U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,132,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well, if we're using the county argument which has been used extensively to discount Jacksonville's size, Orange County/Orlando is the sixth largest county in Florida. Yay! We're number 6! My point is the numbers aren't consistent when comparing metro areas and don't reflect the real influence of the city itself, as in infrastructure and density. Orlando isn't the only example. San Antonio in my opinion is another.
Again the point and truth have eluded you. Did Davie even remotely suggest we use ALL of Orange County's population to bolster Orlando's numbers? This clearly shows you have little to no idea how many people actually live in Orange County alone. What he was suggesting was that many zip codes are called Orlando like his own but belong to unincorporated OC. They are fully developed and enjoy having restaurants and shopping, except their services come from the county and not the city. What he did was pull the population stats from these zip codes off of City-Data and added them all up to show how many people write Orlando as their address. He was demonstrating that if those areas were brought into the city proper, how much larger Orlando would be literally over night. My point has constantly been to urge this debate to not consider metro or city limits but to rather look at what is actually there and on the ground.

By the way, Orange County's entire population is: 1,145,956 not 800k. Orlando's urban area is 1,377,342, which is still a good number, but sells it short of all those commuters from the podunk towns a little further out which are included in Orlando's metro pop of 2,134,411.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

1,765 posts, read 957,792 times
Quote:
I do what's called emphasizing fact versus half-baked opinion. A city of 238,000 is small, especially when it's designated "metro area" contains 2 million people and encompasses 4000 square miles, which is insane speaking of urban planning and whatnot. To suggest Orlando's sphere of influence encompasses an area so large is without precedent for a city it's size. The city of Orlando itself is only 100 square miles. The argument that Orlando is some big vibrant city is a myth and at best it's a mid-sized Sunbelt city seeing significant growth. I'm not downsizing Orlando, but I'm also not over-exaggerating it's size and influence like many here seem prone to do.

Of course you should you say you live in Orlando if your zip code indicates proximity. I don't say I live in Orlando, I say live in Sanford, NE of Orlando halfway to Daytona Beach. Someone who lives in Winter Park should do similar, as well as someone in Windermere or Clermont. I'm sorry, but your argument is completely lacking in common sense.
Excellent post...too bad the Orlando cheerleaders will not get their heads out of the sand long enough to understand what constitutes an actual big vibrant city.
Orlando cheerleaders have bought into the delusions and the hype that this small town promotes...

There are two kinds of people in Orlando and on these forums...the one who believes all the hype and is living in Orlando's Delusions of Grandeur Bubble and the one that is on here trying to sell the area, so they can sell their house and get the heck out...

Quote:
I do like this area but I grow tired of those who think this is a world class city. It's not..trust me. However it has the potential and won't get there if so many think it's already arrived.I think it's time to put down the rose-colored glasses, look at the many flaws and to challenge community leaders to address them. It's time to stop riding on the tourism coattails, work on diversifying the economy and keep/attract a more well-educated population. And to answer your question, no I feel I'm not ever "right" but everyone can have their opinion last I checked
Unfortunately you waste your breath because these people do not understand what constitutes a big vibrant city and you're so right when you say as long as Orlando believes that it is in the same league as NYC (which some posters actually compared it to ) it won't ever get there....

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM

23,999 posts, read 32,360,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Excellent post...too bad the Orlando cheerleaders will not get their heads out of the sand long enough to understand what constitutes an actual big vibrant city.
Orlando cheerleaders have bought into the delusions and the hype that this small town promotes...

There are two kinds of people in Orlando and on these forums...the one who believes all the hype and is living in Orlando's Delusions of Grandeur Bubble and the one that is on here trying to sell the area, so they can sell their house and get the heck out...

Unfortunately you waste your breath because these people do not understand what constitutes a big vibrant city and you're so right when you say as long as Orlando believes that it is the same league as NYC (which some posters actually compared it to ) it won't ever get there....
I lived in NYC and it's surrounds for well over a decade, so I know what a big city is. I don't want that rat race every day any more. NYC has it's advantages, but from a day-to-day living and working perspective, it gets really old really quick.

Orlando offers me what I need. Is it perfect? No. But here's a hint--NO PLACE IS!

I have no desire to sell my home, ever. Well, not until I die, and then it won't be my problem. And that God willing will be many, many decades down the road.

If you hate it here so much, why not leave? Go live in Detroit or some other fading rust belt city.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,833,133 times
Quote:

Unfortunately you waste your breath because these people do not understand what constitutes a big vibrant city and you're so right when you say as long as Orlando believes that it is in the same league as NYC (which some posters actually compared it to ) it won't ever get there....
There are plenty of people who love Orlando for exactly what it is. I love it here, and I certainly understand that it is not a big city... but it's not a small town, either.

I don't think anyone honestly believes Orlando can stand against NYC.. I remember an Orlando vs. NYC thread a while back which seemed to be more of a baiting game than an honest comparison.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM

4,912 posts, read 4,492,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There are plenty of people who love Orlando for exactly what it is. I love it here, and I certainly understand that it is not a big city... but it's not a small town, either.

I don't think anyone honestly believes Orlando can stand against NYC.. I remember an Orlando vs. NYC thread a while back which seemed to be more of a baiting game than an honest comparison.
That poster is a big fan of Detroit, actually, and feels that it belongs in the same grouping as NYC or LA

Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM

1,765 posts, read 957,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That poster is a big fan of Detroit, actually, and feels that it belongs in the same grouping as NYC or LA
Obviously you do not understand what you read....

Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM

5,441 posts, read 7,166,639 times
Quote:
Obviously you do not understand what you read....
I dont believe Orlando goes in the same league as NY or LA and may never will be

And to me, Orlando is a big city. I was born in a town of 105,000 people, Waterbury, CT. Im from a state where "big cities" dont exist, and the nearest one is 90 miles away

In terms of population Orlando is in the same league as these cities. Metro population, NOT city proper

San Antonio, TX metro population 2,142,508
Cincinnati, OH metro pop: 2,130,151
Sacramento, CA metro pop: 2,149,127
Las Vegas, NV metro pop: 1,951,269
Charlotte, NC metro pop: 1,758,038

And to me, Orlando is just the right size. Its big, but its not TOO big, but its certainly not a podunk town either

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,132,627 times
This is getting completely out of hand. Why is it that the posters hell bent on convincing us that Orlando is small time compared to the big cities think we are the ones out of touch with common sense. In this thread no Orlando supporter has argued that. We might get a little offended when you suggest that our growing, diversifying, metro area is never going to be anything but Podunk. How come discussing the abundance of things to do, or rebutting the laughable idea that Raleigh is the same size as Orlando, equals Orlando homer to you guys? Bottom line, we love this city because it's the one we all choose to live in. I've lived in worse places and my family is from a so-called better place so I'm familiar about what we do have here and what were missing. However I am thankful everyday to be a part of the transformation this city is going through. Some people I know would have gone off to a place that's already established and rolling along which is cool, but that's not for me. I am an urban pioneer, so yolk them oxen together and hitch up my covered wagon, I'm in for the long haul and will celebrate every time we successfully float the river here on the Orlando Trail .

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,148,059 times
You can't compare 99.99% of cities in the world to NYC, that's why it's considered world class, and to some, the center of the universe. I agree with Davie that we really should compare ourselves to comparable metro areas (such as the ones he listed) to guide our own growth. For example we are getting Sunrail in a couple of years. It's ludacris to think that Sunrail will become the NYC subway system or lead to anything nearly that extensive. But it is a good comparison for us to look at similarly sized cities like Charlotte and Portland who have undertaken mass transit before us and see why they succeeded. San Antonio is big tourist/convention/Sports tourism area. Both of our communities could learn alot from each other.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM

4,912 posts, read 4,492,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
You can't compare 99.99% of cities in the world to NYC, that's why it's considered world class, and to some, the center of the universe. I agree with Davie that we really should compare ourselves to comparable metro areas (such as the ones he listed) to guide our own growth. For example we are getting Sunrail in a couple of years. It's ludacris to think that Sunrail will become the NYC subway system or lead to anything nearly that extensive. But it is a good comparison for us to look at similarly sized cities like Charlotte and Portland who have undertaken mass transit before us and see why they succeeded. San Antonio is big tourist/convention/Sports tourism area. Both of our communities could learn alot from each other.
Yep. I've found this concept to be helpful in grouping various cities

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando