Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 13,249 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just have a few questions about about Sanford and surrounding areas. My family and I are strongly considering moving to Sanford because of a job that has been offered to me. I am a 25 year old Certified RV Service Technician with two years experience. The job offer is at an RV place just off of Interstate 4 in Sanford, I have been offered $20 an hour plus bonus pay.

Just to give a little move info, moving would be my wife, two year old son and myself. My wife has her Associates Degree in Human Services and would be looking for a job after about six months to a year of us moving. We currently live in Southwest VA in a small town with little job opportunity and a very big lack of things to do. Our house is currently on the market here so we have intentions of moving but are not sure to stay here or move South. There is a lot of research being done on our part but would like to also hear some opinions of people who have experienced the area. Also my wife has grandparents living in Titusville area but that would be the only family living near us. My questions to you are.....

How is living in the Sanford area with a family?

Could my job offer be considered a good one for the area?

What are good communities in or around the Sanford area?

How would you rate the cost of living?

How are the school systems?

All information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 02:16 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
The offer is good but not great in Central Florida but enough to live in a good area. Please don't think your confined to Sanford, there are alot of great areas within a 30 minute commute of your job. Please give us more specifics of what your looking for and we'd be happy to give more specific recommendations.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM

My family and I are looking for a more rural area, away from the hussle and bussle of the city. But at the same time we want to be close to shopping and everything that the area has to offer. We aren't fully set on just the Sanford area, because we have heard some great things about the Lake Mary area. We are just trying to get ideas about all the areas around where my job would be based if we made the move. Thank you so much for your response.

Justin

Old 12-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Also my job would be right off Interstate 4 near Lake Monroe.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Lake Mary is nice and Seminole County in general has some of the best schools in Central Florida so Oviedo, Ocoee, Winter Springs and Longwood are places to look at.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the info!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Hi Justin,

Lake Mary is nice but it's not going to give you a rural area. There are parts of Sanford, specifically to the west, that are good and will be more rural. (On 46, heading towards Mt Dora in Seminole Co) You will be close to shopping and restaurants. You will probably get mixed reviews about Sanford but there are good and bad areas. I think it's a decent income for the area as well. It also depends on your spending habits

Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your budget? House or apartment? This will help to point you in the right direction.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:57 PM

We would probably rent for the first year, I would prefer to rent a house. Our spending habits are usually very little, we enjoy things that cost little money (going to the park, fishing and occasionally going out to eat). Once our house has sold we would be able to come down with about $20,000 in our pocket but would want to put as much of that back as possible for money down on a house later. :-)

Old 12-14-2014, 07:57 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
For Rural I would look around sr46 including some of the tangent roads. Eustis may also be an option but I don't know much about the schools there. Also, there's a small pocket of rural living in Altamonte Springs around the bear lake area. Best of luck.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Lake Mary is nice and Seminole County in general has some of the best schools in Central Florida so Oviedo, Ocoee, Winter Springs and Longwood are places to look at.
Ocoee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando