Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 AM

220 posts, read 417,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No lie, I spend about $100/month in tolls... Taking the 408 alone will add up to that bill pretty quick, and the only real other option if traveling East/West along the SR50 corridor is, well, to take SR50/Colonial...
There are going to be suggested alternatives for any toll road if someone could post their house location versus their business location BUT WITH THAT SAID a very simple ROI way to judge it would be to do the following:

How much did you make per year at your current State versus your job in Florida. How much did you pay in taxes at your old state versus Florida and then add $ 100 per month or $ 1200 per year (most will be a lot less then this but just use this to be conservative). If the ROI is there then you have your answer.

I think the problem most of us have (myself included most of the time) is we see it as a constant thing (being charged a toll every time I drive my stupid car) versus other state governments slipping road construction into larger state and local tax rates. The bottom line is the bottom line if your concern is money. I know two families that moved to new housing developments in order to use both the 429 and the 417 knowing they would be paying tolls but preferring the time savings of using those roads (in other words they were justifying the use of those roads versus the free I-4 road that cost them "x" number of minutes per day and the stress involved of being in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
There are going to be suggested alternatives for any toll road if someone could post their house location versus their business location BUT WITH THAT SAID a very simple ROI way to judge it would be to do the following:

How much did you make per year at your current State versus your job in Florida. How much did you pay in taxes at your old state versus Florida and then add $ 100 per month or $ 1200 per year (most will be a lot less then this but just use this to be conservative). If the ROI is there then you have your answer.

I think the problem most of us have (myself included most of the time) is we see it as a constant thing (being charged a toll every time I drive my stupid car) versus other state governments slipping road construction into larger state and local tax rates. The bottom line is the bottom line if your concern is money. I know two families that moved to new housing developments in order to use both the 429 and the 417 knowing they would be paying tolls but preferring the time savings of using those roads (in other words they were justifying the use of those roads versus the free I-4 road that cost them "x" number of minutes per day and the stress involved of being in traffic.
Oh yes, trust me, I love the fact that I can speed through 429 and 408 and get to desired locations in no time.
Taking alternate routes doubles the time it takes me to get anywhere, so I'm not complaining. (Although I still feel the 408 should be free as initially planned... but w/e)

Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,936 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. I don't know what area of the city I'll be moving to yet. I will definitely get the SunPass. Reading all of your comments makes me feel a little better about what to expect.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_rush_11 View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. I don't know what area of the city I'll be moving to yet. I will definitely get the SunPass. Reading all of your comments makes me feel a little better about what to expect.
If you don't have a Sunpass and you run through tolls (or if your Sunpass is inactive), you just get a bill at the end of the month for all the tolls you ran with an extra $2.00 fee. They don't really "punish" you for going through them.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If you don't have a Sunpass and you run through tolls (or if your Sunpass is inactive), you just get a bill at the end of the month for all the tolls you ran with an extra $2.00 fee. They don't really "punish" you for going through them.
Actually if you do this habitually you will eventually get a much larger fine.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
See where you will work then add the time and costs- been doing it for a year and glad it is OVER- now I'll pay toll just for pleasure - moving 6 short miles from my job- keys should be in my hand by 5 PM and the closing is in Maitland-- probably arrive to S Clermont by morning lol--- NOT FUN

Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM

166 posts, read 384,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you live around Winter Park, Downtown, Dr. Phillips / Windermere, Celebration, you'll only need to use toll roads to get to the airport.
If you live in or around the communities of Winter Park, Downtown, Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Celebration, or points north of Winter Park such as Altamonte, Longwood, Lake Mary, etc., and have to regularly travel in a north or south direction on I-4 to get where you need to go, you will be suffering some of the worst construction traffic delays in U.S. history for the next 6 or 7 years as they reconstruct I-4 to add 4 toll lanes in the median.

After that, you’ll then have the privilege of paying up to $14 one-way to move at a decent speed in the toll lanes to avoid the congestion in the general purpose lanes. That’s just between the Kirkman Rd. and SR 434 segment. Then, after that, there will be many more years of construction traffic delays and toll paying as FDOT extends those toll lanes on I-4 north of SR 434 and south of Kirkman Rd.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
$14 one way?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 PM

166 posts, read 384,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
$14 one way?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
"Up to" $14 one-way.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
ok......... up to $14 one way?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando