Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM

24 posts, read 44,030 times

Advertisements

Hello All. I am looking for any and all types of information. First, let me tell you about me. My name is Amy. My fiancee and I have been considering moving to Florida for a few years. We are currently in Central PA. I was born in Florida and have family in Orlando and Cocoa Beach. I was raised in Brooklyn, NY. We are an African American couple in our 30's. He has a 12 year old daughter that will be entering high school by the time we want to move out there. I am in social services and have my Bachelors in Pyschology and he works in a factory as a Forger.

We are looking for affordable neighborhoods, info on the job outlook, good high schools and whatever other info u may be able to provide. I currently make $40,000 a year and he's at about $30,000. We are paying $765 for a 2/1 townhouse. I understand that it may be more expensive there. How is transportation? I would love to live somewhere that has a city surburban feel with entertainment for the 30's crowd. We dont club hop anymore but love to here music and have a few drinks on the weekends. I am of Caribbean descent and would love some of that culture back in my life. PA has very little of that. Also, I wont lie our credit is not great. No renting issues but still not great. He also has a criminal history but its been 11 years. Any help would be huge. If u need me to give more info on something, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Tons of Caribbean immigrants in Orlando which is obvious since it is Florida but I think our salary will get you something decent. Look into Seminole County first since those have the best schools in the communities of Lake Mary, West Sanford, Casselberry, Longwood , Altamonte Springs and Oviedo. Then Look into the Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Maitland, and Lake Nona areas in Orange County.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:55 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
^^ I agree regarding Seminole County since you're looking for good high schools and probably some level of family friendly along with overall safety. Rentals are a good bit more expensive here and would count on at least $900-$1000 per month for a decent two bedroom apartment (townhomes even more). Public transit here is not very good at all so two cars would probably be a necessity. In terms of a Black Caribbean community you might check out the west side of Altamonte Springs (around Forest City). Parts of that area fall into the Lake Brantley High School district which is one of the better high schools in Seminole County/Orlando.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks you guys for the info. I will be looking into these areas. We just found out that his company has a location in Orlando. It would be awesome, if he could just transfer.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:21 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Just understand that housing will be a lot more expensive, especially in moderate to low-crime areas. Unless you're willing to hunt and hunt for a really good deal, it will be difficult to find a one bedroom for $765.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
Shaunta, have you considered buying a new Florida home as opposed to renting? There are all kinds of financing programs & cash incentives available to folks in your income level, so long as you're employed in the same general field in your new community.

I know of many lovely new developments in & around Osceola & Polk counties, in the general vicinity of Disney World, to the south of metropolitan Orlando, that have very affordable pricing aimed at younger first time buyers.

In many cases, you can buy for cheaper than what it would cost to rent, especially when you factor in the tax deduction on the loan interest. And then you have the long term potential for appreciation.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunta021 View Post
Hello All. I am looking for any and all types of information. First, let me tell you about me. My name is Amy. My fiancee and I have been considering moving to Florida for a few years. We are currently in Central PA. I was born in Florida and have family in Orlando and Cocoa Beach. I was raised in Brooklyn, NY. We are an African American couple in our 30's. He has a 12 year old daughter that will be entering high school by the time we want to move out there. I am in social services and have my Bachelors in Pyschology and he works in a factory as a Forger.

We are looking for affordable neighborhoods, info on the job outlook, good high schools and whatever other info u may be able to provide. I currently make $40,000 a year and he's at about $30,000. We are paying $765 for a 2/1 townhouse. I understand that it may be more expensive there. How is transportation? I would love to live somewhere that has a city surburban feel with entertainment for the 30's crowd. We dont club hop anymore but love to here music and have a few drinks on the weekends. I am of Caribbean descent and would love some of that culture back in my life. PA has very little of that. Also, I wont lie our credit is not great. No renting issues but still not great. He also has a criminal history but its been 11 years. Any help would be huge. If u need me to give more info on something, let me know.

You can find nice 2-bed condo-style apts in the Altamonte area for approx $800/mth. I just found quite a few, actually. Altamonte in general is nice, low-crime, and close to great schools.
$70k/year is a good household income for Orlando. You should live comfortably. When my wife and I purchased our home, we were at only about 60k.
My wife and I are both of Caribbean decent. Orlando is LOADED with Caribbeans. I am Guyanese, she is from St-Martin/Anguilla. Heavy HEAVY Caribbean population in several areas, including loads of caribbean grocery stores, and even a few great street vendors.

Just keep in mind, transportation in most parts of Orlando is pretty terrible. This is not NYC, nor is it Central PA. Our public transportation, while improving, is still very primitive. Get 2 cars.
Orlando is also becoming more and more urban. Stay in Seminole County if you want the suburban lifestyle while keeping up with the cultural aspects you are seeking.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM

I definitly wasnt expecting to pay $765 for rent. I know that it's more expensive than Central PA. Thanks for all the info. I will be looking into these areas.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 PM

15 posts, read 31,755 times
The best in orlando is Avalon Park. It has the best of school , very nice affordable housing and it has much of different culture here. We have the best shopping also in waterford lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando