Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times

Advertisements

25 reasons why people argue about stupid things on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Where are they going to relocate all of the hoodlums ?
I'll assume Pine Hills and OakRidge? As if those two areas aren't bad enough. The more people are forced out of Parramore, the worst Pine Hills gets.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM

305 posts, read 416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Central Florida is not for everybody and Tampa Bay's not for everybody. Luckily this is America where you are free to live wherever you like and leave where you dislike.
Yeah, if you actually have some extra $$$ in the bank and a job waiting for you in the new city youre moving to, if not? Nope, youre stuck where youre at, the last year you could just pack up and move was like the mid 2000's as far as I know, some people say even before then. "Just move" isnt even a realistic phrase nowadays. America isnt too free anymore in that aspect thats for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This is such a tragic/pathetic list lol.

Talking about Daytona and driving on the beach? Ew, no thanks. That's actually a negative in my book...Besides, that's not even Orlando anyway.
Talking about Caneveral coast....agagin, not Orlando..
A soccer team? lol, girl, please. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

I would take Tampa Bay on it's worst day over Orlando on it's best. No offense, Orlando, but you're not better than Tampa. Nice try, tho. lol.

and I say this with zero biased as I do not live in either area nor do I have family or friends in either area. Strictly based off my own observation having visited both areas many times.
I consider it a good thing the Miami resident thinks Orlando sucks and Tampa is better. I wouldnt want to live anywhere a Miamian would dwell... Yes, keep all the South Floridans in South Florida and Tampa... Why are Tampa people lurking on the Orlando forum anyways?

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 12-10-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
Orlando has light rail! That's it! No other advantage.
People that go to the Howl o scream and Haloween horror nights say, Hands down, Howl O Scream is scarier!
When comparing downtowns, the article's comparison is Tampa Bay and Central Fl, so don't forgets St Pete's Downtown.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM

536 posts, read 852,377 times
If you want a nice new home in Florida for an extremely attractive price AND you're concerned about insurance costs & the possible negative impact of severe hurricanes...I have found that the southern metropolitan areas of Orlando (Kissimmee, Champions Gate, Celebration, Osceola County, & some of the more rural areas of adjacent Polk County) offer a very attractive housing alternative to the Tampa Bay area. There are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods with new construction to be found, & you might save upwards of $1,700 a year alone on your home owner's insurance, versus comparable property at either coast. And the price per square foot is cheaper. I live on Lake Toho in Kissimmee, & I can be in either Tampa or Port Canaveral within about 75 minutes, if I want to take my wife out for a nice dinner. I'd be happy to point out excellent examples to anyone interested. There's pros & cons to every area.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 PM

138 posts, read 153,204 times
Arrow Orlando beats Tampa hands down!!!

Top Reasons why Orlando beats Tampa:

Orlando:
.Vacation Mecca of the world
.Disney World and related attractions
.Younger and more professional population
.More diverse than Tampa
.Internationally known
.Growing faster with a more diversified economy
.More Progressive than Tampa
.Cleaner/Newer
.Active Downtown
.Drive to the beach about the same as Tampa
.Endless lakes and parks for water sports
.New medical/research school
.Better public schools
.UCF

Tampa:
.World's largest Confederate flag
.Older population
.Culture-less,Pale Mid-westeners ruining the sunset
.More Rednecky/Southern feel
.Most of the City core looks rundown
.Dead Downtown
.Sinkholes
.Beaches 45 minutes to an hour away
.Hometown of Pam "Blondy"

Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Yeah, if you actually have some extra $$$ in the bank and a job waiting for you in the new city youre moving to, if not? Nope, youre stuck where youre at, the last year you could just pack up and move was like the mid 2000's as far as I know, some people say even before then. "Just move" isnt even a realistic phrase nowadays. America isnt too free anymore in that aspect thats for sure...

I consider it a good thing the Miami resident thinks Orlando sucks and Tampa is better. I wouldnt want to live anywhere a Miamian would dwell... Yes, keep all the South Floridans in South Florida and Tampa... Why are Tampa people lurking on the Orlando forum anyways?
The Orlando folks are in Tampa fourms or have been for a long time as well- I moved to Tampa from SFL and transferred to Orlando. Tampabay area was the most boring city I have ever lived ( 7 yrs)-and I have been- not because of the city - but the shut in type people. and anyone who doesn't like S-FL I would question if they are natives or transplants?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Top Reasons why Orlando beats Tampa:

Orlando:
.Vacation Mecca of the world
.Disney World and related attractions
.Younger and more professional population
.More diverse than Tampa
.Internationally known
.Growing faster with a more diversified economy
.More Progressive than Tampa
.Cleaner/Newer
.Active Downtown
.Drive to the beach about the same as Tampa
.Endless lakes and parks for water sports
.New medical/research school
.Better public schools
.UCF

The first two reasons, IMO, are actually part of the cons of living here. I can go into detail, but I won't, as I AM SURE that other locals already know.
Beaches/Water? St-Pete and Clearwater blow anything near Orlando out of the water.
I'll agree with you on being more progressive, cleaner and newer.
Tampa has had a medical/research school for quite some time.
UCF? I guess... I went there, briefly, but liked USF MUCH better. UCF feels like it is forcing growth, and as such, it is just too damned crowded.

Tampa:
.World's largest Confederate flag
.Older population
.Culture-less,Pale Mid-westeners ruining the sunset
.More Rednecky/Southern feel
.Most of the City core looks rundown
.Dead Downtown
.Sinkholes
.Beaches 45 minutes to an hour away
.Hometown of Pam "Blondy"

I agree with the confederate flag... LOL... especially its location. However, Orlando does have "The Eyesore on I4."
How is it any less culturally-diverse than Orlando? Both are very similar.
To me, Orlando has a MUCH more rednecky/southern feel... Not the city core, per say, but virtually all of Lake County, most of Osceola County, and all of Volusia County. I did not see nearly as much of that in the Greater Tampa area.
The city core is more business-oriented than Orlando's. Orlando thrives on condos and upscale living, which results in a concentration of bargoers in the city core. Tampa attracts more office workers in business suits, and as such, downtown features more lunch locales than bars and clubs.
Downtown Tampa DOES have the port area, which is VERY nice.
Not too far down, Downtown St-Pete, which is beyond magnificent -- a classier, if somewhat smaller version of South Beach.
Tampa has a much better expressway system.
Tampa has the Hillsborough river cutting right through it. Talk about water sports? Orlando's lakes can't compare to the bay. At all.

I like both cities. I have lived in Orlando for 12 years. I am on and off with going to school at USF, I worked in Land O Lakes near Tampa for a year until the firm opened an office in Orlando... Overall, I just enjoy Tampa much more.

P.S., Orlando's growth does have its cons: It is slowly turning into Miami

Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Really 275 or Veterans then Dale Mabry--?? I was shocked after 25 yrs I returned to find the same street still there untouched-- they fixed some stuff during the super bowl--but talk about grid lock- It takes 1 hr from North Dale to Kennedy- approx. 8 miles

Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

Really 275 or Veterans then Dale Mabry--?? I was shocked after 25 yrs I returned to find the same street still there untouched-- they fixed some stuff during the super bowl--but talk about grid lock- It takes 1 hr from North Dale to Kennedy- approx. 8 miles
Takes me over an hour to get from the top of 414 in Apopka to 434 in Longwood using Toll-414 to SR414 to I-4... 15 miles... using a toll road and an interstate heading AWAY from Orlando... That's pretty bad.

Yes, I-275 stinks... But at least it serves as an alternative to I-75... As does the Veterans...
There are NO alternate expressways to I-4... Unless you count 429 and 417, both of which are way too far to be considered.
That new toll road from I-4 to downtown Tampa to Brandon is surprisingly effective too.
The only expressway I deem effective in Orlando is the 408... Other than its poorly-designed interchange with I-4... Two major 8-lane expressways crossing and you only offer short, one-lane ramps? Not only are they mind-numbingly dangerous, they constantly create gridlocks on I-4. Who designed that mess? And what's with the two-lane ramp looking thing downtown coming from East Orlando that suddenly stops in mid-air?
Other than that, the 408 is fantastic.

By the way, I consider Colonial Dr. to be just as bad as Dale Mabry/Kennedy

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-11-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando