Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnell67 View Post
Hopefully you are not expecting to see a lot of really good looking women of any age group because they dont live here, and I havent figured that one out either.
Of any age group? That's a laugh. Have you even stepped foot in Thornton Park or downtown on a weekend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM

46 posts, read 154,377 times
I lived in Orlando for about 2 years until I left in 2005. Like all other cities, Orlando has both good and bad things about the city.

To me, it was just a typical Floridian city with high cost of living, diversity, and urban sprawl everywhere with plenty of jobs when I lived there. I am not sure about the current job market there though.

One thing I really loved about Orlando is that the city has the best drinking tap water along with Disney World, Universal Studio, International Drive, shopping malls, and many other amusement parks and water parks. Without them, Orlando would be very boring and ordinary.

The cons of living in Orlando would be hot, brutally humid summers and traffic. Also, Orlando has some swampy parts mostly in the west I think. The closer you live to an ocean, less humid it would be because of ocean breezes. With Orlando being in Central Florida away from the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean, that explains why it's brutally humid.

It is my suggestion for anyone who is interested in Orlando to visit the city first to see if it's really for you. For me, I didn't do that; that was my mistake. Those two brutal, humid summers forced me to move back to my home state Mississippi. My home state has humid summers but not that extreme as Orlando's.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnell67 View Post
The people here are really pissed off, i have no idea why. This is a large city landwise (68 square miles) and not very dense (220 thousand) but this is largest collection of *******s i have ever seen. Rude, angry and obnoxious would characterize most of the people I have met here. Hopefully you are not expecting to see a lot of really good looking women of any age group because they dont live here, and I havent figured that one out either. After you eliminate the tourists and students, the people who are left are the ones who either directly or indirectly work for those 2 groups.
I COMPLETELY AGREE with you (in bold). The 2nd part regarding the females... I disagree with. I think there are a large number of attractive women in Orlando. But the first part (regarding the people), I completely agree with - I dont know where they all came here from, but so many angry, snobby, and rude people.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
You must be a recent transplant. After you have been here awhile you will learn where the good looking women hang out and realize most of the rude, angry, and odnoxious people are people like yourself that move / relocate here and wonder why everything here is not like "back at home."
I'm a native and I agree about what he/she said about the rude/angry/obnoxious people.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

228 posts, read 536,536 times
Everyone associates Orlando with Disney and the rest of the theme parks. These are tourist traps along with the areas around them; downtown disney, Highway 192, CR 535, etc. People that live here rarely go to these locations. I know I avoid them, but everytime I have friends and relatives come in from out of town, they want to go there. There is so much more to do in Orlando and the surrounding areas than going to Disney!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
The cons of living in Orlando would be hot, brutally humid summers and traffic. Also, Orlando has some swampy parts mostly in the west I think. The closer you live to an ocean, less humid it would be because of ocean breezes. With Orlando being in Central Florida away from the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean, that explains why it's brutally humid.
Unless you are in Jacksonville you are dealing with about the same thing anywhere in the state of Florida. I don't think the breeze is significant enough to make any difference unless you are literally on the beach. I grew up in South Florida, and a degree here and there really makes no difference. It basically feels the same. The gulf coast barely has any breeze, and Tampa is actually more humid than Orlando.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm a native and I agree about what he/she said about the rude/angry/obnoxious people.
Or maybe you reap what you sow.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM

^^^Yeah, and nobody else mentioned how rude people are? Dude, you dont live here, you dont know how mean and angry people are here. My wife and I are sick and tired of the way people act and treat one another in Orlando. It's beyond ridiculous. I have so many stories I forgot half of them. Trust me, you dont live in Orlando, and it's bad. I dont care if you say Miami is safer than Charlotte - fine. Whatever. I dont care if you say the sky is falling, but believe me on this, people in Orlando can be very rude - the rudest I've ever encountered. You always sweep these issues under the rug. You say Miami is safer than Charlotte, you say S FL drivers arent as bad as they are in Atlanta or Charlotte, you say people in FL are friendlier than they are in NC. You always combat whatever it is I say. I put up a poll and win by a landslide, everytime. You have your opinion and I have mine. But that still doesnt change what I (as well as many others) on here have stated. The same topics about rude people, etc. come up on the Miami forum. Is everyone else wrong too? Or perhaps you've lived in S FL too long so perhaps people being rude is normal to you?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM

It totally depends on where you live in Orlando, as I hear many complaints of rudeness coming out of east Orlando and other suburban areas. I think your description of "beyond ridiculous" is ridiculous itself, as my wife and I have had by far mostly good experiences with the people here, but we hang out in Maitland, Winter Park and the downtown areas almost exclusively with the occasional theme park thrown in. I find more rudeness in the tourism district by far (not the employees though). The more urban crowd tend to be nicer. Go to a park, farmers market, or to some local restaurants and businesses and you will not find rudeness. I have seen no more rudeness here than I did in Atlanta or in my experiences in the northeast. Road rage is the only exception, where it is worse in all of Florida than anywhere else.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I'm out in Clermont, and can't say that people are rude. You run into a bad apple every now and then (you do anywhere!) but overall people are really friendly.

I think that different people have different understandings of the word "rude." Some people think people are rude because they don't wave at everybody who drives by, whether they know them or not. Personally I don't care if someone waves or not, and unless I actually know them, wouldn't think of them as rude if they didn't wave at me. I could care less.

(And there's no way Florida has the most road rage. Sorry, but that one has to go to DC and southern California.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando