Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM

148 posts, read 339,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
I assume you are referring to your experiences from several years ago.

The recent extension of Alafaya Trail to the 528, and the 4 lane widening of Alafaya Trail completed a about a year ago, have resolved the major traffic problems in the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area.

Could you please advise if you have any recent traffic congestion experience in the area?
Certainly, traffic congestion must have been worse before the road improvements.

However, I must pose the same question to you regarding your statement that major traffic problems have been "resolved".

How were you able to quantify the previous congestion issues vs. the present?

Do you have any statistical data that has resulted in your conclusion that major traffic problems have indeed been "resolved"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodurante View Post
I agree with you and acknowledged the fact that the particular blog is not exactly "Pulitzer Prize" material...it does not prove anything. I do think it is worth noting that the article's supposed source from the police department described Avalon as a "criminal's paradise". The blog also highlighted the fact that there is only 1 law enforcement personnel per 70k to 100k residents in that particular area which you should find alarming.

And to your point, there is certainly crime in Oviedo. But what you fail to acknowledge is that Oviedo is a city with a population of about 40,000, Avalon Park is much smaller in terms of population and geography but IMO has disproportionately been associated with much more negative incidents in the media.
I agree completely.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 PM

Put it this way, I could get a nicer house for cheaper in AP than I could in Oviedo. But I'd stay in Oviedo and wouldn't consider moving back to AP area. I saw waaay too many things I didn't like, whether it be a cpl shootings, places getting robbed, the UCF girl getting raped, the cars speeding and catching house on fire, ppl ramming fences/gates open with their cars, the countless road rage incidents I saw or heard about, the kid that got hit on his bike and the driver kept driving, or the man that had same thing happen more recently, etc. I have more stories but I won't get into all that. But I'll take Oviedo ppl over AP people any day.

Waaay too many incidents for such a small place for me. I didn't find that a lot of the people in the area had some of the same ideas/morals/respect for others that I did.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:23 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,822 times
They just found a body in a trash Bag in Avalon Park
911 caller: Body found in bag at Avalon Park home - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 PM

AP was on the news like 2 days ago too. but i cant remember what it was.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 PM

166 posts, read 384,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
They just found a body in a trash Bag in Avalon Park
911 caller: Body found in bag at Avalon Park home - Orlando Sentinel
Unfortunately, a suicide.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and acknowledged the fact that the particular blog is not exactly "Pulitzer Prize" material...it does not prove anything. I do think it is worth noting that the article's supposed source from the police department described Avalon as a "criminal's paradise". The blog also highlighted the fact that there is only 1 law enforcement personnel per 70k to 100k residents in that particular area which you should find alarming.

And to your point, there is certainly crime in Oviedo. But what you fail to acknowledge is that Oviedo is a city with a population of about 40,000, Avalon Park is much smaller in terms of population and geography but IMO has disproportionately been associated with much more negative incidents in the media.

If the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area was a criminal's paradise then the available crime statistics would support that ridiculous claim made by you and your random blogger seen below. Do you really believe that an individual such as this, probably living in a bedroom in his mommy and daddy's house, has reputable sources within the OCSO, or doesn't have some other immature, personal agenda?

Since this is the kind of person you apparently rely upon to educate yourself about the current events, or news in the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area (an area where you no longer live), and try and use this type of nonsense to influence others reading this forum, then I say God bless you.

The Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area has about 60,000 residents, about 50% more than the City of Oviedo's roughly 40,000 according to your post. But you should educate yourself to the fact that a smaller or larger number if residents generally doesn't mean anything concerning the crime rate. Crime rate measures are generally calculated by comparing a numerator (i.e., crime) against a denominator (i.e., population) and presented as normalized value, to allow comparisons between areas of different populations.

I don't find the purported number law enforcement personnel assigned to the Dean Road to Chuluota area to be of concern (it's not clear if that includes the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area, but it doesn't matter). It would seem to confirm the fact that if only ONE deputy is all that is required to patrol the entire area of east Orange County from Dean Road to Chuluota, then that area must be extremely safe, as the crime rate data confirms.

If only one OCSO deputy is all that is required to patrol the entire area of east Orange County from Dean Road to Chuluota, then why does the City of Oviedo require over 60 police officers to control their significantly smaller population and geographic area?

The actual statistics shows that the Avalon Park/Waterford Lakes area is one of the safest areas in the 4 county metro area and has an overall crime index over 60% below the national average.

Last edited by Consigliere; 04-03-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Certainly, traffic congestion must have been worse before the road improvements.

However, I must pose the same question to you regarding your statement that major traffic problems have been "resolved".

Do you have any statistical data that has resulted in your conclusion that major traffic problems have indeed been "resolved"?

Quote:
C
It's called experience.

Quote:
Since you apparently live in Seminole County and apparently have no recent experience driving in the Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park area, and want "DATA", I suppose that you could hire a traffic engineering firm to do a traffic analysis of the historical level of service (LOS) vs. the current LOS on the main roadways and provide you with that "DATA" you're looking for. But that would probably cost you in the neighborhood of $100K or more.

I hope you do that to confirm what everyone else who drives in the area already knows. If you don't want to spend that kind of cash, then you could just spend a little time driving Alafaya Trail and Avalon Park Blvd. during a couple of AM and/or PM rush hours to educate yourself as to the current traffic conditions. If you don't want to do either, then enough said.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:19 AM

i understand your defensive since you probably live in the East Orlando area of AP/Waterford Lakes. But 3 ppl that lived in that area are teling you that crime was definitely an issue there. i'm not sure why one source you keep referring to would say crime rate is so low, but i feel that to be inaccurate. i mean, in the just few yrs i was there, i saw and heard more crime stuff than i have in Oviedo in the same amount of time.

i have already mentioned countless things that happened when i was there- the break ins, the car burglaries, the shootings. are you just discrediting that? i wouldn't even let my wife jog at night. You know why???????????? because my neighbors' girlfriend was followed throughout the entire neighborhood by a man in a van. waaaaay too many incidents ocurred while i was in there for my liking. if it was a great place, that i felt was safe and good for kids, i'd be there.

for crying out loud, AP was in the news twice in 3 days. and i never even watch the news and noticed this!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,822 times
Traffic is much better going down Alafaya towards Eastwood/Stoneybrook, but it can still be bad at the intersection of Woodbury and Lake Underhill. I avoid it at certain times of the day. I certainly feel very safe walking around Eastwood Day or night. Ditto for Downtown AP and Waterford proper. The area around Dean is sketchy. I don't know that I consider that part of this area though. It's difinitely not as safe . I also think that as you head up AP BLVD towards e Colonial, past all of the schools the neighborhood is not as nice.
It's still by far the safest place I have lived in 6 states. I've been here 3 years.
BTW my propery value has gone WAY up since I purchased 3 years ago and most homes for sale here now are regular sales.

Not sure how many crime stats you require
Heres on which puts 32828 at 37 , well below Floridas average of 87 and the USA of 100.. This same site puts Oviedo at 26
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Another one puts 32828 at 24 out of 100 but Oviedo is at 128.
http://www.realtor.com/local/Oviedo_FL/lifestyle

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando