a year and liked the area. Son went to West Orange HS. Liked the staff there. He could slip back into the programming there easily (special ed). It would be "comfortable" for us and him.

Moved away for a year and a half.

Husband has a fantastic offer with Deloitte in Lake Mary. Would living behind WDW in Independence or Summerlake or similar areas along 535 be a commute longer than an hour during typical rush hours? Any estimates driving the speed limit??

If it's longer, what's an area further out that would be lower crime that's kept up looking? Unincorporated 2-5 acres would be nice. We've seen some bigger lots tucked in here and there but they are rare. Or HOA if we can't find that. Don't like HOA neighborhoods in general. Would like a larger lot than typical. (We want chickens). Eventually would be looking for around 350,000 maximum (preferably) 4 bed, 3 bath, 3,000 sq. foot aprox., single story. Seems like there's way more housing selection in Winter Garden area than in Lake Mary? Newer, nicer, closer to WDW.

I don't know the Lake Mary area at all...hesitate to move that way. Would rent for a year to start. I've heard it's nice there and low crime going back a long time. We won't drive on 4, we would take back roads. We hate 4! We don't mind if it's toll roads.

Husband is used to driving about an hour and a half to work one way now. But that's on highways 55-65 miles an hour all the way. Not very many stoplights/stop signs. He was only about 20 minutes in FL, that was nice. (he worked at disney and we lived close by).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You aren't going to find a HOA that will allow chickens.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There's less housing selection in Lake Mary because of the very high demand... plus it's pretty much built out now, and new residential construction is now more restricted in the surrounding areas of Seminole County. Your price point is also on the low side in that area for your criteria of a sparkly new 4/3 with 3000 square feet on a two to five acre lot. I would anticipate rush hour commutes to/from Winter Garden of 90 minutes to two hours if not utilizing I-4, not so much because of the secondary road aspect but because more will be using them when the I-4 widening project begins. If you can adjust your requirements downward a bit (mostly in terms of acreage, to less than one acre) you'll find a good number of options open up in places like Winter Springs, Chuluota or the more rural sections of northern Apopka which would make for a much better commute.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 23,109 times
Default 1 acre unincorporated or HOA?

Hi,

(I know HOAs don't allow chickens). I prefer the nice houses in HOAs, but the freedom of unincorporated. Online, the unincorporated houses are much older and more run-down it seems.

Do you have an idea if that 1 acre idea would be HOA or unincorporated housing? Mapquest is showing Winter Garden to Lake Mary in less than an hour on back roads. Is that because it's showing real time on weekends?

I really don't want a 15 year old house even. It kind of sounds like Lake Mary is similar to Grapevine in dfw TX...desirable location but built out with older housing. Lower crime.

Thanks for letting me know about the commute times!

Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Not a feasible commute imo unless he doesn't mind his previous timing. Construction is coming as Kyle alluded to

Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 PM

133 posts, read 277,518 times
You can get to Lake Mary from Winter Garden via 408 to 417, or via 429 to 414 to 15.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM

331 posts, read 1,051,957 times
I grew up in Deltona which is about 15-20 minutes east of Lake Mary, I lived in Independence for 3 years and made that commute many times to visit my parents, I could do the commute in about 55 minutes. Honestly, it is not something I would like to do during peak periods.....I don't know what the traffic is like on 535 as it has changed a lot since I lived there but, it could easily take 15 minutes to just get to the 429, then I would suggest taking that all the way to the 414 which is Maitland Blvd which has many office buildings and also a lot of traffic in the morning and afternoon....Then you would have to take I-4 and with construction starting it's going to be a nightmare. There are also 3-4 tolls in both directions which will add up quickly. If the money is that good and you REALLY want to stay in that area, and your husband does not mind a commute that on a good morning will take an hour then do it but I would explore something closer to Lake Mary....

Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx2O11xX View Post
You can get to Lake Mary from Winter Garden via 408 to 417, or via 429 to 414 to 15.
That depends on where in Lake Mary you are working. If it's right off of I4, that route makes no sense.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Splash View Post
Hi,

(I know HOAs don't allow chickens). I prefer the nice houses in HOAs, but the freedom of unincorporated. Online, the unincorporated houses are much older and more run-down it seems.

Do you have an idea if that 1 acre idea would be HOA or unincorporated housing? Mapquest is showing Winter Garden to Lake Mary in less than an hour on back roads. Is that because it's showing real time on weekends?

I really don't want a 15 year old house even. It kind of sounds like Lake Mary is similar to Grapevine in dfw TX...desirable location but built out with older housing. Lower crime.

Thanks for letting me know about the commute times!
You're kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth and will need to figure out which direction you're going in. HOAs will have nicer homes and upkeep (regardless of your new versus old issues) and non-HOAs regardless of age are pretty much always going to be not as well kept up, and typically feature several vehicles parked on the driveway/lawn, feature a consistent view of a junk-filled garage with the door always up along with all kinds of "yard art" and as an FYI I have never heard of an HOA with lot sizes that large (an acre or more). In terms of being less than an hour from Winter Garden to Lake Mary that would be because you were getting real time on a Sunday. Try it this morning around 8am and can guarantee it spikes dramatically, furthermore as mentioned the I-4 project will increase commutes on the secondary routes with commuters looking to avoid I-4. If you somehow can't get your head around a updated 10-15 year old home in the Lake Mary area and opt for new construction as mentioned, you're going to put your husband into a costly and very lengthy commute every day. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
FYI I have never heard of an HOA with lot sizes that large (an acre or more).
You've never heard of Heathrow Woods? I have several friends who live there, and can assure you that about half the homes sit on two acres, some sit on closer to three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando