Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 AM

110 posts, read 140,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Really you have history of trying to portray Central Florida as racist place which is really funny that you go find an article to fit that notion. I'm sorry you no value to add to this forum but things like this as I remember you posting something like this earlier. Secondly you cant judge a place how many times the "N" word is thrown around as that is not scientific at as the word gotten used across "race boundaries". With all that said yes racists people do live here and no I don't wear rose colored glasses. Seriously California is all the way blue and the Baltimore area.
It's obvious you didn't even look at the link. That's not an article. It's a full length Pulitzer Prize winning book about the horrific history of racism in Lake County, Florida. Do you realize how prestigious the Pulitzer is? Do you sincerely think the panel of judges awarded the Pulitzer to the author because they have a deep seated hatred for little old Lake County, Florida? I can assure you that most of those judges had likely never been to Lake County, much less heard of it. It also was awarded Best Book of the Year by the Boston Globe in 2012. The history of racism in Central Florida is well documented. You may not like it but the sad history in Central Florida won't cease to exist simply because you turn a blind eye to it. I grew up in Lake County. The KKK attempted to march in my hometown's Christmas parade in the late eighties in Lake County. Nope, not racist! Right? You're naive and foolish to think the only identifier of racism is a person who uses the N word.

I'm just going to venture a guess that you're a straight, white male. If your birth lottery were any less privileged, you'd be whistling a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
Not surprising at all considering an entire Pulitzer Prize winning book was written about the horrific murder of blacks in Groveland.

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America: Gilbert King: 9780061792267: Amazon.com: Books

Sorry Crane's Rooster, I disagree. Racism and bigotry aren't the same everywhere. It was and continues to be particularly awful in the south.

Aesthetically Central Florida is better but the attitudes are still bigoted, most unfortunately. Central Florida needs less religious and more highly educated people in order for this to change.
With all due respect I would disagree as well. Racism may be more open at times in the South but it is no less prevalent in other places. In my travels I thought the type of racism and segregation in places like Boston and the Bay Area are just as bad as any place I've been in the south, maybe worse. The Bay Area is so liberal but living in Oakland and San Francisco is like living in 2 separate worlds. I have never seen so much pent up frustration in the community as I did in Oakland and parts of the East Bay. I don't purport to know exactly what's happening in Baltimore but having lived in DC, seen the abject poverty of SE DC and neighborhoods just steps away from the capital I'm not at all shocked by what happened a few nights back. BTW although I am myself am not religious I don't think there's any correlation between being faithful and being racists, nor is there any immunity between being educated and being racists. Some of the biggest racists I have met are academic elitists. That being said, racism is simply something in my opinion that is taught. It's raceless, classless and can affect any socio-economic status as long you let it. My older generations in my family had racists tendencies and I admit it. I just do my best to to teach my nieces and nephews to judge others by how they treat you.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
No worse in cfl than the panhandle....probably a lot better actually

Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Ever heard of the OCOEE Race Riot

Ocoee massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Didnt know that ocoee was all white till 1981 wow!!!!

Central Florida has a long history of Racial hatred towards blacks. Especially wealthy blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando