Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Quote:
** Originally Posted by SassySpice
Those who made condescending comments are indicative of the foul personalities the OP has encountered in Orlando, thanks for proving his point.

Your attitude exemplifies nothing but arrogance. If a poster wants to vent his frustrations do you mean to tell me he should be humble & sweet about it? Your reply certainly wasn't nice, your 1st sentence "Who cares what he/she thinks to be honest" screams contempt. What the OP experienced & what you experienced may not be equal. Some people are just down right cantankerous no matter how nice you are & perhaps that was his experience since we really don't know. Furthermore you are a prime example of taking his frustrations personally, why is that? To be honest if the citizens of Orlando are anything like the majority of the replies on here I'd catch the 1st thing smoking outta there as well.

The** means - Add your name to the list..........I rest my case.
Yes, arrogance by my message about most people are good no matter where you are in the world if you are nice first. That SCREAMS arrogance right LOL.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 03-06-2015 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,587,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualcaster View Post
So I moved to the Orlando area three months ago now and the verdict is in. I have to say that I feel pretty stupid for having commented on some other posts before moving here. I thought that people were being bitter for whatever reason and didn't take the majority of the negative comments seriously. So here are some observations from someone who learned the hard way.

My overall summary of the area is simply this: Orlando sucks. Many people, myself included, make the huge mistake of judging the quality of life and the people who live here against theme park visits. I can't imagine how many people have visited Disney World over the years and had a wonderful time and thought, "Gosh, I'd love to live here." Well, like the old adage goes, it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.

Without going into a long overblown diatribe I'll try and sum it up as succinctly as I can. Here's what you can expect if you move to the greater Orlando area: high crime, high probability of being in a car accident (which translates into high insurance rates), high rent for low quality housing, low wages, zero culture, a near non-existent restaurant scene (unless Cracker Barrel is a "scene" to you), traffic, traffic, traffic, traffic...did I mention traffic? If you want to get a sense of what is happening here you simply have to look on Indeed and follow what is happening in the job market. The behemoth theme park companies dominate the market share of jobs and the wages are appallingly low and not commensurate with the cost of living in the area. Further to that the chance of finding a full-time job with one of these companies is slim to nil. I have over twenty years of professional experience in marketing and management and have sent out countless resumes and simply do not receive responses. I mentioned it to a co-worker (I did find a part-time job) and she matter of factly said that that's just how it is and to expect it. And after being here now for awhile I've come to realize that there is simply little to no need for skilled professionals with an education.

I really can't stress it enough. If you're considering moving here you really should try to do as much research as possible. Apply for jobs if you don't have one lined up already and see what the response is. If you can afford to do so come here and rent for a couple of weeks and drive around and really get to know the lay of the land. If you're retired and have a guaranteed income and don't go out a lot and have low expectations then you'll probably enjoy the lifestyle here. However, if you enjoy socializing and a city with bookstores, coffee houses, culture, and things within reasonable traveling distance you will be sorely disappointed. This is one of the most transient cities you'll ever encounter. People come for college programs to work in the theme parks for a few months and go. The immigrant population is enormous, which translates (sadly) into a large group of underpaid, unskilled labor. Everyone I work with has at least two jobs and is living with family or at least three other roommates in order to survive. Public transportation is a joke with a 15 minute car ride becoming four hours on a bus. The pace is frantic and people are largely unhappy, depressed and desperate because careers seem non-existent and the future bleak. If you want to live alone be prepared to spend an average of $1,100 per month on a 600 square foot apartment plus all utilities.

I am 40 years old and came here because my parents were retiring here and I needed to help them move across the country and get them settled. I love Disney and theme parks and thought it would be fun. It is anything but. I am looking to relocate as soon as possible now that my parents are settled in. I've lived all over the country and truly have never been as disappointed in an area as I am in Orlando. Do your research! Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment like it did me.
Economy: As a graduate student soon to get out in Higher Education, I have to say I've found the job market to be difficult. However, that may be more related to the field I'm in involved in. I honestly can't say whether there would be a better/less overfilled place for me to go, but there might be

High crime: where? I have never seen anything of the sort. and I definitely don't live in lofty accommodations. I do think Orlando like any larger city has it's areas, and it's just important to be aware of where you move. I feel deeply sorry something of the sort happened to you though.

High Rent: I can't really say. I know there are places that are worse, but I also imagine there are places that are better.

Culture: How do you define culture? As far as diversity, it's very much a melting pot, but I think I would agree that with the exception of Little Saigon there's few places to enjoy ethnic eating experience. Or are you referring to high culture (art/museums, live music, theatre, ). In that case yeah I would yeah it definitely does stink for that. Orlando as a museum city is PRETTY rough , even compared to many smaller northern cities (think: Hartford, Buffalo, Toledo, Peoria). But I always justify that by saying there's not much Orlando can do about it, Orlando and other Sun Belt cities aren't sitting on 200 years of industrial/colonial wealth. There is The Morse Museum on Park Ave, and the Loch Haven Park which has a couple museums, a Shakespeare Center and a Repertory Theater. (The new DP is still mad expensive)

Orlando has those, but you just have to know where to look . It sounds like your in the wrong corner of town for that though, so unfortunately it is a hike. The thing that bothers me, there actually is a wealth of food options for under 10 bucks that are not your usual fast food. But then there's no middle ground for restaurants for the most part (do try Prato, Hollerbach's and Columbia). I will say that compared to many cities there isn't many middle ground excellent restaurant, disproportionate percentage of ones that are good are slightly overpriced.

Traffic sucks to be sure, but I bike to work so unfortunately I can't relate : )

Coffee shops and all that exist in several neighborhoods as other posters mentioned. You might like Nerd Nite, which is the second Thursday of every month in Audobon Park and feels distinctly local.

Sorry your move has not been working out. I can't say I haven't enjoyed my time in Orlando, but honestly over time, I've come to sort of prefer Cleveland in some ways for things you mention+parks. However, I am here now, so while I won't necessarily plant roots, I choose my own attitude, so I am choosing to make the most of it today. And Orlando Doesn't Suck!! There is actually a t shirt line with that phrase lol.

Orlandoan.com
Bungalower.com
OrlandoWeekly.com

Old 03-06-2015, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 25,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Well, within walking distance of my house in Florida, I've got the local French bakery. I have to drive about 10 minutes to get to a local butcher, providing I don't just pick up stuff from one of the two local farmer's markets every week. I do drive a bit farther to get to the seafood market I like, but mostly because I'm a cheapskate and like going directly to the wholesaler. I like hiking out in Tibet-Butler nature preserve (again, walking distance from my house), and when you are out there, it is very easy to forget that you are anywhere near civilization. We certainly didn't have parks like that anywhere near where I lived in Maryland. We're within walking distance of the elementary school, and will be within walking distance of the middle school by the time my daughter gets into middle school. For high school, assuming she doesn't just go straight to Valencia College, she would need to take a bike to get to the high school site, and that would take her about 15 minutes by bike. I personally don't care about old churches. If I want a church experience, I'd be more concerned with God than the appearance--but I do know that some people care more about looks than they care about substance. And perhaps that's where the difference is between those who are happy here and those who are not. I've done the trendy rat-race-infested lifestyle in an area where you can't even get potholes fixed if you provide the asphalt and the shovel yourself. I've done the three-hour-a-day commute to go to the "big city" where the wages aren't enough to pay for your $2000 studio apartment. I've got my mink coat and precious gem jewelry and all the latest and greatest electronics, and am able to wine and dine with the best of them.

And yet I prefer an area where I can just wear jeans and flip flops and sit on my porch without having to be "cultured" and "sophisticated". But I realize that being "simple" and "relaxed" isn't for everyone. So I would hope that those for whom this lifestyle doesn't fit do leave the area to find where it works for them. And when they go, I also hope that they leave a forwarding address for where they have gone…so I can avoid taking a vacation there. It wouldn't do my healthy any good to be in that kind of world even for a short period of time.
I think its funny! So, because I appreciate a historic building, a cathedral with history, an old building converted into a local coffee shop, or don't care to wear nasty flip flops all year long..somehow I am not relaxed? Are you serious? I am certainly not going to apologize for wanting to see something of cultural importance and value rather than the largest Perkins in America ( which Orlando just announced is happening,btw) lol
I really do not appreciate the stacks of cookie cutter homes and endless strip malls at every corner. No, this doesn't make me more concerned about appearances.. It's quite the opposite. It makes me more concerned with preservation and character for the community in which I live. Main Street America, small town and simple doesnt exist here .. But you keep living in your fantasy land of thinking to the contrary. Enjoy the next 6 years of the I4 construction and for your sake, I hope a toll road doesn't pop up in your backyard, or a storage facility. I also hope you can continue "walking" most places which I highly doubt is true. I think you're full of it, but some people will say anything to prove their point, even if it means embellishing things. I also hope your daughter doesn't end up biking through a 4 lane highway to get to school... Let me guess you're near all "A" rated schools in Orlando too? Wow.. Amazing. Especially when "A" rated just means the best of the options available by Florida standards...and average at best when compared Nationally.
Good luck to you and your make believe part of Orlando. To each his own.....enjoy that koolaid.. And most importantly --Enjoy the weather!!!

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 AM

782 posts, read 1,360,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothankyou2000 View Post
I think its funny! So, because I appreciate a historic building, a cathedral with history, an old building converted into a local coffee shop, or don't care to wear nasty flip flops all year long..somehow I am not relaxed? Are you serious? I am certainly not going to apologize for wanting to see something of cultural importance and value rather than the largest Perkins in America ( which Orlando just announced is happening,btw) lol
I really do not appreciate the stacks of cookie cutter homes and endless strip malls at every corner. No, this doesn't make me more concerned about appearances.. It's quite the opposite. It makes me more concerned with preservation and character for the community in which I live. Main Street America, small town and simple doesnt exist here .. But you keep living in your fantasy land of thinking to the contrary. Enjoy the next 6 years of the I4 construction and for your sake, I hope a toll road doesn't pop up in your backyard, or a storage facility. I also hope you can continue "walking" most places which I highly doubt is true. I think you're full of it, but some people will say anything to prove their point, even if it means embellishing things. I also hope your daughter doesn't end up biking through a 4 lane highway to get to school... Let me guess you're near all "A" rated schools in Orlando too? Wow.. Amazing. Especially when "A" rated just means the best of the options available by Florida standards...and average at best when compared Nationally.
Good luck to you and your make believe part of Orlando. To each his own.....enjoy that koolaid.. And most importantly --Enjoy the weather!!!
Your posts seem to indicate someone who is….a little high-strung, yes.

The town that I lived in most recently in Maryland was incorporated in 1870, although it has ruins of structures in town dating back to 1811. (Mostly some broken walls covered with graffiti and the surrounding lands littered with drug paraphernalia, when it wasn't being used as a place to dump a dead body or two.) The town I'm living in now in Florida was established in 1889. The oldest building here was built in 1890, and isn't covered with graffiti nor filled with drug paraphernalia.

As far as I-4 goes, the only time I drive on it is when I pick it up down in Osceola County to head out towards Tampa maybe once or twice a year. I don't travel the main part of it--no need to--so the construction won't bother me.

Here's the mileages that I walk, in case you're curious:

To the French Cafe: .5 miles.
To the grocery store: .4 miles
To my daughter's current elementary school: 1.5 miles
To the new elementary school opening in a little over a year: .8 mile
To the new middle school location: 1.1 miles
To the new high school location: 3.4 miles

Good sidewalks (which I run during the day in the winter and in the evening during the summer), and when there are roads to cross, very good crosswalk signals, including the kind that stop traffic in all four directions.

The SchoolDigger rating for the elementary school where my daughter will go for her first year here is 4 stars (after which, she'll go to a new school that likely will get the same scores as it draws from the same area). The elementary school where she would have gone in Maryland was 2 stars, and because there was no bussing, she would have had to walk along a major road with no sidewalks to get there. For middle school, her school here is 5 and her school in Maryland was 1 star. So yes, at the moment, schooling is better here than it was up north.

The downtown area where I lived had a Main Street, but it wasn't a place you'd want to go often. The only successful businesses there were the local Witchcraft supply shop, a chain BBQ store, and a Tack shop, plus the post office. When the road wasn't being flooded because they had to open the dam (which is in a dangerous state of disrepair, but there's no money to fix it), as long as you avoided going on the side streets it was safe enough, though--just nothing worth going for. The big thing about the town now is that they've torn down the old shopping mall (and its parking structure that was closed a few years ago because it started falling apart on top of cars) and are building a strip mall in its spot to try and fix up the place. The town was very good about plowing snow, though. I do have to give them credit for that. I can almost guarantee that even with the 9" of snow they got yesterday, the roads should be well plowed by tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 25,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Your posts seem to indicate someone who is….a little high-strung, yes.

The town that I lived in most recently in Maryland was incorporated in 1870, although it has ruins of structures in town dating back to 1811. (Mostly some broken walls covered with graffiti and the surrounding lands littered with drug paraphernalia, when it wasn't being used as a place to dump a dead body or two.) The town I'm living in now in Florida was established in 1889. The oldest building here was built in 1890, and isn't covered with graffiti nor filled with drug paraphernalia.

As far as I-4 goes, the only time I drive on it is when I pick it up down in Osceola County to head out towards Tampa maybe once or twice a year. I don't travel the main part of it--no need to--so the construction won't bother me.

Here's the mileages that I walk, in case you're curious:

To the French Cafe: .5 miles.
To the grocery store: .4 miles
To my daughter's current elementary school: 1.5 miles
To the new elementary school opening in a little over a year: .8 mile
To the new middle school location: 1.1 miles
To the new high school location: 3.4 miles

Good sidewalks (which I run during the day in the winter and in the evening during the summer), and when there are roads to cross, very good crosswalk signals, including the kind that stop traffic in all four directions.

The SchoolDigger rating for the elementary school where my daughter will go for her first year here is 4 stars (after which, she'll go to a new school that likely will get the same scores as it draws from the same area). The elementary school where she would have gone in Maryland was 2 stars, and because there was no bussing, she would have had to walk along a major road with no sidewalks to get there. For middle school, her school here is 5 and her school in Maryland was 1 star. So yes, at the moment, schooling is better here than it was up north.

The downtown area where I lived had a Main Street, but it wasn't a place you'd want to go often. The only successful businesses there were the local Witchcraft supply shop, a chain BBQ store, and a Tack shop, plus the post office. When the road wasn't being flooded because they had to open the dam (which is in a dangerous state of disrepair, but there's no money to fix it), as long as you avoided going on the side streets it was safe enough, though--just nothing worth going for. The big thing about the town now is that they've torn down the old shopping mall (and its parking structure that was closed a few years ago because it started falling apart on top of cars) and are building a strip mall in its spot to try and fix up the place. The town was very good about plowing snow, though. I do have to give them credit for that. I can almost guarantee that even with the 9" of snow they got yesterday, the roads should be well plowed by tomorrow.

Do I seem high strung to you? My apologies! You seem passive aggressive and little arrogant, no?
Haha..
Well, again, as usual, people like you, their strongest argument? The weather*yawn* Floridians are notorious for bragging about the weather in the Winter. It's so old and obnoxious. Who cares. You don't see northerners bragging about the beautiful Summers and Falls..or the White Christmas.. or bragging about not having a Hurricane Season..it's so stupid. As if that was the only thing....I actually love the Seasons and the traditions and fun that comes with each one. Do you really think the Summers in Orlando are pleasant?
Clearly wherever you were in Maryland (never been) wasn't great, and maybe Central Florida is a cultural haven for you. Different strokes for different folks.
I am so glad you have found this amazing bubble in Orlando.
Where I am (est.1817) I have 2-3 local bakeries on my corner( not counting the countless around towns, districts and townships within 10 minutes,etc. We have gourmet market places, local coffee shops, breakfast cafes, old churches, old restored homes, parks, rolling hills, trails, forest, parks all within walking and almost all the mom and pops businesses have been there for generations. We have recognized foods UNIQUE to the area. All the sports venues are within a short drive. We have a 2 billion dollar art museum, and beautiful landscapes to enjoy in the suburbs. It's clean and my kids' schools are nationally recognized. NATIONALLY. The kids are learning world languages like Chinese and learning how to build robots. We have historic museums galore, along with cider mills and barns open every Season. We were even on top 10 best places to live, NONE of which were in Florida. In fact Orlando got some of the worst rankings for drivers, crime, and traffic..along with pedestrian deaths. Where I am, we were also awarded top 5 best historic Main Street in America. I lived in Orlando for over 15 years. Since leaving, other than a visit to see some friends, I have never looked back. I don't miss the transients, the renters, the pan handlers ( which you don't EVER see where I am now) the 'A' schools or the slums on every corner. Again, I am happy for you.
And you know what? I am going to say it again, the indirect weather argument is so weak. This "enjoying all year round" nonsense. The "sunshine' State isn't even rightfully named. AZ took that spot. I bet Florida is number 1 for something though------
- #1 in crazy news and crazy, uneducated people. There is a reason it's the butt of so many jokes nationally. It's no coincidence. But again, keep on living the dream buddy. You stay in your corner and I'll stay in mine. We will see where your neighborhood and my neighborhood stand in the next 15 -25 years. As with all the neighborhoods where I am, they don't change. People establish themselves here, raise their families and make a life. Winters and all. The Governor of Florida can keep waving people to come to Orlando and sell them the scam it is. Again best of luck. Agree to disagree! Peace.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
@Nothankyou: you said, "You stay in your corner and I'll stay in mine"

LOL, so what are you doing in the Orlando forum if that is the mentality you have?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:32 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,480,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothankyou2000 View Post
Where I am (est.1817) I have 2-3 local bakeries on my corner( not counting the countless around towns, districts and townships within 10 minutes,etc. We have gourmet market places, local coffee shops, breakfast cafes, old churches, old restored homes, parks, rolling hills, trails, forest, parks all within walking and almost all the mom and pops businesses have been there for generations. We have recognized foods UNIQUE to the area. All the sports venues are within a short drive. We have a 2 billion dollar art museum, and beautiful landscapes to enjoy in the suburbs. It's clean and my kids' schools are nationally recognized. NATIONALLY. The kids are learning world languages like Chinese and learning how to build robots. We have historic museums galore, along with cider mills and barns open every Season. We were even on top 10 best places to live, NONE of which were in Florida. In fact Orlando got some of the worst rankings for drivers, crime, and traffic..along with pedestrian deaths. Where I am, we were also awarded top 5 best historic Main Street in America. I lived in Orlando for over 15 years. Since leaving, other than a visit to see some friends, I have never looked back. I don't miss the transients, the renters, the pan handlers ( which you don't EVER see where I am now) the 'A' schools or the slums on every corner. Again, I am happy for you.
And you know what? I am going to say it again, the indirect weather argument is so weak. This "enjoying all year round" nonsense. The "sunshine' State isn't even rightfully named. AZ took that spot. I bet Florida is number 1 for something though------
- #1 in crazy news and crazy, uneducated people. There is a reason it's the butt of so many jokes nationally. It's no coincidence. But again, keep on living the dream buddy. You stay in your corner and I'll stay in mine. We will see where your neighborhood and my neighborhood stand in the next 15 -25 years. As with all the neighborhoods where I am, they don't change. People establish themselves here, raise their families and make a life. Winters and all. The Governor of Florida can keep waving people to come to Orlando and sell them the scam it is. Again best of luck. Agree to disagree! Peace.
So, where do you live? It sounds wonderful.

Personally, I've found a ton of wonderful places in Orlando that sound a lot like what you describe. Have you ever been to Thornton Park, or Audubon Park, or College Park, or Winter Park? Gorgeous, historic homes, brick-paved streets, old oaks, and small lakes that make it such a scenic place to drive around. I thoroughly enjoy grabbing lunch at one of the many local eateries around town. East End Market is a gourmet market that recently opened up. Not only does is have fabulous, locally owned vendors but they also have workshops relating to entrepreneurial endeavors. We have some fabulous local coffee shops as well. Downtown Credo, Barnie's, Austin's, Drunken Monkey, Achilles Art Cafe, Stardust, etc.

Not sure why you're so insistent that Orlando lacks anything that could possibly considered cultural or desirable. Lots of people have found that here and enjoy it.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM

35,311 posts, read 20,685,064 times
I moved around due to military and all and been up and down east coast west coast and over seas...and Orlando is more than lovely. I love it here- have met all my neighbors with 2 weeks of moving to my new place. I have all kinds of references for work that needs to be done- people giving me advise on certain things- My neighbor pulls my garbage can for me -I did not ask him to, but he will have a new fence soon and I guess that makes him very happy! I am integrating MARVELOUSLY !! I was not keen off 27th South Clermont - but my kids love it there- You are not happy--- adios that- simple, may take time but go for it.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
You can't come to a place that people have chosen to call their home, completely trash talk it, and then hope not to encounter any critical feedback on your comments, regardless of whether the delivery thereof is gentle or harsh.

I'm sure that if I moved to this effervescent, utopian, almost better than Heaven place in America I've heard so much about and started trash talking it, I'd get the same response you're getting here on this forum. What is this place called? It's called Up North.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
I met a few new ppl last week, and after we got to talking a little bit, and our past jobs/colleges etc came up... both of them were very interested in leaving FL (one was a native, one was from another southern state, and the other was from Va (which can be considered southern or not, depending on which part). But they are very intrigued by NC and SC. Two of them already have plans to relocate there, and one is planning a vacation to spend some time there and get to know it better. Its amazing how many ppl being from a certain are want to leave FL and go to NC/SC and there are a ton of ppl from other areas of the country (or outside the US) that love FL. Its very interesting and I think it definitely makes a difference where you're from orginally, what you are used to, and what you like/dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando