Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM

166 posts, read 382,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodurante View Post
Actually , I was curious and checked the rankings in schooldigger as well. It turns out they may have more in common with the US News rankings than I previously thought. The actual top 5 is noted below for the Orlando Metro area.

1. Osceola County School For The Arts
2. Winter Park High
3. Crooms Academy
4. Olympia
5. Hagerty
I did not include specialty schools (IT, arts) in my post since the OP did not express an interest in a specialty school for only IT or the arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 AM

3,941 posts, read 5,046,114 times
Oviedo, Oviedo, Oviedo, Oviedo.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 AM

133 posts, read 276,473 times
I would say Olympia High School or Dr. Phillips High School. The neighborhoods around them are beautiful and you'd be close to pretty much everything.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM

3,941 posts, read 5,046,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx2O11xX View Post
I would say Olympia High School or Dr. Phillips High School. The neighborhoods around them are beautiful and you'd be close to pretty much everything.
I don't think you've spent significant time in either of those schools to believe that they are the best. I'm sorry but Orange County has nothing on SCPS schools in terms of academic success, achievement, and huge parental involvement.

Metrowest and Florida Center (Kirkman) are hardly dream areas.
Olympia and DP have many quality features- but some bad ones as well.
Both zones may take a hit too when the new OCPS HS opens up on the West side.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM

995 posts, read 1,687,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I don't think you've spent significant time in either of those schools to believe that they are the best. I'm sorry but Orange County has nothing on SCPS schools in terms of academic success, achievement, and huge parental involvement.

Metrowest and Florida Center (Kirkman) are hardly dream areas.
Olympia and DP have many quality features- but some bad ones as well.
Both zones may take a hit too when the new OCPS HS opens up on the West side.
This is a ridiculous blanket statement. There are terrible schools in SCPS as well and there are schools in OCPS with incredible academic success achievement and parental involvement.

Let me guess, you live in Seminole County.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM

24,347 posts, read 26,771,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
This is a ridiculous blanket statement. There are terrible schools in SCPS as well and there are schools in OCPS with incredible academic success achievement and parental involvement.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,236,597 times
The Villages Charter High School

This is a charter school system with all grade levels on a single large campus with multiple new buildings.
It's located north of Orlando and south of Ocala off Rt 307 on Rt 466 in central Florida.
One parent must work within the Villages physical locale and students come from a wide geographic area.
There is no bus service so parents must drop off and pick up daily.

Here are the test scores Villages Charter HS 3.2 math/ 3.3 reading vs Winter Park HS 2.5 math/ 3.1 reading.The academy link top left gives further details about programs.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,516,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post

Lyman High in Seminole County has its share of problems from what I understand. I would take Olympia or WP over Lyman any day.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM

26,941 posts, read 43,460,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Lyman High in Seminole County has its share of problems from what I understand. I would take Olympia or WP over Lyman any day.
That was in the past, much like Seminole High School which has quietly overtaken perennial frontrunner darling...Lake Mary HS. Those with racial issues and other pre-conceived notions will continue to think otherwise I'm sure.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,516,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That was in the past, much like Seminole High School which has quietly overtaken perennial frontrunner darling...Lake Mary HS. Those with racial issues and other pre-conceived notions will continue to think otherwise I'm sure.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here with your, "Those with racial issues and other preconceived notions will continue to think otherwise. I'm sure"

Care to explain. Or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando