U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times

Advertisements

I'll have to admit, I haven't explored Orlando nearly as much as you residents have. That can wait until I'm living there. But from what I can gather based on the research I've done, Orlando is a good city that is only growing and has already broken out of its Disney shell. I think it's the Florida city with the best future.

Not everyone, but a good portion only think Disney World when you mention Orlando. I'm moving there because I'm looking for a good-sized city that has some walkability, good nightlife, a major international airport, and a place that is improving all the time. Orlando seems it for me. Somewhere else on the internet, someone had posted a huge photo thread of Downtown Orlando and I was amazed. And when I went to Winter Park for the first time last year, I was shocked that Orlando had an area as beautiful as WP with all the lakes and stuff.

Orlando seems to be thriving in every way. So why hasn't anyone else noticed? How long until you think Orlando is recognized? Of course it'll never be a NYC or a SF, but for a city of its size...it seems just as good if not better than cities that are similar to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 PM

782 posts, read 1,049,085 times
Truthfully, I hope it never gets recognized.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,410,456 times
I think it will take a few more years. We've been in an upswing recently, with the opening of the new Amway Arena and the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center. If all goes according to plan and we get the new soccer stadium, the Creative Village, the downtown UCF campus and more, I think you'll see a really progressive city that will attract more young professionals.

One thing that I think Orlando lacks currently are world-class museums. I love the Morse Museum, but the Orlando Museum of Art and the Orlando Science Center just aren't up to snuff. OMA's permanent collection seems to have hardly changed in the last 20 years. I think high quality museums would bring a different kind of tourist that is interested in a city's cultural offerings. Most people who visit Orlando probably think 192 and International Drive are representative of the city, which is unfortunate.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,612,286 times
Orlando will likely always be recognized as a theme park capital and synonymous with Disney to most of the World and to most of us, we're fine with that. As long as we keep growing and diversifying our economy I'm happy. Eventually when the other fields grow and become more prevalent here we'll become known for other sectors, but the people already in those fields already know and that's what matters.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 6,869,998 times
Dude, it's already known.

like what do u want? Do u want it to be internationally recognized because of winter park? Do u want the city to be silicon valley? I dont even get ur question really. "When will Orlando be known?"

ummm, It is.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,664,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'll have to admit, I haven't explored Orlando nearly as much as you residents have. That can wait until I'm living there. But from what I can gather based on the research I've done, Orlando is a good city that is only growing and has already broken out of its Disney shell. I think it's the Florida city with the best future.

Not everyone, but a good portion only think Disney World when you mention Orlando. I'm moving there because I'm looking for a good-sized city that has some walkability, good nightlife, a major international airport, and a place that is improving all the time. Orlando seems it for me. Somewhere else on the internet, someone had posted a huge photo thread of Downtown Orlando and I was amazed. And when I went to Winter Park for the first time last year, I was shocked that Orlando had an area as beautiful as WP with all the lakes and stuff.

Orlando seems to be thriving in every way. So why hasn't anyone else noticed? How long until you think Orlando is recognized? Of course it'll never be a NYC or a SF, but for a city of its size...it seems just as good if not better than cities that are similar to it.
I think it got recognized in the mid 90's. I got there in 88 and it was still pretty quiet. I-4 was bad sometimes then but otherwise it was a wonderful little city. By the mid 90's the population became too much for me. Compared to 88 most of the area has had a big face lift.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:04 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I think it will take a few more years. We've been in an upswing recently, with the opening of the new Amway Arena and the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center. If all goes according to plan and we get the new soccer stadium, the Creative Village, the downtown UCF campus and more, I think you'll see a really progressive city that will attract more young professionals.

One thing that I think Orlando lacks currently are world-class museums. I love the Morse Museum, but the Orlando Museum of Art and the Orlando Science Center just aren't up to snuff. OMA's permanent collection seems to have hardly changed in the last 20 years. I think high quality museums would bring a different kind of tourist that is interested in a city's cultural offerings. Most people who visit Orlando probably think 192 and International Drive are representative of the city, which is unfortunate.

Yep. A friend of mine I went to HS with in Canada (he now lives in Shanghai) visited Orlando recently for the second time.
I met up with him at his hotel on I-Drive, and when I mentioned to him that we should go into town, he looked confused. He thought the heart of Orlando was I-Drive.
When we parked by Mills/50 and walked around for lunch, he was pleasantly surprised that what he was thought was Orlando was far, FAR from it.
He spent the remainder of his time in town as far away from I-Drive as he could, except for nights at his hotel.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:05 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,574,299 times
I agree with the poster about the museum comment. Morse is quite interesting, has revisit value because of constantly changing exhibits, and Friday night specials. Of course, it's sort of hard to develop a massive arts collection now, because of two things.

A) Money now is nothing compared to the robber baron days of the gilded age/turn of the century. Northern cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh don't have museums that can go toe to toe with NYC because of "entrepreneurial spirit", though that certainly helps. They have it because of two names (well more than two), but you know, Carnegie and Rockefeller. Even Disney's money is quite poor/pales compared to what they had in today's numbers. Some have argued that if today's numbers were a factor, Rockefeller was approaching what in those days would be considered a TRILLIONAIRE. Not saying it's a bad thing that we have more of a sense of free enterprise now, just that there's a reason beaux arts architecture stopped after about 1920.

B) Art and collections of things seemed to have largely happened in the late 19th and 20th centuries. And quite honestly, art and other cultural matters just don't have the prominence in society now that we've reached the 21st century and there are so many mediums for entertainment and expression, that, and this isn't a bad thing either, but all of them have been watered down.

Now this is something that I've long thought about, since obviously OMA can only do what it can do, but adding to collections is always important. CMA just ten years ago acquired the original copy of the Apollo sculpture by Praxiteles, under a short sale, and it is now considered arguably the most valuable ancient artwork/antiquity in the Western Hemisphere.

I have thought that there is only so much Orlando can do about this, as there are certainly realities that are faced, if you don't happen to have John Ringling move his estate next door to the city. But, certainly I'd like for their to be better museums/collections in the city itself. I've often wondered why business leaders haven't done more, although the only super major corporate HQ presence in the area is Disney. I think out of self interest, they don't necessarily WANT the city to have a massive array of other things to do than visit it's theme parks. But that's just my theory.

Edit: I would like to be aware of any great museums/cultural assets in Orlando (zoos included), or Florida in general. If I had to pick ten areas to visit for that type of stuff in the state, I'd pick: Morse (WP), Lowry Park Zoo (Tampa), Lion Country Safari (WPB), Ybor City Historic District (Tampa), Historic St. Augustine, Flagler Mansion, Ringling Museum (best), Salvador Dali Museum, South Florida Museum and the DPPA seems to be getting the most in the way of broadway stuff in the state. After that, it seems like there's a gap, on which surprisingly, Miami doesn't even seem to be on the map.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM

16,564 posts, read 16,220,686 times
I would also say Orlando is already known, it's known throughout most of the world in fact, thanks to the theme park industry, which is something to be proud about.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
By known, I just meant that it's not on the radar as a place that has really grown and changed. I'm not even talking internationally, just domestically. For example...I'm really impressed with the way cities such as Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc. have developed. I would have never known that Orlando actually has a good Downtown if I didn't look into it on my own.

People my age who are looking for the kinds I am in a city don't just think "Gee, Orlando has all of that!", so it kind of seems like a hidden gem to me. Sure, many of those "Top 10 Downtowns, Top 10 Smaller Cities to live in, Top 10 Cities for Singles" articles are often bullcrap, but they help in attracting people to a city.

Don't you think Orlando should be a little more recognized in that matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or