Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM

77 posts, read 118,690 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're here now .. 27th St. It's hard to see with all the fog however the restrooms and this entire area is filthy. I kept hearing how nice it is here ... are we in the wrong area? Someone once mentioned the 'North side' ...does anyone have an address or landmark?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
it is a little beach town. most FL beach towns ppl live and enjoy b/c they like the beach. but i will say that many small beach towns along the east coast are not......... as pretty as other areas. altho i will say that new smyrna bch is nicer than other beach towns (ex: Cocoa Bch, Daytona, etc).

Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have never gotten the big attraction to New Smyrna Beach by locals other than the fact it's a nostalgia thing..."where we used to come as a kid with family or while in high school" kind of a thing. It has always seemed grimya round the edges to me and not very clean/well kept up in many instances like 27th Street where the proximity to a 7-11 seems to draw a lot of undesirables looking for yet more beer and cigarettes, etc.

I find living in Seminole County that it's an equal hour drive (time wise) to the north end of Cocoa Beach where it's considerably cleaner and better kept up on weekends. If I had my druthers however I'd rather spend another 15 minutes beyond that hour and go someplace like Crescent Beach where it's even a bit nicer.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM

yea, i agree Kyle. but i think its like this with most small FL beach towns. not as nice as places like Oviedo for example. It's a little run down in appearance, transient, etc. i like going to the beach but theres really no beach town i'd leave Oviedo for unless it were up in Northern FL.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
yea, i agree Kyle. but i think its like this with most small FL beach towns. not as nice as places like Oviedo for example. It's a little run down in appearance, transient, etc. i like going to the beach but theres really no beach town i'd leave Oviedo for unless it were up in Northern FL.
There are a number of nice beach towns on the east coast which aren't too far away but seemingly NSB and Daytona are the primary options for some reason. Places like Indialantic, Melbourne Beach and St Augustine Beach are some good examples lacking that run down/transient feel.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:14 AM

^^^ I was thinking St Aug beach, Amelia/Fernandina Bch are still nice. I dont like Daytona or most of Cocoa much at all, altho Jetty Pk in northern Cocoa Bch area is nice.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:18 PM

110 posts, read 141,026 times
New Smyrna Beach is lovely. I'm not sure where you are that has dirty restrooms. If you're truly complaining about dirty public restrooms at the beach, I don't know what to tell you. The cleanliness of public bathrooms, ones that are used by hundreds of people each day, really isn't an indicator of an area as a whole. After all, I did see a lady sans pants washing out panties in the sink at Bellagio restroom, albeit a filthy restroom, one time.

But anyway, the north side of the town by the jetty is lovely. Thank goodness, there's aren't any public parking lots down that way other than at the park which has a charge. On the far other side of the town is Canaveral National Seashore. Hands down, it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the entire state. It's no coincidence that both ends of the town that have entry fees are sans riff raff.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 PM

NSB is decent. its better than some others in the area for sure. but most FL beach towns do have a more run-down/older look than other areas.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 AM

732 posts, read 969,135 times
It is true most beach type places do look older. Head up to Flagler Ave area perhaps.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
New Smyrna Beach is lovely. I'm not sure where you are that has dirty restrooms. If you're truly complaining about dirty public restrooms at the beach, I don't know what to tell you. The cleanliness of public bathrooms, ones that are used by hundreds of people each day, really isn't an indicator of an area as a whole. After all, I did see a lady sans pants washing out panties in the sink at Bellagio restroom, albeit a filthy restroom, one time.

But anyway, the north side of the town by the jetty is lovely. Thank goodness, there's aren't any public parking lots down that way other than at the park which has a charge. On the far other side of the town is Canaveral National Seashore. Hands down, it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the entire state. It's no coincidence that both ends of the town that have entry fees are sans riff raff.

Yep. A very overlooked place, if you ask me. My favorite getaway spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando