Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 36,435 times

Advertisements

"That changes everything, if your spanish you will love it here because English is the second language here and Spanish people seem to love heat and humidity. Also I wasn't trying to berate Mexico I really do like it more than Orlando."

Sorry I was so defensive, things are getting too intense on this thread lol! Thank you all! I'm all for spending those last days of my trip experiencing Orlando and then deciding. (BTW I acknowledge now that Orlando could even be far more dangerous than the most dangerous parts L.A. and the most dangerous parts of Mexico all combined. But maybe not. I don't know!) And you're right -- that's probably why I love heat and humidity, 'cuz I'm Spanish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM

When I went to Mexico I was robbed 1000 dollars at one point. When I went to Italy (for the second time, had previously spent a month there) I was robbed 3000 dollars at one point in the middle of public transportation. No joke. Wherever I go, I'm gonna have to be more careful! Yet living in L.A. for all my 22 years, I haven't been robbed once (but do cringe at the daily news), so you're probably right, I mean it's all relative and depends on a lot of factors -- overall population, certain individual people, good areas, bad areas, terrible areas. So my point is it's complicated.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 PM

Alright, let's talk bluntly. I've come to the conclusion that the general consensus has to be correct -- that Orlando is a miserable place to live and no one in their right mind would willingly move there. So as much as I loved my three-week stay with family in Mexico, that doesn't mean anything at all. There have to be genuine reasons life in Orlando feels so miserable for all of you Orlando residents on these boards. I'm still going to check it out for myself no matter what, but please let me know -- what makes Orlando so horrible? I'm VERY curious. (I mean there's a difference between not perfect and just flat-out miserable.) Thank you!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,338,464 times
I think it would be a good idea to look at some objective sites that delineate the crime rates per capita, the cost of housing, the cost of insurance and taxes as well as the average temps. Just use Google.

I don't believe for a minute that Orlando has a higher per capita crime rate then LA.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry I'm kind of all over the place, it's just I can't make up my mind about anything regarding Orlando or moving there, all the reports I've received on Orlando are VERY conflicting, leaving me completely confused, it's dizzying. But it's a decision I'm gonna have to make. See, I've become very unhappy with L.A., and I've recently decided I'm definitely not staying in California, but Florida's the only place that I've truly wanted to move to, especially Orlando, so that makes it hard for me to give up that possibility, that dream. I guess there is no one clear answer though. I'm still open to hearing any comments though -- positive or negative (although the negative ones have been overwhelming on this site) about Orlando.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM

61 posts, read 262,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBukaba View Post
Sorry I'm kind of all over the place, it's just I can't make up my mind about anything regarding Orlando or moving there, all the reports I've received on Orlando are VERY conflicting, leaving me completely confused, it's dizzying. But it's a decision I'm gonna have to make. See, I've become very unhappy with L.A., and I've recently decided I'm definitely not staying in California, but Florida's the only place that I've truly wanted to move to, especially Orlando, so that makes it hard for me to give up that possibility, that dream. I guess there is no one clear answer though. I'm still open to hearing any comments though -- positive or negative (although the negative ones have been overwhelming on this site) about Orlando.
My advice is to ignore anyone who is either 100% negative or 100% positive. Can you imagine how one-dimensional someone's view of the world must be to see NOTHING good (or bad) about anywhere? I'd listen to only people who present balanced pros and cons.

The truth is Orlando can be a very different experience depending on exactly where in or around Orlando you are. That's why you really have to check out for yourself the areas you would frequent. People do seem to like UCF though.

ores

Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM

"The truth is Orlando can be a very different experience depending on exactly where in or around Orlando you are. That's why you really have to check out for yourself the areas you would frequent."

Thank you! That explains everything! Will do!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think it would be a good idea to look at some objective sites that delineate the crime rates per capita, the cost of housing, the cost of insurance and taxes as well as the average temps. Just use Google.

I don't believe for a minute that Orlando has a higher per capita crime rate then LA.

Sorry to rock the boat but Orlando does have a higher per capita crime rate it was listed as 11th most dangerous in the nation LA was not even close.

LA may have more numbers of crime but comparing that to the amount of people it is really not bad.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,338,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBukaba View Post
"The truth is Orlando can be a very different experience depending on exactly where in or around Orlando you are. That's why you really have to check out for yourself the areas you would frequent."

Thank you! That explains everything! Will do!
I can tell you another thing, when I first moved here I rented an apartment in a not very nice part of town, needless to say I didn't enjoy living here at that time. After having been here for 6 months I found a house in a nice quiet little town that reminded me of the little town I had grown up in and have enjoyed living here alot more ever since.

Just keep in mind that no one place is right for everyone and you might love ONE part of Orlando and hate another. There are certainly parts of Florida you couldn't PAY me to live in.

One thing I wonder if you have thought of since you live in California, you can't be used to rain and humidity, its VERY different then the dry west coast and if your not used to it or adapt to it the humidity can feel oppressive. I happen to like it but its not for everyone.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 PM

I've decided that I'm moving there in spite of the crime, because I might love it in spite of that. I'm going to give it a chance. As for rain, I like the rain a lot, and wouldn't mind a lot of it, so that probably won't be an issue for me. I do at least think I'll like the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando