Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM

497 posts, read 1,560,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Sunshine in Florida is an advertising ploy. We get more cloudy days then Philadelphia and we don't even get winters like them. I'm not saying we get no sun, we just get a lot of clouds from the humidity. Austin Texas gets more sunshine. I know this because I've worked in Solar Panel production.
Well, unless CD is lying I don't believe it...here is the charts...

Orlando
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun3782.png (broken link)

Phily

http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun19125.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM

29 posts, read 100,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizS View Post
JC1972, please heed the advice of everyone on this board. We are not "whiny complainers" - we are giving you the information you need to know. Here is my story: I came to Orlando almost 2 years ago from NJ. Biggest mistake of my life. An apartment runs you MORE than I was paying in NJ for much less pay. I ended up staying with my sister for 5 months and now I am living in my uncle's trailer - I can't afford anything else on the salaries paid here. I have my bachelor's degree, enrolled agent license with the IRS and 15 years experience and they think $35K is a great salary. DO NOT RELY ON WHAT YOU READ ON CAREERBUILDER. The jobs are posted by recruiters to fill their databases and when you call all you will be offered are temp jobs. When asked about the posted positions they hem and haw and say "oh, I think that's been filled" but you'll see that same job posted for the next 3 weeks. Get it? It's to get you to call them. There are no decent paying jobs here. My first job through a recruiter I was told was temp to perm. The recruiter and the company lied - it was long term temp (and yes, I caught them in the lie). Second job through the newspaper. CPA firm lied about position, was working on a completely different system than advertised and were the meanest people on the face of the earth. 3 people were hired Dec 06 and the same 3 people (including myself) quit by April 07. Next job an employer contacted me, seemed to be an "ideal" job, decent pay, decent work environment. Guess what? The employer was a thief and was embezzling all the money. Company is now out of business. But wait, there's more. A recruiter (different one than the first) called with a fantastic job for me, quick commute, fantastic pay, fantastic career opportunity. Met with prospective employer at the recruiter's office along with 4 other candidates. Had a second interview. Was hired. I showed up for work only to be told by the person I interviewed with that there is no job. They all lied. Recruiter never worked with this company before and never checked it out to see if they were legit. Her reaction? Oh well. Yeah, oh my a***. No job has lasted more than 5 months down (the last one wasn't even 5 minutes). No health insurance all this time. Oh yeah, you can temp and get health insurance through the temp agency for like $500/month. Hmmm... do you think anyone can afford that when the temp job only pays like $12/hour? DO NOT MOVE HERE. I am in the process of moving and hope to be out of here within a month.
I didn't say everyone was a whiny complainer. But there are some that are. And not everyone has the same opinion. I am new to this site and did not know about CareerBuilder being unreliable. Thanks for the tip. I cannot see rent in FL being more than NY (Long Island). We see rent in Lake Mary @ $1250 for 3BD/2BA house whereas up here that would get you an apt. We still want to come down and take a look. Right now we're just doing research.
LizS, where are you moving to?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM

13 posts, read 33,183 times
Curt: I am an accountant with 15 years experience (my last position was controllership at a small manufacturing company), have my bachelor's degree in Business Administration and am an enrolled agent with the IRS (2-day, 4-part exam that allows me to represent you before the IRS). Yes there are jobs, but $35K does not pay anything, and then you throw in the non-existent benefits, I'm going backwards in my career.

JC1972: I understand that you think that's good rent, but wait until you see the pay you will be offered. What I'm saying is, everything here is quite expensive when compared to how depressed salaries are here. I'm moving to Denver. I've checked out the area, apartments, job opportunities and I know it offers me so much more than Florida. I am only in Florida because the rest of my family is here. They like it but they moved here 16 plus years ago. Apparently it was a lot different then.

I know you want to check it out and if you like it I truly do hope it works out for you. I just feel that these last two years of hell could have been avoided if someone, anyone, was as honest to me about Florida as this forum is being to you. So I am glad that you are open to hearing what we have to say and hopefully it will help you to make the best decision for you and your family. By the way, Lake Mary is one of the few places that I actually do like in Florida, it is a beautiful area and I have heard that the schools are excellent.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM

765 posts, read 2,627,401 times
I would also suggest you look in the Tampa Bay area. It is not as much a service based economy, as Orlando is. You may find a better quality of life in that area of Florida. I am considering a move there myself, when I finish college.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 PM

88 posts, read 370,708 times
Cranes Roost was fairly accurate...the problem with the job market is primarily the influx of foreign nationals who will work for 1/10th what you would. More importantly, YOUR mindset...Stop thinking in terms of "who will pay methe most" instead switch gears to "How much can I charge..."
Entrepreneurship is Floridas biggest secret!
Hang your own slate...F - workin for the man!
Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM

31 posts, read 92,632 times
Post nurse wages

Does anyone have any idea what nursing wages are here? How about work environment for nurses such as patient to staff ratios. Would it realistic to think I could make a good living in Orlando as an RN?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:44 AM

384 posts, read 1,705,506 times
I have to agree with most of the people in here when they say the pay is lousy here. I on the other hand may be one of the few fortunate who makes over 50k a year. I was very dissatisfied with the pay here in Orlando and it took moving from job to job to finally find what is considered a decent pay here in Orlando. As a credit manager I feel that 55k is a bit low, nevertheles, it sure beats what the majority is making. I can say that they credit and risk analysts where I work start off with a $20.00 an hour minimum depending on experience. Then again our company is one of the few that will pay that much for a credit and risk analyst. In many ways I regret moving here, I miss the change of seasons, and holidays just aren't as festive, crime has increased dramatically, education isn't the best and there is little for kids to do here which explains the increase in crime. I think though that eventually, Florida will catch up with the rest of the country...especially those northern states....I believe that this is due to employers wanting quality employees and wanting to reduce their turn over rates.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 AM

732 posts, read 4,147,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Well, unless CD is lying I don't believe it...here is the charts...

Orlando
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun3782.png (broken link)

Phily

http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun19125.png (broken link)
And how much of that Sunshine in Florida radiates and makes its way past the clouds?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,937,851 times
What does the sunshine here have to do with the topic of the thread?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 AM

765 posts, read 2,627,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
What does the sunshine here have to do with the topic of the thread?
Because they pay us here in sunshine! Didn't you know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando