Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 AM

782 posts, read 1,362,092 times

Advertisements

Because of the cost of rent/housing prices in Windermere, it would be difficult for someone at age 18 to settle down here (unless they are in one of the income-restricted places on the far outskirts that caters to cast members/DCPs sharing units). That said, this part of town is very much the anti-55+ community zone. There's a couple seniors I see on a regular basis working over at Publix, and there's an older couple who live in the next building over, but aside from that, there's few people over age 50 here. Especially in the newer developments, with house sizes, it is geared towards professionals who have opted to have one or maybe two kids once they are established in careers. (That's another benefit here -- my daughter will never feel odd about being an only child because so many families here are also "one and done".) When you get into the "old school" parts of Windermere around main street, it is a lot of people who have been living there for ages upon ages, so the average age is much higher.

Just running the data, the median resident age for Horizon West is 32.7 years, for Windermere is 45.6 years, and (for completeness) for Oviedo 35.3 years. If I had to guess, Oviedo might have a lot of DINKs and SINKs that bring the average age up, but not as many seniors as Windermere proper to bring the average age down. A DINK or a SINK wouldn't be interested in a 5-bedroom house, I wouldn't think, so Horizon West has those added kid(s) to bring the age down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,598,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Are you talking based on actual experience or from your impression? I'm asking because I conpletely disagree. Windermere is close to CityWalk, Downtown Disney, I-Drive, Restaurant Row, Outlets, Millennia area, Downtown, Pointe Orlando and all the theme parks and water parks. I don't see how people in their 20s would find Oviedo more fun. It's so far from the main points of interest of Orlando. Downtown and Winter Park are the most appealing to the younger crowd followed by Dr. Phillips in my opinion anyways.
Actual experience, albeit, my experience. All of the places you mentioned seem more, well manufactured, expensive, and mainly catering to tourists. I guess "main points of interest" of Orlando would be all relative, but frankly, as mentioned, I would rather be close to UCF and all it offers, that frankly, that side of town for the most part doesn't. Were closer over on this side of town to places like Audobon Park and Winter Park, which I consider to be the true "Orlando Specific" spots for entertainment, that is unique and affordable. As a young person, I enjoy learning, so going to on campus events (7-8 free theatre events for year, there's always an art gallery, there's an on campus observatory, in my time here I've met and had personal interactions with Ken Jennings, Amy Farah Fowler (from the Big Bang Theory, , several presidential candidates, the school president, John Rivers, the CEO of EA Sports, Khaled Hosseini, etc.), watching college sports, working out in local park like areas, and going to local, mom/pop type places that are reflected of the kind of "de facto college town", that University and Alafaya present. Places like Lazy Moon, Jimmy Hula's, Sus Hi Eat Station, Natura, an Asian Grocery Store etc. all have real character in my opinion, and present excellent food at affordable prices. I'm not all that big on big box chains/malls, and I'd guess that many in their 20's either wouldn't be able to afford consistently the annual pass prices, or if they did, they may only go 7-8 times a year. Clearly that side of town is more unique for vacations, particularly for kids, but I think in terms of livability and going to unique places more, Oviedo is among the best.

Oviedo has a very good historical society, which meets monthly and has all sorts of local events. The one thing that does bug me about Oviedo is that it isn't super walkable. I do find it kind of funny how people talk about the hustle/bustle of downtown, when in reality it is one of the more relaxing and quaint places to be. However, apart from that, many of the things you mentioned about those neighborhoods, exists in the Southern Part of Oviedo, and particularly around UCF, in the form of mom/pop restaurants, coffee shops, dives/nightlife, etc. Plus, apart from Audobon Park/Mount Dora, I don't think any area of Orlando has a particularly strong mom/pop culture. As to trails, they may have the West Orange about 15-20 minutes away, but I think Oviedo still tops them in that regard with no less than 4-5 places similar to or exceeding the West Orange Trail in terms of where it leads, and convenience to where I am (I can start a run from my house and be at 3 of those places, and still come back and have done fewer than 10 miles, those places are all less than a 5 minute drive)

At least according to Google Maps Oviedo is slightly closer or at least equal length to downtown.

I don't deny that Windermere is a nice and charming community, that has it's own unique perks, but in my opinion, so does Oviedo.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,774,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Because of the cost of rent/housing prices in Windermere, it would be difficult for someone at age 18 to settle down here (unless they are in one of the income-restricted places on the far outskirts that caters to cast members/DCPs sharing units). That said, this part of town is very much the anti-55+ community zone. There's a couple seniors I see on a regular basis working over at Publix, and there's an older couple who live in the next building over, but aside from that, there's few people over age 50 here. Especially in the newer developments, with house sizes, it is geared towards professionals who have opted to have one or maybe two kids once they are established in careers. (That's another benefit here -- my daughter will never feel odd about being an only child because so many families here are also "one and done".) When you get into the "old school" parts of Windermere around main street, it is a lot of people who have been living there for ages upon ages, so the average age is much higher.

Just running the data, the median resident age for Horizon West is 32.7 years, for Windermere is 45.6 years, and (for completeness) for Oviedo 35.3 years. If I had to guess, Oviedo might have a lot of DINKs and SINKs that bring the average age up, but not as many seniors as Windermere proper to bring the average age down. A DINK or a SINK wouldn't be interested in a 5-bedroom house, I wouldn't think, so Horizon West has those added kid(s) to bring the age down.
That's what I always think when it comes to age. Orlando is one of youngest cities in Florida and with all the development will continue to attract young families , Dinks, and other people in different age brackets. But yes most communities going up are geared toward families which does bring the median age down in some areas. IMO all major cities in Florida are attracting a lot more younger residents then they were before. Also we are blessed to have immigrants keep neighborhoods alive and healthy so they wont die as the residents do. Some states don't have a lot of people from other counties so they age faster believe it or not then Florida.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,169,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
That's what I always think when it comes to age. Orlando is one of youngest cities in Florida and with all the development will continue to attract young families , Dinks, and other people in different age brackets. But yes most communities going up are geared toward families which does bring the median age down in some areas. IMO all major cities in Florida are attracting a lot more younger residents then they were before. Also we are blessed to have immigrants keep neighborhoods alive and healthy so they wont die as the residents do. Some states don't have a lot of people from other counties so they age faster believe it or not then Florida.
What kind of nonsense is this ?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM

24,328 posts, read 26,735,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I think what he is saying (he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that many cities in the country don't see an inflow of new families, so as the people living their age, so does the community because there aren't new families moving in. I'm not sure if that's what he meant, but that's how interrupted it.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think what he is saying (he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that many cities in the country don't see an inflow of new families, so as the people living their age, so does the community because there aren't new families moving in. I'm not sure if that's what he meant, but that's how interrupted it.
I'm glad you can interpret it as I can't translate anything he/she posts ... and if what you say is what he means, all that implies is that Florida is more transient. To me, people aging with their homes is called a neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 PM

215 posts, read 277,759 times
Original poster here - I am checking out available properties via google maps satellite and see the high voltage electrical wires running down Chase Rd. I assume all glenmuir and keenes pointe is within close range of these? Does this affect housing prices?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have a problem with people from other countries ? Because its not hard to understand that immigrants tend to have more kids and therefore keep areas stable that may have declined otherwise without new residents.

Last edited by Fl1150; 02-16-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you can interpret it as I can't translate anything he/she posts ... and if what you say is what he means, all that implies is that Florida is more transient. To me, people aging with their homes is called a neighborhood.
What are you talking about ? All I'm saying is without new people moving in after long periods of time they tend to decline and the taxes the city was getting from this neighborhood no longer are being received.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Do you have a problem with people from other countries ? Because its not hard to understand that immigrants tend to have more kids and therefore keep areas stable that may have declined otherwise without new residents.
No, if those immigrants can afford those kids, don't depend on the government and taxpayers to pay for them, and have followed the legal process to get here. Stability of an area due to new immigrants is debatable ...

Last edited by Soup Not See; 02-17-2015 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando