Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:34 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
young professionals yes a trip be better and see if Orlando is what you are looking for, I always will say Miami first. I think once you have been there, you can tone down to other parts of FL . Orlando is cool, but still more townsy compared to the northern cities.
I agree, for someone who is looking for (and has experienced) a trendy/urban environment you're not going to find anywhere in Orlando that fits that category, despite what a few here might suggest. It's very "suburban" here for the most part and even the "trendy" areas aren't a match for your expectations. If you're set on Florida, places like Miami (or even to a lesser extent Fort Lauderdale) would be where you want to go. But do visit first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 AM

148 posts, read 339,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, for someone who is looking for (and has experienced) a trendy/urban environment you're not going to find anywhere in Orlando that fits that category, despite what a few here might suggest. It's very "suburban" here for the most part and even the "trendy" areas aren't a match for your expectations. If you're set on Florida, places like Miami (or even to a lesser extent Fort Lauderdale) would be where you want to go. But do visit first!
I agree with Kyle. You ladies may want to start your search at least as far south as Palm Beach county to Miami. Orlando in some way is still trying to find its identity away from the tourist traps/theme parks and IMO is a great place to live. But, if I was 15-20 years younger, I would probably prefer to live elsewhere.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I am mid 30's professional and I would say Orlando could meet your criteria. I have lived in Miami, Broward, DC, Boston and San Francisco. Orlando is not along the same level as DC, Boston and San Francisco, but it is in no way disappointing. I think South Florida, Central Florida and Tampa Bay are all great places for young professionals. Among the Florida cities it comes down to a matter of choice.

South Florida would be the most fast paced and diverse (some would disagree and say it's too heavily Latino and Caribbean but I disagree). Being the largest area of the state population wise it's probable also the biggest. There is ALWAYS something to do in SFL, but and this is a big BUT, it is expensive. SFL's trendy spots are very pricey, although women usually get great deals compared to men. The weather is also warmer year round, you're always close to the beach so you get much more of a tropical vibe in SFL.

Orlando scene is primarily around the DT area in neighborhoods such as Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Colonialtown, Ivanhoe Village, the Milk District, Mills/50, Audubon Park, Winter Park and College Park to a lesser extent. Orlando scene is more low key than SFL but it's also much more affordable. There always some type of professional mixer, charity event, arts event or festival going on. Also due to the mass tourism we get alot of concerts, shows and comedy acts that come through. The scene is fairly diverse and you will not feel out of place as a person of color, I never have. You can direct message me with more specific questions.

Tampa Bay is the only place I haven't actually lived but have spent much time in. The two hottest areas in TB are Soho/Hyde Park and downtown St. Pete. TB to me has the feel of a cross between SFL and CFL, however the prices are more Orlando than Miami. The only thing I do not like about TB is the extensive driving, if you go one place and it's not good, you may have to drive across the bay to find other options. Other areas in TB are Westshore and the beaches.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Yea don't listen to the naysayers because Orlando should even be compared to NYC or Cleveland which any smart,reasonable would understand even . Think Columbus Ohio which has some of the same characteristics but IMHO I would prefer here rather than there. Florida is lucky state because we have multiple metro areas located throughout the state of various sizes instead of one like Illinois(Chicago). Listen to Crane's Rooster he knows what he is talking about compared to some of these so called regular posters.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:00 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Yea don't listen to the naysayers because Orlando should even be compared to NYC or Cleveland which any smart,reasonable would understand even . Think Columbus Ohio which has some of the same characteristics but IMHO I would prefer here rather than there. Florida is lucky state because we have multiple metro areas located throughout the state of various sizes instead of one like Illinois(Chicago). Listen to Crane's Rooster he knows what he is talking about compared to some of these so called regular posters.
Really? Having lived in Washington DC, NYC and Philadelphia I suppose I don't have any comparisons to draw upon.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Really? Having lived in Washington DC, NYC and Philadelphia I suppose I don't have any comparisons to draw upon.
I still remember us debating whether or not Gainesville is a good place to retire. I remember your main arguing point was some article ranked it as a top retirement destination, which I called bull on and I think anyone who has spent some time in Gainesville would agree it definitely is not top 5 in the entire country in terms of retirement, so I question your city comparisons on how much is personal experience vs what you read from some generic article.

I also agree that Crane's post is well written.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Quote:
That is the biggest flaw because why are you comparing well established Northern cities to an up and coming sunbelt metro area. Those cities like I said shouldn't even be brought up in discussions concerning Orlando. I'm happy your well traveled and it seems like your cool person but don't say Orlando is bad compared to NYC because that is not a fair comparison. I read your posts all the time and you know you stuff around the area and I appreciate the insight you give people. I would rather you give Orlando a chance to grow its identity and build its economy to one day be a better city.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,714 times
Default Moving From San Pedro CA To Florida

Hello,
My wife and I are contemplating a move to Florida in the near future, I'm a Viet Nam vet, and wife and I have made a list of must haves:

1. City must be near a VA Hospital
2. Not be near Hurricane alley
3. Must not be in a sinkhole prone area
4. Maximum bang for the buck
5. A budget of $135,000.00 to $200,000.00
6. Be near water
7. Have a Pool and a Jacuzzi
8. 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ Baths
So far I'm interested in the Port Saint Lucie, West Palm Beach
Would love some input.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,515 times
Truthfully, if you require #2, #3, and #6 at the same time, it means that you've pretty much ruled out the entire state of Florida.

Are those items listed in order of importance?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shampen View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are contemplating a move to Florida in the near future, I'm a Viet Nam vet, and wife and I have made a list of must haves:

1. City must be near a VA Hospital
2. Not be near Hurricane alley
3. Must not be in a sinkhole prone area
4. Maximum bang for the buck
5. A budget of $135,000.00 to $200,000.00
6. Be near water
7. Have a Pool and a Jacuzzi
8. 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ Baths
So far I'm interested in the Port Saint Lucie, West Palm Beach
Would love some input.
Might want to look into Bradenton/Sarasota ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando