Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
It is like you read my mind- coming back on here to add a new wrinkle. Turns out if husband gets this job, the site he will need to report to is not in Orlando, but rather in Celebration. Thinking of switching my search in that direction. I am a Disney dork- DVC owner at Bay Lake Tower. My husband could take it or leave it. I am very interested in a K-8 elementary as my son could stay for 4 years and we could buy time to figure out a high school.

If you found out the office location was Celebration, would you shift your search southeast of Orlando and eliminate Seminole County?
Not necessarily because with the new 429 and 414 extensions you could still get to Celebration in a reasonable amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
I'd take Oviedo over Celebration any day. Winter Springs is really nice too. Avalon Park would not be atop my choices.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
If he is going to be reporting to Celebration, then live in Celebration or Dr. Phillips / Windermere. I mentioned in another thread, Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Lake Nona, Celebration, Winter Park are considered the top tier parts around Orlando and real estate prices reflect that as well.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
^^^You forgot about Oviedo and Winter Springs.

But if the person will be working near Celebration, than I wouldnt advise Oviedo or Winter Springs b/c they're much further away.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM

215 posts, read 279,464 times
I am literally reading up on every single town mentioned in these posts, I really appreciate the insight you all are providing.

So, husband doesn't like Celebration (he's missing the Disney gene). Windermere I am having struggles finding a place on the right side of the line for schools (Windermere Elementary, Olympia HS). We haven't seen any housing we like in Winter Park, maybe our budget isn't right for it?

Oviedo is staying on the list as my husband will not need to be on site every day, and he can go on off hours. I still think it is a little too far, but hopefully when we head down to look we'll get a better idea.

Any other suggestions or thoughts, I am all ears.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I am literally reading up on every single town mentioned in these posts, I really appreciate the insight you all are providing.

So, husband doesn't like Celebration (he's missing the Disney gene). Windermere I am having struggles finding a place on the right side of the line for schools (Windermere Elementary, Olympia HS). We haven't seen any housing we like in Winter Park, maybe our budget isn't right for it?

Oviedo is staying on the list as my husband will not need to be on site every day, and he can go on off hours. I still think it is a little too far, but hopefully when we head down to look we'll get a better idea.

Any other suggestions or thoughts, I am all ears.
You didn't mention Dr. Phillips, there is a wide variety of housing there.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM

yes BMW335xi- Dr Phillips on list too!

BTW, we are fellow BMW lovers!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
yes BMW335xi- Dr Phillips on list too!

BTW, we are fellow BMW lovers!
If you have any questions about Dr. Phillips, feel free to ask, that's where my house is located. Glad to hear, you must have good taste

Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Any feedback on the various elementary and middle schools in Dr. Phillips (Dr. Phillips and SAndlake, Southwest Middle) and Windermere (Windermere, Keene's Crossing, Lake Whitney, Sunset Park ES and Bridgewater and Gotha Middles)?

BMW335xi do you recommend any particular communities in Dr. Phillips- golf and pool always nice?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Any feedback on the various elementary and middle schools in Dr. Phillips (Dr. Phillips and SAndlake, Southwest Middle) and Windermere (Windermere, Keene's Crossing, Lake Whitney, Sunset Park ES and Bridgewater and Gotha Middles)?

BMW335xi do you recommend any particular communities in Dr. Phillips- golf and pool always nice?
All the public schools in Dr. Phillips are great. When it comes to high school, your kids will either go to Dr. Phillips High or Olympia, which are both good schools. I graduated from Dr. Phillips High in fact. I spent my junior and senior years there.

I don't know if you've read any of my other posts, but I've moved cities every 2-3 years since I was 12. I've been in public schools, private schools (both religious and non-religious) and Dr. Phillips High School was a positive experience, especially for a public school. They offer a lot of different classes, extra-curriculars, they have a good standing with Florida universities. If you are worried about bullies, crime etc, you also don't need to worry much. The school is very big, so it's not like your stereotypical high school, where there are the cool kids, the nerds etc where everyone knows everyone. It felt more like a community college, which is a good thing, less peer-pressure to do stupid things.

Pretty much every house in Dr. Phillips will either have its own pool or be in a community with a community pool. Bay Hill is a very nice community that is popular for golfers. Orange Tree is another community with a golf course that is more affordable. Dr. Phillips isn't a big area, so you really don't need to live in a golf community because most likely you'll only be a 5 minute drive away regardless. There really aren't any bad communities, so I don't have any "beware of ____" tips within Dr. Phillips. If you find a specific home, you can give me the cross-streets or general area and I can give you a more detailed opinion on it, but really, Dr. Phillips is a nice and safe community. It's my first choice to live anywhere in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando