Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,289,843 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Philly and the orlando area. I will say that the weather isnt really that different during the summer. But the winter is where orlando is just so much better between (November-March).

I think the toughest part about orlando for most people is the job market. Once the jobs are figured out the lifestyle is much easier.

In my field i would have never got the experience i needed if i stayed in orlando. Moving to the northeast really allowed me to grow my career. But now that career experience is good i would move back to orlando at higher pay rate if i could find a job in orlando that pays a higher rate.

Orlando is a great area though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM

215 posts, read 277,550 times
I am also moving from Philadelphia suburbs to Orlando area in June. In our case, moving with my husband's company. Since I have never really lived outside this area, I am very nervous- about things to do, the heat, quality of the school system, making friends, getting a decent pizza...the list goes on! My husband is more excited for a new adventure.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:49 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
I am also moving from Philadelphia suburbs to Orlando area in June. In our case, moving with my husband's company. Since I have never really lived outside this area, I am very nervous- about things to do, the heat, quality of the school system, making friends, getting a decent pizza...the list goes on! My husband is more excited for a new adventure.
The only real issues since employment is secured is the extended heat (minus winter) and maybe getting a decent pizza...depending upon one's preferences. There are actually very good quality schools in Seminole County that compare favorably to most Northeast US schools (unless you're coming from one of the top percentile school districts there) and even then won't be a big dropoff.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 PM

11 posts, read 10,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a big change and had lived here before so it wasn't a complete surprise. The biggest adjustment is probably the restaurant/food scene and grocery shopping as it's quite different to what you're accustomed to. Many also have to adjust to the cultural differences in terms of everyday interests you might have enjoyed in Philly that are either missing or just not the same. The good news is the weather (for me anyway) trumps that, especially November through April. : ) People will say bad things about the heat and humidity here but can say there's little difference in recent years between here and Philly. The last few years I lived in Philly the average high temperature was actually higher than here in Central Florida in July and only a shade off in June and August. This area is also better equipped for the heat as everything is well air-conditioned, which wasn't always the case in Philly from my experience.
Humidity in Philly is pretty high too, and the worst thing is that even in winter air is still very moist, which makes it so much colder...We avoid being outside in the winter and it seems as we spend 3-4 months inside the house-very depressing

Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 PM

82 posts, read 94,655 times
Philly to Orlando is a common move these days.Winter around here is just terrible.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 PM

156 posts, read 218,952 times
Personal opinion after driving many areas and looking/reviewing rating, I would stay in Sanford /Lake Mary near Heathrow Elementary/Markham for better school. I am new here as well and now live in Lake Nona. You don't want to move to lake Nona if you are attending FT Seminole college. It will be stressful to drive to your college. I would live near 417 (yes toll) but only 2x a week so ok-easier to get to MCO. Oviedo-the only section I like is the chiles middle/keene elementary/ however I find it is inconvenience to get to anywhere especially to the airport. I drove there from lake nona to look for house there and I was tired of the commute. anything near 417 oviedo closer to winter park, convenience-but don't like the schools there. I would not recommend Altamonte springs- school compared to oviedo schools/heathrow. It is congested and I don't like to get on I4. I highly recommend stay closer to I417 while being near your college.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 PM

156 posts, read 218,952 times
sorry to add-altamonte springs is convenience to everything, however your priority from what i read is schools, work.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove View Post
sorry to add-altamonte springs is convenience to everything, however your priority from what i read is schools, work.
yes, it would be nice to live somewhere near college and good elementary school, and about 30-45 min away from airport.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaBeLov View Post
yes, it would be nice to live somewhere near college and good elementary school, and about 30-45 min away from airport.
Sanford nails all of that. : )

Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sanford nails all of that. : )
I guess Sanford it is does anyone know if there are any apartments we should avoid? or maybe recommend something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando