Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,036 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone. Just got engaged, looking to purchase a first home together. We found two homes we really like in two pretty different areas.

One is located off a road right next to the intersection of conway gardens and lake margret

The other is winter park off a road west of semoran, close to the whole foods shopping complex.

Which would you say is a better location? Homes are both about the same age, condition, upgrades ect. The WP home is actually slightly cheaper. I know Conway is nice and Winter Park has a lot of prestige, but I don't know much about these area's specifically.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
How far from where you work? the house is what makes you feel good- you just know it-then its a HOME_ think next question is traffic and accessibility- groceries, work- movie theater coming to Semoran and Lee Vista by Chilis- and then long term-- schools-

Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
You are right they are both very similar (actually you said different) and both have pros and cons but overall, I would say the Winter Park area has a slightly better reputation but more importantly, probably better resale potential should you ever decide to move. The cons are that the WP home has a much longer route to I-4. But the pros, you can market WP high school district, easy access to Baldwin Park, Park Ave, Audubon Park and Downtown. Also Conway area is little less cohesive than most WP communities. Pros of Conway, it has easy access to airport, 408, 528, I-4 and downtown. Directly to the west is Downtown South which is a really up and coming area, Boone HS is also pretty good. If I were lucky enough to be in your situation I would choose the WP home but both are good options.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:47 AM

Thank you both for such quick responses.

I'm a teacher with OCPS. I currently work at Cypress Creek (off orange in south Orlando). Distance to travel doesn't bother me if I love where I live. As a football coach, I know I'll move schools from time to time. Both homes are just so similar in layout, size, ect. The deciding factor is the neighborhoods.

They are pretty similar, I meant different in locations. They're a good 20-30 mins away from each other. Resale could be big because I hope to move into a brand new home one day in the future.

I wasn't sure about the winter park home because it's not the rich, downtown winter park area that is so coveted. I hear some parts of it can be bad, so I wanted to make sure that specific area is alright.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Generally speaking anything west of Semoran in WP is considered desirable and most areas west of Conway Rd, particularly south of Michigan are considered desirable in Conway area.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 AM

Great to know, thank you!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,463 times
Default winter park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouzas View Post
Great to know, thank you!
No one seems to mention the trains here. Over by Conway and Michigan you have the planes landing into Orlando, but here you have freight trains coming through 3 times a day plus the sunrail and Amtrak. It is really noisy and the freight trains come as early as 5 AM. Whistles blow almost continually to Altamonte Springs. I can't sleep, love it here, but can't sleep. Moved from Conway area...would never live there again. But not sure I will stay in WP.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
The train tracks are miles away from the location in WP that the OP is looking into.

It's a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando