Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone Guy View Post
We've lived here for a while now and we've grown very bored of Orlando and the surrounding areas.
Funny, I was sitting on a bench in Englewood FL one beautiful, sunny day and a woman said to me, "I made a big mistake moving here from Orlando. I'm bored."

Guess you can't please all the people all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The Florida forum on C-D is NOT a relocation forum. Is it called the Florida Relocation forum ?
It is a place where thousands of people seek information on other locales generally for the purpose of obtaining information regarding relocation.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM

450 posts, read 504,154 times
I agree with previous posters that if you are not happy, get out (if you can). But being a family-oriented person, I wouldn't do that so fast if I had other family members whose needs were imortant to me until we figured things out together. I don't live in FL anymore and lost my job because I refused to move back. Do I care??? Not really. My family is more important to me.

I'm NOT dissing FL! It was great for us for a while. Our needs/interests changed over time and it was time for us to go.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Funny, I was sitting on a bench in Englewood FL one beautiful, sunny day and a woman said to me, "I made a big mistake moving here from Orlando. I'm bored."

Guess you can't please all the people all of the time.
Yeah, maybe she should have moved out of state instead.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 PM

304 posts, read 341,556 times
When we lived in Orlando many years ago, simply spending a day at the beach was a nice day. We would also take in quite a few Solar Bears hockey games, as they weren't too expensive back then. Also, when spring training was going on I would drive around and watch games, it was a great time to meet players and get autographs. Usually, the job, kids, and housework kept everyone busy enough there wasn't a problem finding things to do.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,862,788 times
As one poster pointed out Winter Park . Mall of America, by Lady Lake periodic trips to the Gaylord hotel ,Whole Foods great pizza joints, Boardwalk Disney (including ESPN) cool convention center. Your central to the east coast ( ocean) and Tampa/ Clearwater even Crystal River. Many attractions in Kissimmee and town of Celebration it all depends on what interests you as it is a very busy hub If you somewhat con -
servative you might like Palm Harbor.

Best! Openmike

Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 PM

605 posts, read 704,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
It's obvious that you never spend any time in the city. The exhibits are ALWAYS changing at the museums in the city. The Bowie exhibit just closed at the MCA yesterday. It was absolutely amazing. Did you go? People around the country came to see that exhibit. Chicago is the only stop in the United States. The Art Institute has at least one major exhibit per year.

As far as the lakefront having no parking - well, if you live in the city, you needn't a lakefront to have any parking. The point of the lakefront path is to have people walking and biking there. It's not meant to be an area congested with cars. Why would you drive to to the lake anyway unless you're golfing at Waveland? Again, if you spent any time at the lake, you'd know there's a ton of shade. I am at the lake daily in the summer. I'm a skin cancer survivor. I avoid the sun like the plague. Somehow I manage to find shade nearly everywhere besides the beaches. There are bird sanctuaries are both Montrose and Addison. Have you been to those sanctuaries?

Why on earth would you be complaining about congested traffic? If you live in a good neighborhood in Chicago - Lakeview, Gold Coast, Old Town, Wrigleyville, etc. - you needn't drive anywhere. In fact, why would you drive anywhere? I'm able to walk everywhere, ride my bike, or take the train. Try riding your bike or walking in Central Florida. You'll either get hit by a car, mistaken as a prostitute or people assume you lost your license for a DUI. The entire part of city life is to avoid being in the car all day long. Cars only make people fat and lazy.

Your postings about Chicago come across as silly at best and ignorant at worst. I could understand if you actually lived in a thriving city neighborhood. But you don't. You're not a part of city life. You like suburban living, and I think Orlando is a much better fit for you.
HA! How hateful and ignorant. You have NO idea where I live. The City really is pretty big, and consists of more than Lakeview, Gold Coast, Old Town and Wrigleyville. If we want to go anywhere, we do have to drive, or take a train ride and switch over to busses or take a cab. Uh, no thanks. And we have to drive to get to the lakefront so we DO need parking. We ride our bike on a bike trail, not on City streets. And CFL has lots and lots of bike trails, with actual things to see other than garbage and busy streets to cross every few blocks. But we can't ride our bikes here anyway for about 7-8 months of the year. If I were in CFL right now I could go riding, on a beautiful trail, perhaps right even behind my own house. This week in Chicago? Yeah, sure...

I live in a GREAT neighborhood in Chicago (not the suburbs), but I have to take the highway or some other congested street to get anywhere. I'm not interested in driving in congested traffic, paying an arm and a leg for parking and then a high entrance fee to see one small exhibit in a museum I've seen a million times.

We do see some exhibits that are of particular interest (King Tut, etc.) but otherwise most of the travelling exhibits either don't interest us or aren't worth the hassle and money. We can always plan our visits back to our families to coincide with any "once a year" exhibit the Art Institute may have. That's not a reason to stay here.

As I mentioned, we do enjoy Brookfield Zoo, which is quiet and park like, which we enjoy quite a bit. We go there often. But again, this kind of weather makes it unpleasant to be outside at all.

If you like urban life, good for you. We do not. We want peace, quiet, space, nature, warmth and physical outdoor activity. Not indoor lectures and paintings. Not saying those things are bad or putting anyone down who likes them, but that's not where our interests lie. And to argue that Chicago is good for peace, quiet, space, nature, warmth and physical outdoor activity seems pretty silly.

Editing to add: Here's a good example. We decided to go to Zoo Lights at Lincoln Park Zoo a few weeks ago. We all decided to meet at my nephew's apartment in Lincoln Park, just a few blocks from the zoo, right on Clark. From our house (which is within City limits) we took the Kennedy and got off at Fullerton. We literally INCHED along, and it took us a whole hour to get there in the car. Something like 6 miles from our house. 6 miles. One hour. Then, we had to pay to park (no street parking to be found there), then we walked in wall to wall people around the zoo. And of course, most of the animal exhibits were closed, so we just looked at lights. Zzzzzzzzzz. We decided never again. Nephew likes it because he barely leaves his neighborhood, and when he does he just takes the EL. But he lives in an apt that is about 300 sq ft (literally), pays big money for it and it's a DUMP. And he steps out his door onto Clark St to honking horns and throngs of people everywhere. BLECH.

Last edited by Bellamouse; 01-05-2015 at 10:48 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,736,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
ROFL.
I know I know, we're all creative self empowered children of the universe who can walk on hot beds of coal and design any life we wish. Yawn.
Ha! For real, some of the "solutions" offered on this forum are just asinine.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 PM

605 posts, read 704,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
Cars only make people fat and lazy.
This has me laughing the most. I'm probably thinner and fitter than you. Did you miss all the reasons we want to be in FL?? Walking? Biking? Kayaking? Swimming? Not the desires of most fat, lazy people. So you can keep your nasty and foolish insults.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,972,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Ha! For real, some of the "solutions" offered on this forum are just asinine.
If you check out recent posts from certain posters, you start to see that they get their kicks by trolling on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando