Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:27 PM

207 posts, read 926,202 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orlando about 4 months ago despite the naysayers and I'm glad I did. To date my experience has been very positive and nothing like what some have described here on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
If you are from LA, Orlando actually won't seem that different. The main difference is that we have very little real urban area. This area is made of pockets of small cities and towns that have grown together, with suburban sprawl in between. Whereas LA is all centered around LA, in the Central Florida area everything is decentralized. Like LA there is alot of traffic, though traffic is not yet as bad in LA, it is getting closer and closer every year. There isn't much in the way of public transportation and Lynx busses aren't that great as bus services go.

Orlando's weather is extremely humid in the summer, unlike southern California which is dry. I'd be tempted to say it probably has one of the highest heat indexes in the US. The thermometer may say 94 but it'll feel like 108-110. And it is like this almost every day throughout summer. Orlando's always been hot and humid but you can also blame global warming and the urban heat island effect, I suppose.

And right now the economy in Orlando is starting to suck. Unemployment in the state is going up.

On the other hand, it has nice weather for about six to eight months of the year (but California has that too, and probably more), housing prices are a little cheaper than California. But the pay is also less, we don't have a more progressive government like California, either... our Republicans are not Schwartenegger moderates. In South Florida the politics is mostly Banana Republic level. Including fistfights by grown men in the legislature. In Central Florida it has been mostly good-ole-boy and lots of sucking up to developers

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Nobody can really answer this for you nor talk you into nor out of something based solely on their preferences. I personally believe that UCF is an excellent university. The main campus is not anywhere near the downtown area of Orlando and is way east of the actual city area. The area has grown fast since changing it's name from Florida Tech to Univeristy of Central Florida.

There is really only one way to find out and that's to give it a try. You can always return to CA if you find FL is not for you. But you'll never really know until you try. If you let the angry words of disgruntled FL residents or former FL residents dissuade you from moving to FL, you'll always wonder.

Eliminate that wonder by trying it on for size. I doubt the FL expenses are all that different than in CA. I was born in CA. It wasn't the right fit for me. I lived in FL. That wasn't a good fit, either. But there are a whole lot of people who love it. You won't know if you are in that number until you try it for yourself.

Good luck. Don't forget the shades, sunscreen and bug spray.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBukaba View Post
I've decided that I'm moving there in spite of the crime, because I might love it in spite of that. I'm going to give it a chance. As for rain, I like the rain a lot, and wouldn't mind a lot of it, so that probably won't be an issue for me. I do at least think I'll like the humidity.

Thats good I wasn't trying to dissuade you from moving here posting the crime stats just trying to give a realistic view. I have lived here more then 20 years and so far nothing has happened to me personally.

I like Florida and the Orlando area has plenty of things to do.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 AM

74 posts, read 70,970 times
Default Good for you

Hi Dubukaba. At the end of the day you are right, no-one can make the decision for you and as i mentioned there are good and bad everywhere. I wanted to say with reference to what you said about being robbed that this is a good example of crime stats. Just because a place has high stats doesnt mean you will get robbed. In reality its all bad luck and wrong place wrong time situations after all you never had a problem in LA and im sure Italys crime isnt as high as LA....i would be interested to know though....lol
Each to their own, Orlando may be the place for you it may not, but i commend you for giving it a try. You can reduce the risk by finding a nice area to live and rent in the current market is low at the moment. Im a Realtor but dont deal in rental properties but from what ive seen even nice neighbourhoods has good rent at the moment. If you need any info on good areas i would be more than happy to discuss it with you and find out what you need and recommend areas, i wont be able to source anything for you but could give you the info so you can visit the areas and search online for good rentals on sites like rentclicks.com etc. Just message me if you need any help.

Nick

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

20 posts, read 79,944 times
I lived in LA and have lived in Orlando over 20 years....
If you don't live or work near Disney, you will be fine, Orlando is a wonderful city,..... traffic NOTHING LIKE LA..... and if you dont have a need to go to bad parts of town, like with any other city, then your fine. Traffic is heavyer, nothing like LA, on I-4 in mornings headed west (south) and then in afternoon headed East (north).

Orlando is alot less expensive... Ive never had a crime to report but then I dont go to bad spots or roam bad areas after dark. Its a beautiful city with lots of great spots and qualities!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM

127 posts, read 499,677 times
As a college kid...I think you would love UCF...i went there for college (just graduated in Dec YAY)...and i had a great college career! I will advise you in leaving this place once you graduate...but you may come to like it and stay...not all of Orlando is a hell-hole...i stayed here!! HAHA

But UCF has come a long way...im jealous at all the new ammenties that were added...i did get to graduate in the new arena (We were the first graduation class to to that!!...so im satisfied) But they have a whole new little DT in UCF now...with dorms, convience stores, eateries, tanning salons, ect!! They are also developing high-rises across the street from UCF that will specefically for student living. I reccommend living on campus your first 1-2 years...i did that and you will love it...you can sleep in till the last minute and walk to class (hehe) instead of dealing with the PARKING NIGHTMARE....get to know freinds and the area...then rent out a house for your last 2 years. Downtown is about 15-20 mins away...plenty of local hangouts for college kids right around UCF. Personally i think you will have a great time here for college....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 23,505 times
I think it is funny because so often I find that so many of the peple that say that they want to leave Orlando and go here and go there. Haven't been anywhere else and just see the grass greener in other places. I have lived in a lot of places, L.A. included....Let's see. Miami, Orlando, Ft. Walton Beach, Atlanta, Dallas and NY. Finally, I even back packed through France for 2 1/2 months and did a 3 month job with my company in Lisbon, Portugal. So I have seen a lot of places and Orlando is not my favorite but it has a lot of Great things and it has a lot of not so great things. But you are thinking of going there for school. I think you need to think about what the schools going to offer you, the weather (can you live with it?). Make a good list of the pro's and make sure you take all the classes you can transfer just in case you have to. But for the most part it is up to you to make it a great experience all my moves were a Great experience only you can make it that!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,485 times
since you are coming here to go to school this should be of interest this is a quote from someone else on the forums i came across thought it would be relevant

Eastern Roamer

Things like this make moving sooner rather than later very appealing.

[url=http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/23/State/State_universities_fe.shtml]State: State universities fear brain drain is setting in[/url]

State: State universities fear brain drain is setting in

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,963 times
My son is graduating from UCF this spring with a degree in computer science. UCF has a program where companies hire students as interns at competitive salaries. My son already has been working with a major company in the area whose main jobs are government contracts. He started full time with benefits this January and has already received a promotion and is a team leader in his division. None of his friends have had a problem finding great jobs they enjoy in their field in Orlando.

We live on the east side of Orlando near Lake Nona where the UCF medical school and the Nemours Medical Research facility will be built. We love this part of town.

We are 15 minutes from UCF and the airport, 30 minutes to the east coast beaches and Port Canaveral (for the cruise ships), 20 minutes to Universal and City Walk (the best for partying!!!) and 25-30 minutes from Disney. We have experienced no crime that I know of in our area.

Come see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando